Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 364/320/280
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation Help! Gaining weight while in ketosis?

I am in my 4th week of induction, and noticed that this week I have gained 4 pounds in the past 5 days. What was strange is that I have been in ketosis the whole time. I haven't been doing any muscle building exercise, but have noticed that I was eating more sodium this week (hey, my wife found a good sale on bacon, okay) and not drinking enough water, so I think that it is water retension.

I think if I cut down on the amount of sodium I eat (cut out the bacon, sausage, and soy sauce), and increase the amount of water I drink, it might help.

Has this happend to anyone else? Also, what is the best way get rid of excess water? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 09:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Help! Gaining weight while in ketosis?

Quote:
Originally posted by odinisgod
what is the best way get rid of excess water? Any suggestions?

Drink more water. And then, drink some more water And cut down on the processed foods - things that are processed will actually have more salt than whole foods that are salty. There is more sodium in prepared SF pudding than in a handful of nuts.

But drinking the water will make the most difference.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 09:47

BF:
Smile Thanks, I'll try that.

Yeah, I have been drinking about half the amount of water this week that I have done in the past, so that would make sense, so I will make it a point to drown myself starting today. I'll let you know if it works!

Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:39

BF:
Smile Lots of H2O helped.

I forced down about 20 pints of water yesterday and was able to lose 2 pounds of water in 24 hours (hooray). I still feel a little sloshy, so I think I have more excess water to lose, so I will keep up the water intake today too.

I noticed that my ketone strip barley registered last night(possibly negative). Usually it is slightly darker than moderate. I think it was because all the water I was drinking dilluted the amount of ketones in my body. My question is that if I keep drinking all this water, how am I suppose to know if I am in ketosis? It makes me a little apprehensive to increase my carb intake.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Lots of H2O helped.

Quote:
Originally posted by odinisgod
My question is that if I keep drinking all this water, how am I suppose to know if I am in ketosis? It makes me a little apprehensive to increase my carb intake.

You'll know - 'metalic keto' taste in your mouth - lack of appetite - that different smell to your urin (oh the things we talk about here )

Raising carbs is not something to fret overly about - were you thinking of just 5 or 10g a day for OWL? Or are you thinking even higher for muscle growth? (you mentioned weight training in your initial post) - either one can be done with a LC plan - with results. If you are more active you a) need more carbs and b) will use those carbs.

Nat