Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 11:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 411/347/170 Female 5.9
BF:
Progress: 27%
Talking Creamy Pesto and Taragon Chicken

I just thought I'd share this recipe, because I chucked it together tonight on a whim and I absolutely loved it.

OK, so here it is (serves 2):

2 Free range chicken breasts
Juice of 1 lemon
Half a tablespoon of dried Tarragon
1 Tablespoon of Basil Pesto
3 Anchovy fillets
1 White onion
half a glass of white wine
Heavy/Double cream
4 or 5 Garlic cloves (I used 2 teaspoons of lazy garlic)
Oil (any will do, but I used left over fat from cooking bacon)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Tenderise the chicken breasts until they are evenly sized all over. Cut the onion in half and then slice. Sauté the onion in the oil and once translucent add the tarragon, anchovy and garlic. Once the onion is caramelised, add in the chicken breast fillets and sauté until the chicken is almost cooked. At this point add in the white wine and lemon juice. Allow the broth to reduce by half and then add the pesto, salt and pepper and stir until combined and then add your cream. Allow the cream to warm through and then serve. This can be eaten with whatever you like, I had no veg tonight, but I would have had this with broccoli and cauliflower, or perhaps a salad.

This is a mixture between creamy, salty and tart.

You can easily play with extra ingredients or lower the amounts I used because once put into fitday there are about 10g of carb per serving. Lowering the amount of cream and wine etc will save the carbs. I added more purely because I had carbs to use up.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 12:07
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Although I wouldn't have the anchovies in it, this sounds like a really good dish!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 12:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Although I wouldn't have the anchovies in it, this sounds like a really good dish!

Lol, that's what my partner said, but the anchovy fillets completely dissolve, there is no noticeable anchovy in the finished dish, it just adds a bit of saltiness. I promise you, if you use anchovy you won't even know it's there. My partner scranned the whole lot
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 12:49
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I do have 'fish sauce' I bought to mix in scrambled eggs on recommendation from someone on this forum. Maybe I could just use some of that. I actually loathe anchovies so much that if they are on a pizza briefly and removed, I can't eat the pizza where they were. (Well I don't eat pizza at all now but you know what I mean.) Still it sounds like a lovely dish. I love pesto!!

Nothing beats chopped up chicken (whether baked and chopped, or chopped and stirfried) with diced green onions and pesto and a little cream cheese all mixed up like a pesto chicken salad. Yumm!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 12:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Achovy's add umami to whatever they're cooked with. I bet you can't even taste them.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 12:55

BF:

lol about the pizza!!! That's like me with fresh coriander (I think you guys in the states call it cilantro??) Oh that proper gives me the dry boke!!! I can taste it from a mile a way with a peg on my nose.

~nancylc - I had to google 'umami' lol - good word though, I will have to incorporate it into ones vocabulary :-) And I would agree that they do indeed add umami to the dish - I'm not a big anchovy fan when they are whole, but when cooked through something, they are awesome!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 14:24
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Oh that proper gives me the dry boke

LOL! I don't know what that means but it cracks me up! I take it you don't like coriander/cilantro?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
LOL! I don't know what that means but it cracks me up! I take it you don't like coriander/cilantro?

Ha ha ha That's the scottish in me seeping out!! The dry boke is basically the worst form of sickness i.e. once every possible item in your stomach has escaped from you via your mouth, but you continue to wretch and heave until your stomach cramps lol - what do you call that in the states, it's the dry boke over here
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 17:33
Experimenter

BF:

Dry heaves are how we say it! LOL! That's so funny.

Now I absolutely adore cilantro. It works like catnip on me. I swear I'd roll in it if I had a big enough patch.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 21:18

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Dry heaves are how we say it! LOL! That's so funny.

Now I absolutely adore cilantro. It works like catnip on me. I swear I'd roll in it if I had a big enough patch.

Nancy, that would be me with fresh basil! Who needs perfume? I could just rub myself with basil leaves!

I'm still chortling over PJ's aversion to anchovies to the point she couldn't eat a pizza that they'd once been on, but still able to tolerate fish sauce. Perhaps it's a brand difference, but my fish sauce lists anchovy as the first ingredient!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 02:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
Nancy, that would be me with fresh basil! Who needs perfume? I could just rub myself with basil leaves!

I'm still chortling over PJ's aversion to anchovies to the point she couldn't eat a pizza that they'd once been on, but still able to tolerate fish sauce. Perhaps it's a brand difference, but my fish sauce lists anchovy as the first ingredient!

Isn't it weird that what one person hates another person loves! I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE basil, it's one of my favourite herbs after sage and bay, but cilantro - eugh and I mean I'm by no means a fussy eater, even stuff I'm not fond of i.e. mushrooms, if there is one on the plate it doesn't bother me to eat it, but cilantro...........well just the tiniest amount totally ruins a meal for me and if it's not big enough to pick off then I can't eat it at all.