Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 16:36
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm reviving this thread because I have...on my long "list of things to do"...a plan to incorporate some form of Yoga into my life.

My reasoning includes all the known benefits such as meditation, stretching and strengthening. My fitness routine already includes strength training and cardio, but I see this as a perfect supplement.

Years ago I attempted Yoga and it was very uncomfortable for me, so despite being flexible, it didn't last long. Now I'm in the best shape yet - much stronger, especially in my core - and my flexibility and stability have returned considerably so I believe the challenge of Yoga will only help. I have tried some very beginner/basic poses from Leslie Sansone's "You Can Do Yoga" (which I highly recommend for absolute beginners too) and I've done each of them successfully...going well past the beginner and modified stages. These include the warrior (and exalted), the stork (still low but doing well) the triangle, cat and child and downward dog, among others I'm not remembering off hand.

I have asked DH to get some other Yoga DVDs on netflix to try and I'm perusing my gym schedule to see what classes they have. Ideally I'd love to do something every day but I'm concerned with making time for it that frequently.

So...all you Yoga lovers...please jump in and share your advice. Some of my questions include:

*DVD or class?
*Specific style?
*WHEN do you do it - is it better in the morning or the evening or is it all good?
*How often do you do it?
*How often do you THINK it should be done (e.g., is once a week useless or is just a sliding scale of benefit)

Thanks in advance for your input! At the very least just posting this has inspired me to get moving on this next step of health and fitness!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 16:43
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Class first, then DVD to follow at own pace. Of course, not putting on 36 pounds after the class helps.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 16:57
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
Class first, then DVD to follow at own pace. Of course, not putting on 36 pounds after the class helps.
ROFL Excellent

So, if your plan is to "Take over the world, Pinky"...does that make you the Brain?

Ok, back to the topic at hand (how easily I'm distracted!). Thanks for the input!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 11:23

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

If you are absolutely new to yoga, I would highly recommend actually going to a yoga studio for a few session. Make sure to take a class with an experienced instructor who is teaching a basic class. I tried to do the home videos first and then finally went to a class and the difference was amazing. Good yoga studios will have various props that can be used and will show you modifications for you and your body.

I love yoga. I can't say enough good things about how it not only changes you body, but it also helps your mind. It is just awesome.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/157.8/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv1984
Does anyone do it on a regular basis. Some people have told me that it definitely burns a lot of calories and helps you lose weight, but other tell me to stick to arobic exercises first. Im considering paying for a few classes so I dont know if i should

I do Yoga at least 3 x / wk. I use videos, specifically, "Yoga Remedies for Natural Healing" with Rodney Yee and a set of four videos with Linda Arkin ( Natural body tune up, Strength, Flexibility, and Relaxation and Rejuvination). I'm not sure that there are too many who are more outspoken about the benefits than me (I'm sure they're out there). I picked up the first video at a second hand store (looking for books) on a whim and it fixed my back! It was before I started this diet and I am more than certain that I would be unable to exercise the way that I do without the help of Yoga. My range of motion is still pretty limited but I take it slow, challenge my body but am also compassionate with it. I LOOOOVVVEEE Yoga It makes me feel AWESOME. I know that it doesn't burn as many calories as aerobic excercise but the long-term benefits outweigh it (nothing wrong with doing both... alternating days). I just can't tell you how much better I feel as I go about my day now that I have discovered Yoga and I would highly recommend it to absolutely everybody.

Happy Journey!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 12:06

Stats: 163/157.8/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieo
Me too! I thought I had found THE exercise for me. Nice and slow and not all sweaty and energetic. First I had a hard time figuring out how to get my breathing right. I'm the kind of person who can't swim because I can't even coordinate my breathing with moving my arms. Then I noticed I couldn't even do the basic sitting positions because I can't get my right leg to lay down. Pretty bad when you can't even do beginning yoga

So whaddya do to get flexible enough to do beginning yoga?

With the Lina Arkin videos, you can go at your own pace. I'm not very flexible (getting a little more so). I used to want to do Yoga but I would try to keep up with those who were on the morning television programs and there was NOOO WAYYY! It may sound a bit dramatic but Yoga has changed my life. You just have to start at the beginning. You wouldn't run a 10 mile marathon without training and conditioning your body. It's important to stay where you are comfortable... your body changes slowly and in a healthy way. Yoga is demanding but the benefits are better health, a more oxygenated body, better circulation, better digestion, feeling better with more energy, etc, etc, etc....

To get flexible enough for beginning Yoga, you modify the movements. Bend your knees instead of trying to bend straight down to touch the floor (or even your ankles if you're like me). I would recommend the videos that I mentioned. I can't do all of the ones in the "Natural Healing" video because my flexibility and balance are not at that level... I also haven't done the whole 'strength' video all the way through. If you have back problems, I would highly recommend the 'Natural Healing" one.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 12:27

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

I've done yoga on and off for quite a few years now. The yoga studio near me that I go to regularly on and off (they have a package deal where you buy several classes at a discount...I'm between packages right now ) does what is called "Power Yoga". they keep the room warm (though not as hot as in hot or bikram yoga), and it's a pretty intense and yet surprisingly relaxing work out. I always feel great when I leave. And the next day or so my muscles tell me they've been working hard, especially my arms and my abs.

I agree that you should go to a studio first. And there are several reasons for this. For one, you will not be doing the postures correctly. You can watch the person on the video all you want, but you can't see yourself. You need an instructor to help you learn the positions. And also, when you start out (as others have pointed out) you will not be as flexible as the person on the video is. A yoga instructor can help you modify the poses until you can do them correctly.

My yoga studio has an introductory thing where you buy 3 lessons for $20 so you try them out and see if you like it. I'd say if you're interested in yoga, call a studio and see what they offer. There are many different kinds, and many different teachers. You might have to look around and figure out what you like in your area.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 20:28

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

I had a bit of a yoga triumph today and thought I'd share it with any other yoga enthusiasts out there.

We sometimes do a twisting pose from Utkatasana, for example, where, with hands in prayer position, we bring our left elbow to the outside of our right knee and look over our right shoulder...

Well today was the first time since starting up yoga again that I could get my elbow to the outside of my knee, normally, it would rest on my knee!!!

AND I got my foot up on my thigh for tree pose instead of down by my ankle.

If anyone is wondering what Utkatasana is, I've found a helper to demonstrate:
http://www.bushyoga.com/pose,pose-utkatasana.htm
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-07, 09:48

Stats: 160/157/127 Female 5 inches 4 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by articshark
If you are absolutely new to yoga, I would highly recommend actually going to a yoga studio for a few session. Make sure to take a class with an experienced instructor who is teaching a basic class. I tried to do the home videos first and then finally went to a class and the difference was amazing. Good yoga studios will have various props that can be used and will show you modifications for you and your body.

I love yoga. I can't say enough good things about how it not only changes you body, but it also helps your mind. It is just awesome.

Yoga is definately a great exercise... I do it all the time... I definitely agree with what she has to say tho because you want to learn it before you tart doing it on your own because you don't want to be doing it wrong... check out http://www.findyourdetour.com/ for some great tips..
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-07, 11:21
Carolina Girl

Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

I am the newest fan of Yoga. I can't do "traditional" exercise because of medical reasons because I can't do anything that really gets my heart rate up or is too strenuous. So, I wanted something that would still get me tone and give me strength and flexibility. Now, I come from an athletic background but I was always about running, weight training, hitting the gym, etc. So, Yoga was so far out of my realm. However, I absolutely enjoyed it when I did it!

One of my best friends is a Yoga and Pilates instructor so I started with her and then I got some DVDs based on her recommendations. She is a big fan of Rodney Yee. Anyway, I have found it to be a great workout and even though I can't do all the poses yet and I have to do modified poses for some of them (thanks to my friend I know how to do those), I am progressing along nicely. I also am finding myself to be SO much more relaxed now too!

By the way, I never thought I would have said this before. Oh, and I have never had such a good workout for my core before as yoga has given me. No amount of crunches in the world can equal it.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: modified LC
Stats: 190/172/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I've been doing yoga for 4 years now. I love the way I feel afterwards.

Pilates is also good to do.