Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 15:02

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

...do you think if I went to a Walk In clinic, do you think they would help me out with this issue? Because I am depressed and very insecure, do you think they would? I don't know. I don't even know where I would tell them.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/115/105 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%

..i stumbled on this post...and have the same feelings that you guys are discussing..i am afraid to go outisde for fear of being judged, i stay in my room and listen to see if anyone is outside in the hall before i go out....i didnt even want to go to class after my full blown binge session because i was afraid people would look at me differently..never really knew there was a name for it..but i am kind of relieved to know im not the only one
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 14:49
See, I smile :)

Plan: A Version of My Own ;)
Stats: 208/141.5/135 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:43%/26%/???
Progress: 91%

Ely, I know how you feel, I don't like people looking at me. It makes me very uncomfortable. But I just remind myself that most likey, people are off in their own little worlds, thinking, "Why is that person looking at me?"

The greatest joy is acceptance, the greatest fear, rejection. It is universal. It is something we all share.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 15:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 190/156/135 Female 5feet 2 inches
BF:J-E/L-L/O
Progress: 62%

Hi guys-
I have some pretty serious anxiety probs too. One of my biggest is driving. I found that when I avoided it entirely for about 6 months, I was in a total panic when I had no choice but to drive about 1 mile to the grocery store. Intense sweating, shakes, even distorted vision! I just cried. And decided I wouldn't be a prisoner anymore. Now that I make myself drive to work everyday, the stress is a bit less. When I have to go somewhere I haven't driven before, it's the same old panic. But each time I make myself do it, I come back alive.
I feel the more you give in to the fear, the more powerful it becomes(sigh).
Good luck everyone!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 15:23

BF:

lisa thank you for the words of wisdom, i really appreciate hearing an unbiased voice. That last sentance is so true when actually thinking about it..99% of people are worried that they wont be accepted..it doesnt matter how popular you are by society's standards...you always wonder to yourself, do i fit in. I guess I have always felt self conscious for many many years for several reasons..and i thought by losing weight i would feel different..well in a way i did, but there are still specific insecurites that remain the same.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 15:30

BF:

Liese, You are definately right..giving into the fear only makes it stronger...even when i binge..the same thing applies..by giving in to my temptations,cravings or the emotional aspects linked to my binges it only makes me feel more afraid of what the food is doing to me...and how i am destructing myself by eating so out of control. I am so vulnerable at those times..by giving in i am even more vulnerable..
CONGRATS by facing your fears..that is something to be really proud of and to think of each time you are down on yourself. For your fear of driving i wonder if there is any specific treatment for that..although it seems that you are doing just as well. In one of my psychology classes when the subject of disorders came up, one way to really help remove them was by the process of flooding, or being put in that situation and facing it until not scared..so you are well on your way to being "set free"