Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1066   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 11:32

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Doing the slightest bit of reading, Sally Fallon (Weston A Price Foundation) says not to eat rice bran oil as it's a carcinogen. Apparently, it's extracted using high heat and hexane which means it's off my menu, which is too bad because it does make a fabulous mayo.
Sponsored Links
  #1067   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 13:24

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

Surely they make a cold pressed version.
  #1068   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 13:42

BF:

Not all oils can be extracted that way. I avoid oils extracted with hexane anyway.
  #1069   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 13:51

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsey

Surely they make a cold pressed version.

Botanical Name: Oryza sativa

INCI Name: Oryza sativa (rice) bran oil

Extraction Method: Cold Pressed

Description: Rice bran oil, extracted from the bran or outer coat of the brown rice grain removed during the milling process is rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins and essential oils. Rice bran oil also has constituents believed to hinder UV rays absorption at the skin’s surface.

Color: Orange to Golden Brown

Info Here

Bo
  #1070   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 14:32

BF:

Hexane is STILL an issue.
  #1071   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 14:40

BF:

Hexane is posion - I agree. But if you get a cold pressed version, there should be no chemicals or heat related changes in the oil. It still might not agree with you, but that shouldn't be due to hexane.

Last edited by tomsey : Sun, Aug-09-09 at 14:48.
  #1072   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 14:48

BF:

This is what she says:

We do not recommend rice bran oil. It is high in polyunsaturates. It must be extracted at high temperatures so any unsaturated fatty acids would be ruined right off the bat. Plus they use hexane, a very carcinogenic solvent, in the extraction process. For cooking use extra virgin olive oil or animal fats such as butter, ghee, lard, tallow, duck fat or goose fat. All of these are stable and good for cooking, low in polyunsatures (which is desirable), contain vitamin E and anti-oxidants. Plus the animal fats are sources of valuable fat-soluble activators–vitamins A, D and K.
  #1073   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 14:56

BF:

Maybe it is for the most part heat/solvent extracted (rice oil seems to be able to tolerate high heat), but I agree with you, one should strive to avoid hexane and go for cold pressed.
  #1074   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 06:39
Registered Member

Plan: Why Diet & Exercise Fail
Stats: 230/180/180 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

If you are worried about the extraction process, eat wheat germ and not wheat germ oil, just make sure it is not defatted. It also contains many amino acids that we are becoming deficient in, and the body uses vitamins, minerals, and amino acids in combination, and it ways we don't fully understand. Interestingly, three amino acids in wheat germ, vitamin E, and selenium are used by the body to create the main anti-oxidant in our blood, which is also an anti-inflammatory.
  #1075   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 15:52

Plan: L. Carb, L. fat, Hi. prot
Stats: 209/160.8/154 Female 65.5 inches
BF:38%/33.9%/?%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I don't know of any population that retained their protection from the diseases of civilization once they switched to a modern diet.

Radical diets, you mean no protein whatsoever, that kind of radical? Or do you mean there's still some protein, some fat and some carbohydrate but from wildly different sources? Amino acids, whether they come from plants or animals, are indistinguishable from each other, i.e. glutamine is glutamine is glutamine. The same goes for fat and carbohydrate, or any other nutrient for that matter.

It makes no sense to compare populations to individuals. With populations, we compare a continuum. In individuals, we compare a precise and unique set of conditions. For example, the mother could have been fed a high carb diet which would have affected the fetus' development. Or the child could have been fed a high carb diet which would have affected his development.

It's absurd that our genes would be programmed to make us sick, fat, weak, and stupid. Not even just a little bit. Genes don't work this way. It's "either/or" for genes. But it's quite reasonable to assume that since carbohydrate is what causes us to grow sick, fat, weak and stupid, that just even a little bit of carbohydrate could make us a little sick, a little fat, a little weak, and a little stupid.

Our genes are not programmed, they evolved. Evolution has killed off those species and races whose genes were not appropriate for their environments. Could this not be what is happening now? Those of us who can deal with the modern lifestyle survive and those who can't, die. The only thing is that most of the ones who can't deal with the modern diet, die after they have produced children thus eliminating the opportunity for natural selection. It may be that their children are affected so badly that they die even younger than the current generation - and that is a good possibility looking at some of the overweight kids around today.
  #1076   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 17:51

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Here is the rice bran oil that I am currently taking.

http://www.gammaforce.ca/EN/products.php

Quote:
Gamma Force rice bran oil : the most concentrated gamma oryzanol product available in America.

Patrick
  #1077   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 18:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
Doing the slightest bit of reading, Sally Fallon (Weston A Price Foundation) says not to eat rice bran oil as it's a carcinogen. Apparently, it's extracted using high heat and hexane which means it's off my menu, which is too bad because it does make a fabulous mayo.

Quote:
• Cut out ALL colours, flavours and preservatives and artificial sweeteners
and try to avoid processed foods
• Include Omega 3 oils, esp Cod Liver Oil
• BONE BROTH
• Cultured foods – (Yoghurt, YCK, CVs,) Probiotics
• Avoid microwaves
• Drink plenty of FILTERED* water (remove Chlorine & Fluoride) or good
quality spring water
• Avoid margarine and use butter and other good animal fats
• Use good quality cold pressed oils like Olive, Macadamia, Pumpkin Seed,
Coconut, Rice Bran Oil & Avoid Canola & other highly processed vegetable
oils
• Cut down or cut out Sugar, Deep fried foods, Hydrogenated fats, trans fats
• Include some protein at breakfast
• Reduce the amount of starchy carbohydrates and adopt a more caveman
(paleo) diet: meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts & seeds

http://mindd.org/s/uploads/pdf/Mind...rightonDiet.pdf

So I think Rice Bran Oil is ok if properly extracted.

Patrick
  #1078   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/203/160 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkorn
In response to "No, grains are not all that healthy."

In 1900, Americans got the vast majority of their calories from grains. Today we get far fewer calories from grains, yet obesity levels have skyrocketed. So it can't be that we are eating too many grains. It just doesn't make any sense. Certainly the fact that the refining process removes substances from grains that are associated with lower body weight could be a problem. It can not be the grains themselves.

Even bread labeled "whole wheat bread" is not necessarily healthy. Unless bread say 100% whole wheat, it almost certainly had the wheat oil removed. Just like white rice has the white rice oil removed. Food processors want grains to have long shelf life, and these oils go bad quickly, yet they contain the vast majority of the nutrients in the wheat. Nutrients we haven't even identified as such. Supplementing people with rice bran oil has been shown to dramatically lower insulin resistance, but researchers don't know what component of the oil this is. This is the benefit of real whole grains. Whole wheat bread is not a whole grain, 100% whole wheat or stone ground wheat is a whole grain. As is whole rice or brown rice.

I have to agree with this, I think whole grains are very good and work for me even when I am doing low-carb. I buy VERY fresh bread from Whole Foods, and I am limiting myself to small servings, but I don't buy the whole "all grains are bad" argument.
  #1079   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 09:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLupin
I have to agree with this, I think whole grains are very good and work for me even when I am doing low-carb. I buy VERY fresh bread from Whole Foods, and I am limiting myself to small servings, but I don't buy the whole "all grains are bad" argument.

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...ole-grains.html
Quote:
The only way to get a "wholesome healthy whole grain" is to put the words "wholesome" and "healthy" in front of the words "whole grain". The rest is just a fantasy made necessary by our culture's long history of dependence on cereal grains, juiced by politically correct forces that were created in the 1970's by George McGovern's meddling, the demonization of fat and meat as decadent, and the confluence of these forces with Aquarian Rousseauist fantasies of a lost utopia where no animals need to die.
Patrick
  #1080   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 09:47

BF:

I have found as long as I don't eat grains, I can eat moderate carbs. Grains really aren't healthy. Especially flour. All the nutrients that are in grains (which aren't much) are stripped out, and then vitamins added back in. It's a tasty supplement. Good luck to you on eating your bread. For me, when I do, I end up, sooner or later, on a massive carb binge, even when I eat "low carb" grain stuff. But since I've been without flour in so long, last time I tried it, I got so violently ill that I have no desire to add those "healthy" grains back in anyway.