Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default 5-HTP

Zeus, you mentioned 5-HTP in your post, what is that stuff? It sounds pretty good.

Meg
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%
Default 5-HTP (5-Hydroxy Tryptophan)

Quote:
Zeus, you mentioned 5-HTP in your post, what is that stuff? It sounds pretty good.

-Here's a quick description of it: "5-Hydroxy Tryptophan (5-HTP) is a powerful serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) that may be useful in treating forms of depression characterized by serotonin deficits. In Europe 5-HTP combined with cardopa is used as a pharmaceutical agent for the treatment of depression. It has also been shown to be useful in treating some with obesity, insomnia, fibromyalgia and chronic tension headache."
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 11:28

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default 5-htp

Although it has not been "proven", 5-htp is now caring a warning that taking this could cause cardiac irregularity, similar to the results of the diet concoction phen-fen.

Now, aside from that, 5-htp and L-Tryptohpan (which is in 5-hpt, does not have the warning and produces the same results) can help with mild serotonin depression and is being studied as to it's effects on carb craving. L-tryptophan is essential for the production of some biomolecules including proteins, serotoinin and melatonin.
hth,
Brenda

p.s. - sorry to get off the subject, Dan. I'm following your carb-up with much interest!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 13:40
Registered Member

Quote:
Although it has not been "proven", 5-htp is now caring a warning that taking this could cause cardiac irregularity, similar to the results of the diet concoction phen-fen.

Now, aside from that, 5-htp and L-Tryptohpan (which is in 5-hpt, does not have the warning and produces the same results) can help with mild serotonin depression and is being studied as to it's effects on carb craving. L-tryptophan is essential for the production of some biomolecules including proteins, serotoinin and melatonin.
hth,
Brenda

p.s. - sorry to get off the subject, Dan. I'm following your carb-up with much interest!

-Hmm, this is rather disheartening information seeing how 5-HTP has been extremely helpful when it comes to curbing my appetite. If I even start to think about food- I pop one of those bad-boys and the cravings are gone within minutes. I'm going to do some research on this topic and report any new information I've come up with.

-Dan, sorry to go off-topic as well. However, reading all the foods you've listed makes me hungry for carbohydrates and that's when I pop a 5-HTP down the hatch.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 14:43
Registered Member

Post 5-HTP...

In another thread (entitled ‘Carb Up’) I discuss the idea of supplementing with 5-HTP to suppress carbohydrate cravings. For me, personally, this supplement has (notably) curbed my carbohydrate cravings. I feel that 5-HTP is a very effective supplement that should be a ‘staple’ if an individual decides to utilize a low-carbohydrate diet. ‘itsjoyful’ pointed out to me that there are possible side-effects associated with this supplement that include cardiac irregularities. For me, 5-HTP has done nothing but produce positive side-effects which include: better moods, suppressed appetite of carbohydrates in particular and, sleeping better. Note-I’ve been taking 150 mg a day in 3 divided doses throughout the day. I’m not saying there are no side-effects associated when supplementing with 5-HTP (as the links provided will show you otherwise). Then again, there are side-effects associated with many if not all drugs/supplements/etc. if they are not used properly or abused. I’ve included numerous links regarding the technical aspects of 5-HTP as well as risks involved/possible drug interactions that could be dangerous. The links also discuss the safe/effective use of 5-HTP.

5-HTP links:
http://www.5-htp.net/Safety.asp
http://www.mwilliamson.com/5-htp.htm
http://www.advance-health.com/5HTP-side-effects.html
http://www.healthandage.com/html/re...phan5HTPcs.html
http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/recent-5htp3-3.html

Last edited by Zeus : Tue, Jun-25-02 at 14:53.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 15:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default hey

I am merging the other parts of your discussion in the CARB-UP thread here, since it is a better place for it and those searching for info on 5-HTP can see it all in once place.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 15:12

Default be careful

Not stepping on toes Zeus, but regarding the following:

Quote:
I feel that 5-HTP is a very effective supplement that should be a ‘staple’ if an individual decides to utilize a low-carbohydrate diet.

Unless you carry an R.D., an M.D./D.O, or a similar certification/eduction, you should really avoid prescribing or reccomending supplements. There are legal issues involved, espeically if someone gets hurt using it ... and since 5-HTP has some possible warnings to it, it's one that should NEVER be called a staple.

Giving personal experience and testimony is all good, as is posting science/articles/links ... but don't make reccomendations unless you are given the authority to do so by some sanctioning body.

I am just looking out for you ...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 15:24
Registered Member

Quote:
Unless you carry an R.D., an M.D./D.O, or a similar certification/eduction, you should really avoid prescribing or reccomending supplements. There are legal issues involved, espeically if someone gets hurt using it ... and since 5-HTP has some possible warnings to it, it's one that should NEVER be called a staple.

Giving personal experience and testimony is all good, as is posting science/articles/links ... but don't make reccomendations unless you are given the authority to do so by some sanctioning body.

I am just looking out for you ...

-Alright, thanks Dan. I will reframe from calling it a 'staple'. Maybe I need to make a 'disclaimer' with every post I make ...heheh. For those of you who read my post regarding 5-HTP ...I'm just trying to provide information on what I believe to be a overlooked supplement. I'm not a R.D., M.D., or D.O. so... I'm basing my post/experiences with 5-HTP from personal use. Once again, thanks Dan for pointing that out.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 15:35

Default I see ...

Cool. Even though I can legally give such reccomendations, I still like to use this little phrase when someone asks me about taking a supplement:

"Taking _____ is a personal decision. For me, I got great results and I could leap tall buildings in a single bound. But every body is different. Studies also show that 3 groups who took ___ were more powerful than a locomotive, and were also faster than speeding bullets. So, it looks good. Always be sure to read the label and do as much research as you can before putting something into your body."

Something along those lines. LOL.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 15:54

Default LOL

I learned that in "C.Y.A." class ... LOL ...

A trainer in NY got sued big time for reccomending and giving ECA and Yohimbe to a client who was contraindicated for it. She died of a heart attack. He was sued, as was the major gym chain that he worked for.

FYI, the product was Thermadrene, plus he added Yohimbe to it. Not that the product is dangerous, but people with heart problems and hypertension should not be on it.

Probably why it says it on the Thermadrene label ... LOL ...

Wow. Now I'm off-topic in YOUR topic.

So we're even. Right?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 17:15
Registered Member

Quote:
So we're even. Right?

-heheheh, yeah. Now, about that carb-up ....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 09:17
Registered Member

Thumbs up 5-HTP link...

Here's another website that covers 5-HTP that I feel is worth checking out:

http://www.mqrx.com/5-htp.asp
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 18:07

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default must have got lost

for some reason i'm not getting e-mail notifications regarding this thread. must be because of the move.

Zeus~

I'm happy for you and your passion for 5-htp. L-Tryptophan is the "t" in htp, and from the information that I have gathered, 5-htp pretty much just turns into l-tryptohpan in the blood/brain....
You get the same results without the risk.
So, that's my story. Just another side of the coin I guess.
regards,
brenda
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 09:15
Registered Member

Cool 5-HTP...

Quote:
Zeus~

I'm happy for you and your passion for 5-htp. L-Tryptophan is the "t" in htp, and from the information that I have gathered, 5-htp pretty much just turns into l-tryptohpan in the blood/brain....
You get the same results without the risk.
So, that's my story. Just another side of the coin I guess.
regards,
brenda

-Well, did I mention 5-HTP helped me put on 30lbs of- huge, rippling, sinewy, muscle-mass (in 14 days)? All joking aside- I just like the supplement, it treats me well.