Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 22:59

Plan: Tried Atkins..now SP maybe
Stats: 226.5/221.5/145.0
BF:48/46/25?
Progress: 6%
Question can you only buy locarb food on line? sm..

Hi,
I went to Trader Joes this weekend and was very disappointed. Either our area one does Not carry lo-carb or no one there knew what I was talking about.

I would like to buy lo-carb products, like bread, that I dont have to make. I dont like making bread and would prefer to buy ready made.

Does anyone get things like bread, spaghetti, etc at any major chains like Jewel, Meijjer or dominicks, Eagles?

thank you for any help...I am trying to get things flowing here....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 07:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hi cosmosis,

I don't have an answer for your question .. but I've redirected your post to the General Low-Carb section where other folks might be able to help.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 23:04

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default buying low carb

Hi there --

I don't know about Illinois, but here in North Jersey the Trader Joes has at least some LC products. Not nearly enough, but they do have some. They have TJs brand protein powder, which is OK. And they have Designer Whey at the best price I have seen in the area.

I buy other products there as well: salmon patties, canned herring (kippers, for breakfast); buffalo patties, chicken sausage, buffalo wings -- all high protein, low carb, and at a good price.
Finally, I buy my no-sugar peanut butter there too -- I use it to make homemade protein bars that, if they have a fault, it is that they are just too damn good!

And lest you think that this message is an advert for Trader Joes, let me suggest some other places I get LC food. There is a local "health" food store here that is about 99% in the Low Fat world, but the other 1% includes some good shakes, including both Atkins and Designer Whey, plus some bread mixes and the like. You have to look, but it is there!.

And then there the Vitamin Shoppe, a place I never looked at twice until a felow LCer steered me there. they have shakes, bars (which you probably want to keep away from, if you don't know that already) and all sorts of other LC products. And of course vitamins and supplements. The Dr. Eades, authors of Protein Power, go into quite a bit of detail on supplements and vitamins, and I get most of mine at the Vitamin Shoppe (the rest at Trader Joes, BTW).

Which brings me to my last point -- LC friends. I did not know that Jerry at the gym was an LCer until he noticed I;d lost some weight -- so I told him about the Taubes article in the NY Times and described my new diet -- then he told me he had been on essentially the same thing since the early 60s! We shared lots of information, not the least of which was the existance of the Vitamin Shoppe, which I had passed a million times and never noticed. Now, not all of his information was good -- he has been in maintenence for decades, for one thing, and had never heard of ketosis, for another. So I had to learn to take his advice with a grain of salt, but I value his friendship and the tips he has given me.

The friends we make on this forum are great, and I can attest that the advice is really great, but there is one thing lacking: most don't live in your area, work out in your gym! So keep your online LC friends, but make some local ones as well -- they can be a font of good information and friendship.

Hope this helps -- RA Vimala
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 23:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi the meijer stores in indy carried some lc stuff, muffin mix etc, not a great selection, but here where i live, we have no meijer stores, so i was very excited. Look into the small non chain health food stores, i also found one of these in indy and they had EVERYTHING. Also, I found pure delite chocolate bars at walmart......I won't get into any discussion about hidden carbs and all that. suffice it to say that a hershey with almonds has 25 carbs, a pure delite dark chocolate has 1.1, and I SWEAR it is like eating real chocolate, something we all want sometimes.
keep looking, don't give up, and more importantly, keep looking around this sight, you will be amazed at what all you will find here!