Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 22:41

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

IRISH NACHOS RECIPE

Multiply as desired!

1 Potato
1 large tomato chopped into small pieces and drained.
3 or 4 slices of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled.
1 cup, more if desired, of shredded cheese. (I use Monetery Jack and cheddar)

You can do this one of two ways. You can either deep fry the potato slices or pan fry them. If you like them more like potato chips, then you should deep fry them. That is how they were served to me in a restaurant, but I am not a big fan of deep frying so I pan fry them so they are more like very thin, crispy home fries.

Peel and thinly slice 1 potato and deep fry slices, making your own potato chips! (Since I don't do that, you will need to Google the time, temperature, etc.)

Alternatively, you can boil 1 potato. (My method) Potato should still be a little firm to hold its shape.
While potato is cooking, pan fry 3 or 4 strips of bacon until well done and crisp.
Allow potato to cool, then peel and slice thinly.
If feeling decadent, keep some of the bacon fat and combine with some coconut oil, and if not feeling decadent, drain pan and add some coconut oil. Either way, pan fry potato slices until very crisp on both sides.
Turn on broiler.
Spread potato slices on bottom of baking sheet or pie plate.
Spread chopped up tomato over potatoes.
Salt tomatoes and potatoes as desired.
Spread crispy bacon pieces over potatoes and tomatoes.
Top generously with grated cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese.
Place under broiler and remove when cheese is melted and gooey and starting to brown.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 12:01

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
I think Peat has said that food sensitivities are often due to an under functioning thyroid, so maybe that means yours is healing! Yay!

Maybe, but I have never thought of the nightshades as a food sensitivity in the same way my histamine related allergies are........so I don't know if what I've always thought of as more a direct reaction to a toxin can be fixed by improved thyroid function or getting to a useful dose of thyroid hormone..........for me the two reactions were always different and separate.....i've never gotten skin reactions from nightshades that I know of, just arthritis like joint pains, sometimes requiring use of canes to walk.........but now that isn't happening.

This is all so complicated, but obviously something has improved, for which I'm very happy.
sol
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 15:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
Maybe, but I have never thought of the nightshades as a food sensitivity in the same way my histamine related allergies are........so I don't know if what I've always thought of as more a direct reaction to a toxin can be fixed by improved thyroid function sol

Wait, wait..........improved thyroid should lead to improved detoxification pathways, right? I think I remember Peat saying something to that effect....

sol,
doing the "slow improvement dance"
and-a one and a-two, one step forward two steps back, two steps forward one step back, turn about, try again, 3 steps forward, one step sideways, two steps, back....repeat as necessary.....
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 16:03

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

LOL. Well, at least thanks to Peat, we are getting a few steps forward mixed in there with the backward steps. For most folks, when they get to our age, it's pretty much just backward steps!
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 13:06

BF:
Default nonfat dry milk

I wonder if what Peat uses when he (rarely) uses non fat dry milk as a recipe ingredient is one of the non-instant dry milks?
Such as this:
http://www.organicvalley.coop/produ...onfat-dry-milk/

Non-instant dry milks are supposed to be dried at low temps, preserving more nutrients and fresh taste, and I see this particular one does not have added vit A and doesn't look like it has any added vit D either........since Peat says those added vitamin mixes are problematic and can be allergens for some people, I'm wondering if this type of dry milk would be good not only in recipes, for added protein and texture, but to drink for someone like me, who can be reactive to liquid milks, even the organic ones......it gets good reviews at amazon for taste for drinking.......

Opinions?

sol
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-11, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 200/90/85 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
It is too bad that most confectionary sugar has corn starch,

You can make your own powdered sugar by tossing some sugar into the blender for a minute or so. I did it this afternoon to make the marshmellows, works great.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-11, 17:25

Stats: 126/129/128 Female 5'7.25"
BF:
Progress: 150%
Default ice cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I'm surprised he allows powdered milk, since I've heard nothing but bad things about the way it is made and processed. How does one warm a cup of sugar?

Hi Debbie,
I'm just reading the recipe pages and maybe have your answer. There are different types of powdered milk. There is a non-instant type and this may be what he uses. It was recommended years ago by Adele Davis and I used to use it a lot before I got married to DH who was sensitive to it.

Birdie VanGogh

Oop. Now, I see Solly already answered your question.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 11:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGogh
Hi Debbie,
I'm just reading the recipe pages and maybe have your answer. There are different types of powdered milk. There is a non-instant type and this may be what he uses. It was recommended years ago by Adele Davis and I used to use it a lot before I got married to DH who was sensitive to it.

Birdie VanGogh

Oop. Now, I see Solly already answered your question.

I will add a bit anyway. I've just ordered some Bob's Red Mill to try, non-instant.
My grocery store has changed their organic milk, so now the organic whole milk says "organic milk, organic skim milk, D3". It used to list only "orgainc milk, D3". Same fat content, so I don't get why it has added skim milk? It doesn't seem to taste quite the same, but not certain, as they were out completely for about two weeks during the brand change over.
I am switching to Horizon, its label still lists only "organic grade A milk, D3". The price on that brand h as dropped by $1.30 per half gallon, too. Go guess I'm back to mixing the "fresh" whole milk with the powdered non-fat for an approximation of 1 or 2%, without the A palmitate additive, which Peat says is, or can be, problematic.

As a funny aside, every time I mix up some non-fat, non-instant powdered milk my cat tries to stick his face into it, and he has to have a tiny bowl of his own. He won't touch any other milk or even half and half, but he loves this stuff.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this info, but to me, it kinda goes here as sometimes finding the right ingredients is as difficult as finding a good recipe.
sol
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 12:16

BF:
Default nightshades

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
Maybe, but I have never thought of the nightshades as a food sensitivity in the same way my histamine related allergies are........so I don't know if what I've always thought of as more a direct reaction to a toxin can be fixed by improved thyroid function or getting to a useful dose of thyroid hormone..........for me the two reactions were always different and separate.....i've never gotten skin reactions from nightshades that I know of, just arthritis like joint pains, sometimes requiring use of canes to walk.........but now that isn't happening.

This is all so complicated, but obviously something has improved, for which I'm very happy.
sol

Hi sol,
I am sensitive to nightshades (= joint pain). I wonder how long you were peat-eating before you noticed you could eat potatoes without pain. Also, have you gone back to other nightshades? And can you eat substantial amounts? Or do you just eat some once in a while...
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 19:59

BF:
Default Peat's Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBa
Ice cream recipe from Dr. Ray Peat - as read in a forum somewhere........

"I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary."

And I have heard him mentioning this "coconut oil ice cream" in one of the interviews, recommending that it should be consumed with some extra protein.

I have never tryed it myself...

Biba,
Well, I just made this ice cream. Trouble is that when I popped it into the freezer I remembered I'd forgotten to put the coconut oil in. DH had already cleaned the blender.... So, I poured the mixture into ice cube trays. I can blend it tomorrow maybe with some coconut oil, maybe not. But the mixture tastes fantastic.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 13:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGogh
Hi sol,
I am sensitive to nightshades (= joint pain). I wonder how long you were peat-eating before you noticed you could eat potatoes without pain. Also, have you gone back to other nightshades? And can you eat substantial amounts? Or do you just eat some once in a while...

Tough question. I can't remember when I started testing it out, as I had a lot of fear having to use canes to walk on knees full of ground glass causes a great deal of lasting fear, that lasts long after the worst of the pain has receded, and the canes have long been put away. But I started iwth a small amount, and I did get a little joint pain at first with potatoes, so I stopped eating it, then tried again after a while. And when a little was ok, I just gradually increased, just every few days at first would be my guess, then a ilttle maybe every other day, then every day, then a little more. Now I can eat 100 grams up to twice a day. And am experimenting with increasing that.
I am being much more cautious with tomatoes and peppers, as they were much worse to me than potato. But I've had a little here and there without noticing much if anything.

My husband gets hives and ear aches/infections from nightshades, but he has been reducing PUFA for a while now (a few months?) and though he hasn't reduced them nearly as much as I have, he is now tolerating some potato, some ketchup, too. He gets the ear thing from dairy and beef too, but has been able to eat haagen dazs ice cream and some cheese also without more than a little background buzzing in his ears...........he is quite pleased as he has had to be "off" these things for way over 15 years now. He is planning to try a little green pepper next. Oh, forgot to say, he has even had some of the grass fed beef we got and not had any increase in symptoms too.

It really is great to be able to broaden one's diet and not suffer severe pain for it........!!!
sol
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 13:42

BF:
Default nightshades

sol -
Thanks. That's a big help. I just used one cane and put it away about 10 years ago after quitting nightshades and gluten. I'll read your post from time to time and plan to ease into it after a while of peating sans potatoes...