Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:01

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking Hello....Dandi???

She may be gone, by now, but...I have found that when I eat more than about 30% meat and protein, I don't lose weight and begin to feel funny after about three days. I need my veggies and fruit...especially my veggies. I actually crave them, at times...imagine! Craving veggies! Go figure!

Since I went to the "sort-of-30%-rule-almost," I ahave found that the weight is peeling off, again and I feel fantastic! I was eating too much protein (for my body, anyway) and since changing, I am doing much better.
Doesn' tahini have soy products in it? If so, that may be ther reason for your hypoglycemic reaction, Dandi. I love almond butter, too. I make it myself. I put it on brocolli and celery...yumm.

Heather. I have one of those light bulbs in my office and I've had it for about five years, now. It makes a huge difference, especially in the winter. I am pretty allergic to flourecent light and get nauseated by it. I often turn it off during the day, even in my classroom and just let the sunlight filter through. The kids seem to do better with that, too. I've never ever had a complaint from them, and after all, they are teenagers! Teenagers complain about everything! I recommend your use of that light around your desk. I think you will notice a big difference. No baby, yet! Looks like he's going to wait, full term. My wife is home (last night) and says our daughter is doing well for a woman so pregnant..of course my daughter wants that "thing" out of her now. I think the novelty of being pregnant has worn off. One more thing...what kind of berries have you been eating? I have found that strawberries and I don't get along too well, even though I luv the little devils. I do much better with marion berries, boysenberries, raspberries, blue berries, and an occasional grape. My own home-dryed prunes and I do well together. I do well with all types of melons, too. In fact, it seems that cataloupe actually helps me lose weight. I wonder why? Grapefruit, too.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Default Re: Hello....Dandi???

Quote:
Originally posted by captxray
Since I went to the "sort-of-30%-rule-almost," I ahave found that the weight is peeling off, again and I feel fantastic! I was eating too much protein (for my body, anyway) and since changing, I am doing much better.

It's always great when we listen to our bodies, and do what it likes

But, I think the "percentage-thing" can be misleading, by itself. While not perfect, a gram count is a better indicator. As we each have a toxicity limit to the amount of protein, the percentage can't tell us if we're close to it. Same for minimum requirements, the gram count is more accurate, and does not depend on caloric intake.

In any case, I don't think hunters and gatherers worked out any specific percentages, as they were lucky not to have any government appointed medical bodies to dictate such requirements.

Wa'il
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 09:18

Talking Amen to that!

The main reason Atkins didn't work for me was the counting of everything. Weight Watchers did me in on that one a long time ago when I lost 117 pounds. I "stayed clean" for three years, even became a WW counselor and did about three meetings a week. Then, I just lost interest in counting stuff. That's why I like the hunters and gatherers life style. I don't have to count. Although, lately I have been pretending that I am really out hunting and gathering and have noticed that protein is a little harder to come by than the plant material. Therefore, I have been following that "sort-of" rule. It seems to be working. The main thing that is important, as I see it, is that I'm paying attention to my body and doing what it likes and needs. Haven't eaten any gophers, lately.
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 09:45

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Heightened Sense of Well Being

Hi! I don't know what it is exactly, but since Monday, I really have had a heightened sense of well being. I've switched around a few things, so it may be hard to tell what it is.

The berries I was eating first was raspberries, then I switched last week to strawberries. I think I'm allergic to those rascals. I'm off berries for the time being.

Other things that are different are the light bulb, but I am feeling better right after I eat my breakfast. I started eating eggs again, after only having them occasionally on the weekends for about a month. I've also started drinking iced Red Zinger in the morning, which is primarily hibiscus and rose hips and doesn't have any caffeine.

I'm not concerned with losing weight at this point, I've given up on that prospect for the time being. I think I may be eating too much protein to lose it. At lunch I have about 1/2 pound and at dinner about 1 pound, that's pre-cooked weight. Do you think that's too much? It sure sounds like a lot, but when it's on my plate it doesn't look like it's that big. I'm afraid if I eat any less than that I'll be hungry. I'm also eating a huge salad at lunch, but only sometimes a vegie with dinner. I suppose if I ate more vegies at dinner, I would eat less protein.

The reason that I'm feeling so great could be that I'm doing more things after work than I usually do or that I'm just not focused on losing weight anymore. I know that I'm still overweight, but I feel good and am eating healthily.

Glad to hear your wife is back home, Captxray. I know you missed her dearly. Hope the baby comes on time and the delivery is smooth.

Teenagers complain????? HA! Yeah, I know all about that.

Got stuff to do at work. Talk to you soon!
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 11:26

Thumbs up Hi, Heather...

I know that since I've cut back on the protein, about a half pound a day...at the most(!), I am losing weight and feel great. That's just me, though. I think each of us is different. Got to go with what feels right for your own body, just like Wa'il says. I am trying to eat veggies at each meal...maybe that is making a difference. I am also only eating lunch and dinner (as early in the evening as possible)...When I lost all of my previous weight, I only ate one meal a day. I think that may actually be good for me. If I eat that meal early in the evening, I have an entire 24 hours to process all of the stuff that just went into my system. I don't know, maybe that isn't too good, but it sure seems to work for me.