Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 17:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake

I made this cake to take to a low carb birthday party this weekend. It was great.

It's a dense moist cake that fills the bunt pan and doesn't fall when you take it out of the oven. The texture is like real pound cake.

I melted 3 Hershey's 1.1 ounce low carb chocolate bars with some cream and drizzled it over the top. We served it with low carb ice cream and whipped cream with chopped almonds.

Even the non low carbers at the party were licking their plates.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake
(As per Fitday there are 68g of carbs for the whole cake/without the frosting)

3 cups almond flour
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 cup Erythritol
1-1/2 teaspoons liquid Splenda(or 1 cup pourable Splenda-add 24 carbs)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup vanilla Davinci syrup
2/3 cup cream

Put ingredients into food processor in order listed and process for 30 seconds, scrape down sides and process for another 1-1/2 minutes.

Pour batter into a greased and floured bunt pan and bake.
(I use cake release(wal-mart in craft section) and then just brushed up the sides of the pan as well as the tube in the middle. It works great and there's no mess.)

Bake as 325° for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 12:59

Stats: 179/160/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default choc syrup

Looks like a super recipe. I was wondering if you could use half DaVinci Choc. syrup and half Vanilla?
Datahamstr
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 16:04

Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%

I think that would change the taste of the cake and that would also be removing a lot of fat. The cake would probably not be as moist.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 12:05

Plan: Moderate carbs
Stats: 175/135/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I found your cake posted on another site and made it a couple of days ago. It is so good, it's the best low carb cake I've had since I started low carb.

One of the ladies on the other site took a picture of her cake. It's about 2/3 the way down the page.

Here check it out.

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showt...threadid=276597
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 01:10
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I made this yesterday after finding this thread, and it was delicious -- passed the Picky Husband and the Non-Low-Carbing Mom tests . I glazed mine with the melted Hershey glaze mentioned in the recipe, and sure enough, it turned out beautifully (click here for a photo). BTW, that Cake Release is wonderful stuff -- I've had trouble with bundt cakes sticking in the past, but this one came out with no cracks or tears, exactly as advertised.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 08:17
Registered Member

Stats: 240/228/175 Female 5 ft. 7 in
BF:
Progress: 18%

What is Erythritol ?
Can this be left out of the recipe ?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 10:17
Registered Member

Erythritol is an artificial sweetener. It's a sugar alcohol like maltitol and lactitol, but is generally agreed to be much lower-GI and much easier on the stomach. Many people who have problems with other SAs find that they can tolerate erythritol better and that they can completely deduct all the carbs. This article is a good general overview of SAs, and this article discusses erythritol in particular a little bit more.

Erythritol by itself is about 70% as sweet as sugar, and unlike Splenda, does not dissolve completely as soon as it hits liquid. It also caramelizes and has some of the other baking properties that Splenda lacks, so it's very popular with serious LC bakers. By itself, it has a vaguely minty aftertaste, often referred to as the "cooling effect" -- it doesn't taste minty so much as it makes your mouth feel cool like peppermint does. When you combine erythritol and Splenda, the flavor is better and you can use less total sweetener than if you use either one alone -- for example, I replaced 1 1/4 c Splenda with 1/4 c erythritol + 1/2 c Splenda in my banana bread recipe, and it improved both taste and texture. I also find the combo of unsweetened chocolate + Splenda to have a slight bitter aftertaste, but adding in erythritol seems to fix the problem.

To answer your question, no, you can't just leave it out of the recipe. You could try subbing with all Splenda, but be aware that this may negatively affect the flavor and texture. It will also result in a higher carb count, because most people agree that carbs from erythritol are pretty much 100% deductible, and the substitution will add an additional 12g to the total for the recipe. You can order erythritol online from pretty much any LC product store such as Netrition.com, and some health food/LC stores carry it as well. I'm inferring from your question that you're relatively new to LC baking, and that you will probably have to hunt down some of the other ingredients as well, such as liquid Splenda and vital wheat gluten, so ordering it online might be the best choice.

Alternatively, you could try subbing in another SA-based artificial sweetener such as DiabetiSweet, which my Wal-Mart carries (in the pharmacy section with the glucose test strips and diabetic stuff). The amount used in the recipe probably won't cause you significant distress or net-carb problems unless you are very sensitive. There is a discussion of DiabetiSweet in that second article I referenced above -- just scroll down the page a bit.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 10:26
Registered Member

Also, just as an FYI, here are my Fitday counts for it. I entered the cake as written above, using 16 servings for the cake, and calculated the glaze separately for 16 servings as well. I made the glaze from 3 Hershey bars and 2 tbsp cream, but the counts below do not deduct the SAs from the Hershey bars -- if you don't include any SAs in your net carb count, the glaze is only about 0.5g carbs per serving

Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake
Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 315
Total Fat 27g
Saturated Fat 1.5g
Total Carbohydrate 9g
Dietary Fiber 3.75g
Net Carbs 5.25g
Protein 12.75g

Hershey Bar Glaze
Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 30.81
Total Fat 2.75g 4%
Saturated Fat 1.75g 9%
Total Carbohydrate 3.44g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1.31g 5%
Net Carbs 1.13g
Protein 0.25g 1%
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 10:26

BF:

This is where I get my E, it comes out much cheaper in the long run.
http://www.alacarb.com/product-deta...KU=577270000ECS
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 18:06
Registered Member

Stats: 240/228/175 Female 5 ft. 7 in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thank you all so much for the info !!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 20:02

BF:

Atlee, your cake is beautiful.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 17:41
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

WoW!!!!!! This looks AWESOME!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 18:14
Registered Member

Thanks, Lotsofhats! That was actually a "test run" -- I'm having a dinner party on Thursday, and I KNOW better than to serve a LC dessert without making up a test batch. This one made the cut, though, so I'm making another one tomorrow, which should be even prettier as I'm going to drizzle with a little melted white chocolate after the milk-chocolate glaze sets. And I promise it tastes just as good as it looks .

Has anyone ever frozen this cake, and how does it thaw? The only problem I have with desserts is that there are just two of us to eat it, and I try not to eat SF desserts more than once a week or so. I gave most of the first cake away, but it would be nice to put it in the freezer and pull out a piece on Saturday nights. If anyone else has experience with freezing it, I'd like to hear it!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 00:52

BF:

I know what you mean, I have some in the freezer right now but I haven't thawed it yet to see how it reacts to being frozen.

I'll thaw a piece out tomorrow/actually today (it's 1:50 AM) and see how it tastes, I'll let you know.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 13:54

BF:

Atlee-

I just ate my thawed out piece of chocolate pound cake and it was very good.

I had sliced the cake into serving pieces and put each piece in it's own zip-lock sandwich bag, squeezed out the air and zipped it up. I then dropped the bags into a gallon zip-lock freezer bag.

I took a slice out of the freezer this morning and left it sitting, still sealed, on the counter at room temperature until it was thawed.

It was just as good as it was before it was frozen.