Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 15:30

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Eating down my freezer is how I ended up with a turkey dinner in July. And duck. Now my freezer still has ... TWO 12# turkeys, TWO full ducks, a GOOSE, various fish including lobster, ground beef, a slab of pork ribs, etc.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 15:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

package of chicken thawing.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 16:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Eating down my freezer is how I ended up with a turkey dinner in July. And duck. Now my freezer still has ... TWO 12# turkeys, TWO full ducks, a GOOSE, various fish including lobster, ground beef, a slab of pork ribs, etc.

Ooh, DUCK fat! GOOSE fat! I no longer have the ducks, but still have a small tub of fat from the Thanksgiving ducks! I wanted to cook a goose for Christmas, but was voted down. We ALWAYS have roast beef!
When we first moved (back, in my case) to the US we had visitors from Germany relatively often over the first several years, and they all wanted Thanksgiving dinner! I have done turkey and the whole lot a number of times that weren't in November. One couple even brought a carving set of good German steel as a hostess gift, saying, as I opened the box, that they would work quite well on turkey
Thanks for the reminder; my freezer has a couple of packs of frozen salmon from Trader Joe's.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 12:44

BF:

Last night I went all carnivore (DH wasn't home) and pulled a container of pork carnitas out of the freezer. I remembered later that I have an avocado in the fridge, which might have been a nice addition, but by then it was no longer needed. All that lovely pork fat; 18 hours later, and I am still not hungry.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 15:39

BF:

Pulled out frozen pineapple chunks and marinaded chicken breast. Plan to saute with mung bean sprouts.

Spagetti and meat balls for the boys.....frozen meatballs.

Just thought of taco dip. Would use frozen tomatoes and frozen avocado, and frozen hot chilis. Just add canned refried beans, canned olives and.... mozzarella .......

defrosting a turkey.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 18:47

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Yes, great ideas! I always buy my roasts, turkeys, ham, bacon and ribs on sale and throw them in the garage freezer.
Time to see what is for dinner! LOL
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 19:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Pulled out frozen pineapple chunks and marinaded chicken breast. Plan to saute with mung bean sprouts.

Spagetti and meat balls for the boys.....frozen meatballs.

Just thought of taco dip. Would use frozen tomatoes and frozen avocado, and frozen hot chilis. Just add canned refried beans, canned olives and.... mozzarella .......

defrosting a turkey.

spagetti and meatball for dinner ton ight but no one very hungry, lol
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 17:13

BF:

My contribution to both eating from the freezer and Organuary: pulled a lamb heart from the freezer last night to defrost. It is now simmering with some broth and fresh mint. I'll make a gravy with the broth later. And I plan to roast some cauliflower to go with it.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 23:33

BF:

I pulled pkg of chicken livers. Saturday breakfast.

Have frozen bananas to use, and other frozen fruits. If weekend gets very warm, boys might like fruit smoothie !!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 23:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used two batches of frozen soup this week - cream of broccoli, and Southwest taco.

I don't think I'll get too far into the freezer this week, though - whole chickens are on sale for $1.50/lb today and it's NEVER that cheap here. Also 1-lb tubes of ground chicken for $0.88. That's a really good deal, and the chicken makes awesome patties.

I also promised my coworker/chauffeur that I'd make her some cauliflower bacon soup, and cauli is on sale for $1.88/head.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 11:57

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Ooh broccoli and cauliflower are my 2 biggest cravings!!! I am going through a bag a day
What are your recipes please?
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 02:37
Forum Moderator

BF:

For cauliflower or broccoli soup? I don't exactly use a recipe, but here's what I do:
  • Chop a small onion, a rib of celery, and a carrot... or, I often already have these frozen in baggies for quicker soup. Sautee in chicken fat (my fave), butter, or other fat/oil in a sauce pan.
  • Add your chopped broccoli or cauliflower or both, frozen is fine. At the same time, add a few cups of chicken broth. I prefer homemade broth. (That's how I acquire the chicken fat, too. ) Bring to a simmer. I put the lid on part way.
  • Simmer until the veggies are soft.
  • Remove most of the broccoli/cauli with a slotted spoon into blender and puree; or into a deep bowl if you use an immersion blender like I do. I like having some carrot and other veggie chunks, but if you prefer it all smooth, you could also just pour the whole mess into the blender... or stick the immersion blender into the pot of soup. I can't do that anymore because I ruined one of my nice ceramic pots that way.
  • Stir it all back together in the sauce pan to warm it back up. Your hubby can't have dairy, right? At this point, the soup is pretty good as-is. Pureed cauliflower makes for a great dairy-free "cream" soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes, if it tastes a little bland, I'll add a boullion cube. For dairy eaters: pour in some HWC, and heat it back up.

Do you like rutabaga, Robin? The last time I made cream of whatever soup, I had a mixture of mashed cauli + rutabaga in the fridge and I threw some in. It was delicious. Rutabaga might be too high in carbs for you, but it's another good "creamifier" for your DH.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 02:46
Forum Moderator

BF:

As for my freezer... I did pretty well yesterday. There were two Johnsonville sausages left for DH and one last hot dog that was my favorite brand, and I made a LC bun in the microwave for it. I really like how smoked sausages and wieners come out if I thaw them gently in the microwave, then cook them on my clamshell grill. It's a quick dinner with minimal clean-up on a weeknight when I have a case of the Idontwannas (though being stuck indoors all weekend, I went the extra mile and made that bun.)

Later, I made a batch of pizza sauce from tomato puree from my summer tomatoes, then chaffle pizzas using frozen shredded mozzarella and frozen pepperoni slices.

For today: I pulled two packages of turkey thighs. Roast --> eat the meat and crispy skin --> pick off leftovers --> rest in the pressure cooker for broth.

and... a little container of cooked Italian sausage meat that I will use to stuff mini peppers that won't be good much longer. I have half a package of cream cheese to use up, too. I hope they turn out okay.

This sounds like a lot of work, but I enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen on a Sunday.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 16:55
Forum Moderator

BF:

I made scallop cakes yesterday. They turned out really good! I'm not a huge scallop fan, and it's probably the texture that I like the least, hence the cakes. I seared them, let them cool a bit, pulsed them in the Magic Bullet with some parmesan cheese, then added an egg and a bit of coconut flour, then fried. Really good! I didn't even share with hubby or the cat!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 10:12

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I made salmon burgers last night. They'd been in my freezer for ... a while. They were pre-made, available via Trader Joe's, so all I had to do was cook them. Unfortunately, I dropped the plate on the floor (it did not break) after eating one and Chase the lab got the other!