Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 04:58
Registered Member

Plan: mainly atkins
Stats: 140/112/108 Female 64 inch
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Callanetics or weight training for inch loss?

Hi all,

I've heard really good stuff about Callanetics. As I've hit a plateau with my weight, people have suggested weight training. However, I bulk up really easily and do not want that look, I would prefer a long lean body. Would Callanetics be as effective as weight training? Also, how often do you have to do it to see results. My legs are really bulky due to all the running I do, and I really want to trim them down! Thanks guys,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 08:05
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by missatkins
Hi all,

However, I bulk up really easily and do not want that look, I would prefer a long lean body. Would Callanetics be as effective as weight training?

My legs are really bulky due to all the running I do, and I really want to trim them down! Thanks guys,

Lisa

I don't really have an opinion on callanetics, because I've never done them. However, I do think that weight training is a good idea.

You can't change your body type. You can't have a long, lean body just because you want one. You have to make the most of what you have. Lose more fat, and build some upper body muscle to balance out your legs. You'll be small, yet defined.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 08:52

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyGSDs
I don't really have an opinion on callanetics, because I've never done them. However, I do think that weight training is a good idea.

You can't change your body type. You can't have a long, lean body just because you want one. You have to make the most of what you have. Lose more fat, and build some upper body muscle to balance out your legs. You'll be small, yet defined.

I think you can choose how you look to a certain extent. Look at ballet dancers - amazingly strong, yet hardly any visible muscles from all the stretching and lengthening. I love callanetics and would do it if I could find a class.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 14:02

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

You don't need to find a class, you can just order the video or dvd of the workout and do it at home.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 07:38

Plan: CKD
Stats: 150/150/138 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress:

do both!
alternate between these two workouts ie. 1 day callanetics, the next day weight lifting.
would prevent your routine from getting stale and you wld be able to get the best of both worlds!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 18:00

Plan: Zero Carbs
Stats: 172/146/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Cut back on the running. If you are prone to thickness in the leg, running will highlight it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 15:59

Plan: Low Carb, playing with IF
Stats: 125/125/115 Female 60IN
BF:24%/24%/17%
Progress: 0%

You have more say so then you think when it comes to bodycomposition. What you can't change is your hight, bone structure, and so forth. You CAN train and activate different muscle fibers, which creates different looks.

There was a time when I did moderately heavy weight training 3-5 times a week + kickboxing and HIIT. Yes, it did get my bodyfat down and over all I was a size 2. The thing is, the SHAPE of my muscles was very rounded, you know what I mean? I am short too (5'0) so rounded muscles made me apear "bulkier".

Fast forward several years. This time I used slower paced long distance running (which activates diff muscle fibers then HIIT training), just the 20 mins compound weight lifting that came at the end of my Jazzercise class 3 times a week and Callanetics videos. Way diff results. I was still a sized 2, but the leg and butt area of the pants was much more lose then when I did mostly weights. Arms were toned with definition but not nearly as manly. If I kept it up, I am sure I would have eventually fit into a sized 0 jeans. I don't think that I would have been able to do it the heavy weights way, just because of the shapes that it creates in my butt and quads.

Now I am back to the same exact thing (Callan and Jazz) to get in my 2's again (starting from tight 4's)

Hope that helped if you are still around!

Irie