Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 18:43
Registered Member

Plan: LC (<25% of Cals.) & IF
Stats: 248/231/115 Female 5'5.5"
BF:52%/51%/15%
Progress: 13%

Thanks Judy. I will take it to heart. I end up having my "treats" about twice a month... But at this point they're still really bad treats. I don't even wanna talk about those. LOL

In the meantime, I did pick up the 12-grain loaf and the oat loaf. I also got a ridiculously dense Rye loaf made with coarse Rye meal and it cuts my carbs down from about 50g per sandwich to 30g per sandwich, and has NO SUGAR at all. I tried it tonight and loved it, so I can live with that.

ETA: I eat 2 slices of bread per week IF THAT so please don't think I am downing bread all day... My freezer is now full of little 2-slice bread packets.

Last edited by JSchoon : Thu, Sep-22-11 at 18:51.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 19:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

So, I used google to look up stone ground wheat and found a few things. Had you tried that?

Sounds like it just keeps the wheat whole and doesn't separate it like other types of milling do. You may get a little rock dust mixed into the bread too. Minerals! I doubt it is much of an advantage, if any.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 20:08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
So, I used google to look up stone ground wheat and found a few things. Had you tried that?

Sounds like it just keeps the wheat whole and doesn't separate it like other types of milling do. You may get a little rock dust mixed into the bread too. Minerals! I doubt it is much of an advantage, if any.

LOL ~ Minerals.

I ran a search but everything I came up with discussed stoneground as a "safe" alternative to ordinary grocery store whole wheat because it is "guaranteed" to be less processed, whereas often grocery store whole wheat is just as processed as white bread. Nothing I found compared stoneground whole wheat specifically to market/artisan whole grain whole wheat including the germ. About the only semi-indication that it would be better at all is because the particle size was a little larger if stoneground... Probably negated by the various lower GI seeds and other goodies in the non-stoneground loaf anyway. Likely not worth trading in the nuts and seeds for slightly larger wheat particle size.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-11, 18:58

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oops hit the wrong button.

Last edited by Whofan : Fri, Sep-23-11 at 19:20.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-11, 19:19

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Since you seem determined to have bread

As a former bread junkie who quit cold turkey and has nearly 5 months of bread-sobriety, I was drawn to this thread as though hypnotised. I began reading with some trepidation, but that cracked me up WereBear. Thanks for the laugh. To paraphrase you: Death to bread!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 05:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
As a former bread junkie who quit cold turkey and has nearly 5 months of bread-sobriety, I was drawn to this thread as though hypnotised. I began reading with some trepidation, but that cracked me up WereBear. Thanks for the laugh. To paraphrase you: Death to bread!

When I had stress eating, I would eat most of a column of saltines. There was no food reward with this; I didn't know it was putting drugs in my brain, too.

Now that I can see and feel the difference between "some grains" and "no grains at all" what I give up is a fraction of what I get.

Of all the things I don't eat anymore, bread is the one people freak out over.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 06:08

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchoon
Now IF I can make it to the market early enough, should I consider her 12-grain loaf? No seeds at all, but it has some spelt, barley, oat, etc. It is probably the least percentage wheat she has. Though she does have a loaf that is mostly OAT, but it also contains a little honey.

The honey is eaten by the yeast to make the bread rise unless of course extra is added to make the bread sweeter. Trader Joe's has a Sprouted Whole Wheat and Rye Breads that are good and I do quite well with. Sounds like you have things under control portion wise and are doing well.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 08:05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
When I had stress eating, I would eat most of a column of saltines. There was no food reward with this; I didn't know it was putting drugs in my brain, too.

Now that I can see and feel the difference between "some grains" and "no grains at all" what I give up is a fraction of what I get.

Of all the things I don't eat anymore, bread is the one people freak out over.

I'm not freaked out or anything. I feel well, look well, lose well, AND with some tweaking (wholest grains possible for breads and pastas) I can enjoy them in limited quantity. I have modified how I prepare food a little, and rather than pasta with a few pieces of meat thrown in, pasta is a side dish. For example, while before I may have done a traditional spaghetti and meatballs, now, spaghetti (whole wheat, of course) is likely to be just a scoop alongside a half of a roasted chicken or something.

So too it is with bread. Whereas before I might have had two sandwiches (which isn't that much when you're IFing) now I have one sandwich (often open face, with a single slice of bread), loaded with meat and fat, and a side of hard boiled egg or something that makes the bread a small percentage of the meal.

A little bread or pasta doesn't make me crave more. At this point it doesn't stall my weight loss. I am motivated to continue on my plan because when I do eat, I get to eat what I want. Sometimes that includes bread or pasta - not because I am freaked out about giving it up, or because I crave it, but because I like to have a little of it, and I seem to be able to handle the small amount I eat quite well. It's really that simple.

WereBear, I do appreciate your perspective, and I am thankful for your opinion and contribution to this thread. I still make a conscious decision to eat a little bread and pasta, but that isn't because I don't understand or agree with the points made against it.

Last edited by JSchoon : Sat, Sep-24-11 at 08:15.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 08:08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
The honey is eaten by the yeast to make the bread rise unless of course extra is added to make the bread sweeter. Trader Joe's has a Sprouted Whole Wheat and Rye Breads that are good and I do quite well with. Sounds like you have things under control portion wise and are doing well.

Thanks for that tidbit of info! I didn't know that... I don't think there is a tremendous amount of honey in it, and with the portion I eat I am sure it isn't a big deal.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 11:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

If it doesn't make you crave MORE that's an encouraging sign. I maintained for five years that exact way you are doing now.