Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 07:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/121/110 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default new here, trying to quit..

hey everyone, im not new to the forum, just this section because the beginning of this week, i decided i really wanted to quit, the main reason is both the money id be saving and my health, im only almost 19 in a couple months but ive been smoking close to 5 years.

i used to smoke a 1/2 pack a day but for the past few months, ive been smoking 15-a pack a day. I decided that im not going to have anymore cigs starting this coming saturday, but i decided to give it a trial run on monday..lol..so on monday, i went from 15+ cigs to 5, then yesterday i had 4 and it was easier then monday, today, im going to try to have 3..it seems easier for me to work myself down, plus, i just got my order of 3 cartons by mail last friday im getting rid of them tho..anyway, i have a couple questions..

i know alot of people say you gain weight when you quit, and i was reading some posts on here about it last night, this may be a stupid question, but the ONLY reason you gain weight when you quit is because most people turn to food, right? i mean, if i stayed on my lc plan just as ive been and continue to exercise every single day and not turn to food,then i cant gain weight just from quitting smoking, right?..people just make it sound to me as if EVERY body gains weight when they quit smoking, and they make it sound like its JUST from quitting, im sure not every body turns to food when they get cravings, i know its going to be hard but i dont think i would turn to food..not high carb food anyway or anything bad..

i also heard that it only takes 3 days for niccotine to be out of your system, after that, its all mental, is that true?..so for those of you who have quit, was it alot easier after the first few days?

sorry for making this so long, i just have alot of questions and i really want to quit for good, i need some motivation too, does anyone have anything they think of that makes them decide not to have a cig?..or anything to get your mind off of it besides food, straws, and toothpicks?..lol..thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephb
1 i have a couple questions..

i know alot of people say you gain weight when you quit, and i was reading some posts on here about it last night, this may be a stupid question, but the ONLY reason you gain weight when you quit is because most people turn to food, right? i mean, if i stayed on my lc plan just as ive been and continue to exercise every single day and not turn to food,then i cant gain weight just from quitting smoking, right?..

i also heard that it only takes 3 days for niccotine to be out of your system, after that, its all mental, is that true?..so for those of you who have quit, was it alot easier after the first few days?

sorry for making this so long, i just have alot of questions and i really want to quit for good, i need some motivation too, does anyone have anything they think of that makes them decide not to have a cig?..or anything to get your mind off of it besides food, straws, and toothpicks?..lol..thanks for any help!

You are making the best discission of you life!!!!!

You gain weight cause you eat instead of finding something else to do when the cravings occur. Nicotine is a drug and you will go through withdrawals when you stop. Knowing that will happen and having a plan of action to deal with it - like walking, eating celery, chewing on a toothpick - that was me very low carb - zero

I am giving you this website - its free and it worked for me a 20 + year smoker and my wife a 15 year smoker - we both read it - stopped without patches or aides and are still smoke free for 4 months now - http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/

Take the time and read through the whole thing it will explain the cravings, the body cycles and at the end it has a 28 day email thing you can sign up for that is full of encouragement.

We will also check on you so when you do quit - come back tell us and we are here for support - feel free to jump in to our journals to and keep us knowing how your doing - good luck you can do this and you will be super happy with the results...

Tim
I have been quit for 4 Months, 19 hours, 25 minutes and 16 seconds (122 days). I have saved $650.87 by not smoking 2,456 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 1 Day, 12 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/24/2005 4:40 PM
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 10:06

Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5 ft 9
BF:41%/33%
Progress: 0%

Tim, I just wanted to hello and thank you for putting this site out there. I have smoked for 30 years and I truly want and need to quit. My husband doesnt and never has smoked so I will have a wonderful support system with him. I also have a 7 year old grandaughter who lives with us who has asked me a dozen times over the last year, to quit.
I read day one of the program and I am going to give this my all.
Connie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 04:35

Plan: none
Stats: 102/106/102 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone, After smoking for 30 yrs I have finally decided Im ready to quit. I dont want to have anymore "excuses" why I still smoke.I have many reasons why I shouldnt, so I think its time, which is a miracle in itself, Ive always been the one to say, Ill be a smoker til the day I die. I went to the Dr and he said the holidays were a rough time for me to try to quit ( I stress easy lol) so he gave me some patches and said to start right after the holiday. So right now Im cutting back, I was smoking a carton a week, im now at 12 a day(sounds like a lot still but Im thinking its a start) Im really nervous about the cut off day, Jan 1st cold turkey. Ive loaded up on jolly ranchers and lollypops, Ive read that it may help.I to have great support at home, my hubs and grown kids all dont smoke.Im just hoping they still like me while Im trying to quit lol I look forward to reading the posts here to see what helped others, have a great day everyone and Im sure you'll be hearing from me alot
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 09:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Dianna-Good for you! I smoked for 25+ years and quit 2 years and 1 day ago for the last time. I had tried everything. The only thing that worked for me was the "Seven day smoke away program" and the will the never smoke again. I want to see my kids grow up and I never want them to smoke so I finally quit.

I had tried everything before this and this worked like a charm. I wish you luck and I will support you during this rough time. Feel free to stop in my journal if I do not check in these threads.

Best of luck. You can do this.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 09:32
Registered Member

Stats: 350/175/175 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I too am a smoker and I keep telling myself I am going to quit, I am finding it harder to quit smoking then staying low carb. I keep using the excuse I will stop smoking when I reach my foal weight. I am going to the website Tim gave above. It's time to stop the excuses and stop smoking. Today is my first smoke free day. Thank you all, this site is great.