Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 03:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Talking Incredible Chocolate Cake

Incredible Chocolate Cake
A low carb adaptation of an original recipe by Nigel Slater

Serves 12
For carb count, see below

9 oz /250g butter (2.25 sticks)
6 tbsp Splenda
4 large eggs
3 tbsp espresso coffee
9 oz /250g ground almonds (approx 1.08 cups)
2 heaped tsp baking powder
5 oz /150g coarsely ground walnuts (just over half a cup)
9 oz /250g coarsely chopped fine dark chocolate*(approx 1.08 cups)

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then line a 9”/23 cm spring form cake tin with greaseproof paper and butter lightly.

Beat together the butter and the Splenda, and then add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the coffee, and then mix in the ground almonds and baking powder. Finally, fold in the walnuts and the chocolate – keeping some back for the top of the cake. The mixture should be quite firm.

Put the mixture into the cake tin, and gently smooth the top. Scatter the remaining walnuts and chocolate over the top.

Bake in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until cake is springy – leave for ½ hour before cutting.

Using Lindt 85% Fine Dark Chocolate, the carb count for the whole cake is 54g, and 4.5g per slice.

Using Sweet ‘n Low Plain Chocolate, or similar sugar-free chocolate of around 1.5g carbs per 100g), the carb count for the whole cake is 35g, and 3g per slice.

* The final carb count will, however, obviously depend on the chocolate you use.

I've posted pics of the cake in the Recipe Gallery
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 03:54

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

omg that looks incredible indeed! i might try it tonite

thanks for the the recipe!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:21
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Do you have any ideas for those of us who cannot have coffee?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 15:55

Plan: Life without Bread/Atkins
Stats: 163/160/132 Female 155 centimetres
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Oh Nigel!

Oh Demi, I just LOVE Nigel Slater! I have his 'red book' "real fast food' and it is one of my favourite reads - as much for his warm and hilarious style of writing as for the recipes! I feel like I am reading a dear friends letters when I read his book. Although it has no pics, his vivid descriptions and familiarity with words make imagining them all so easy and enjoyable. Thank you for sharing him with all our low carb friends who may not know him. And I am looking forward to trying the recipe - am going to make it up as a slice to take to a morning tea tomorrow.

Thanks

Alicia
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 22:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Just made this, it is cooling now. I think the conversions are off though. 9oz by weight to almond flour is way more then a cup measure.

I recommend people go by the weight, I did and the batter appeared to be correct as well as the look of the finished cake.

I plan on spliting and icing this case with some cream cheese icing for a B-day party I am going to. Can't wait!

brobin
PS I added a couple of tablespoons of cocoa into the almond flour as well, I like my chocolate. I also used a mix of liquid splenda and liquid sugar twin for the sweetners.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 02:20

BF:

brobin ~ I used a weights and measures convertor on the web to get the cup amounts, as it is not the way I would normally measure my ingredients, so apologies if the conversions were wrong. I think that next time I make this, I will weigh all the ingredients in grams etc as usual, and then put them in cups (I do have a set) to see what the actual cup measure would be as well.

BTW, I like your idea of putting extra cocoa in

Lush ~ I'm so pleased to come across another Nigel Slater fan - I love him and his wonderful recipes are so easily convertable for low carbing. Have you seen my Lemon Loaf Cake recipe, which is another of Nigel's recipes that I recently converted.

You may also be interested in what I wrote about the chocolate cake in my journal:

Quote:
The original recipe for Nigel's Incredible Chocolate Cake is in his 'Appetite' recipe book - and here's what he has to say about it:

If ever there was a recipe that embodied the spirit of this book, then it is this one ... It started life as Tamasin Day-Lewis's wholewheat chocolate cake, which, incidentally she adapted from one of her cousin's. ... I decided that I wanted a chocolate and coffee cake, so swapped the milk in her recipe for strong coffee, and also used coarsely ground hazelnuts ...

The result was quite different - in terms of texture, appearance and flavour - but I felt that there was still a connection with her lovely recipe. Yet I had made something that was mine, something that fitted what I had an appetite for that day. And you can do that with almost any recipe and rarely come to grief. It is simply a question of having a little bit of confidence to put your own taste, ideas and appetite into practice.

So I did, and this is the result

BBQman ~ if you can't have the coffee, then just leave it out - you may need to add 3 tbsp of water though to get the right batter consistency or perhaps try using something like DaVinci Chocolate low carb syrup instead. Experiment!

I did find that the cake is quite crumbly, but someone suggested putting in some whey protein as this might help to stop that. I'm going to make another ICC this weekend and will substitute 50g of chocolate whey protein for 50g of the ground almonds. I'll post here on how it turns out

Last edited by Demi : Sat, May-22-04 at 02:27.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 22:49

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Ah, chocolate whey instead of cocoa... hmmmm.... I like that idea.

I did find mine was a bit over done. Maybe my oven is a bit hot but I only did it for 1 hour 10 minutes. I think is would have been better if I left it in for only an hour. The nuts on top were a bit burnt tasting and the outer crust was a bit hard.

I split it and filled it with cream cheese / ricotta / butter / cream icing (all my favourite things) and the taste was incredible. The chocolate taste was very rich (I like dark chocolate) and the nuts were a fine background flavor.

Other then figuring out the time / temp for my oven, I am very pleased with this recipe.

Two thumbs up!

brobin
(I also used weights, I learned ages ago that if you get a recipe from a Brit, use the scale, which is the proper way to bake )
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:17

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQman
Do you have any ideas for those of us who cannot have coffee?

I'd use water and some coffee extract as substitute in your case
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:19
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I'd use water and some coffee extract as substitute in your case

What in the world is coffee extract? Does it have coffee in it?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:36

Stats: 165/128/125 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

expresso coffee?? brewed or ground
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 00:53

BF:

Quote:
expresso coffee?? brewed or ground

I'm always confused about this myself when I see it in recipes, but I would say brewed, if pushed.

When I use it, I usually put a couple of teaspoons of instant espresso in a cup and then add 3 tablespoons of boiling water (or however many tbsps are needed for the recipe).

Hope that helps.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 01:41

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Incredible Chocolate Cake
3 tbsp espresso coffee

i used 2 tbsp regular coffee decaf (cuz didnt have espresso) and 1 tbsp cocoa powder instead. it tasted fine to me (and also to fellow testers my sister, bf etc, they like it). will definitely make it again.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:08

BF:

Taking into account everyone's comments here, plus my own observations, here is my revised version of the ICC, and this one has definitely got the vote of approval from my family

Incredible Chocolate Cake (revised)

Serves 12
For carb count, see below

9 oz /250g butter
6 tbsp Splenda
4 large eggs
2 tsp instant espresso coffee powder
1 tsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp boiling water
9 oz /200g ground almonds
4 oz /100g chocolate whey protein
2 heaped tsp baking powder
5 oz /150g coarsely ground walnuts
9 oz /250g coarsely chopped fine dark chocolate

Dissolve the espresso coffee powder and the cocoa powder together in the 3tbsp of boiling water, and then set to one side.

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then line a 9”/23 cm spring form cake tin with greaseproof paper and butter lightly.

Beat together the butter and the Splenda, and then add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the coffee and cocoa mixture, and then mix in the ground almonds, whey protein and baking powder. Finally, fold in the walnuts and then the chocolate – kept some of the chocolate back for the top of the cake. The mixture should be quite firm.

Put the mixture into the cake tin, and gently smooth the top. Scatter the remaining chocolate over the top.

Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until cake is cooked – leave for ½ hour before cutting.

Using Lindt 85% Fine Dark Chocolate, the carb count for the whole cake is 60g, and 5g per slice. Using Sweet ‘n Low Plain Chocolate (or equivalent like Ross's low carb chocolate), the carb count for the whole cake is 40g, and 3.5g per slice.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:50

Stats: 165/128/125 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

one more question, you mentioned we need ground almonds, does that mean that i have to put the almonds in a food processor and grind until it's the consistency of cornmeal?
and do i add anything to it to provent it from turning to butter?
oh and, should i leave the shells on or take them off?.. thanks alot
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 07:02

BF:

Shell the almonds first, then process until finely ground. The almonds will only turn to butter if you over process.

You should be able to buy them ready ground, if that's any help - if you can't find 'ground almonds', then look for 'almond flour', which is exactly the same thing.