Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 06:58
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default chocolate mousse cake recipe

I posted a pic of this in my gallery and someone asked me to post the recipe... so after some hunting (thanks Diane) I found where I'd posted it in someone else's journal, and here it is:

Chocolate mousse cake:

Makes around 12/13 quite large portions

450g diabetic bitter chocolate
1/2 stick butter
14 eggs
punnet of strawberries
lc strawberry jam
if you feel like it, some lc syrup - whichever flavour takes your fancy

you make the cake in 2 stages, but essentially doing almost the same thing for the base, which goes in the oven, and the top, which is just refrigerated. only difference is adding the butter in the first batch to keep the mixture moist since it gets baked.

separate 6 eggs into different bowls.
break up 200g of chocolate and put in a glass bowl, add to it the 1/2 stick of butter, cut up into chunks.

whisk up the egg whites until they're stiff. when they're nearly done, put the chocolate/butter in the microwave for a minute on full (or you can melt it over water in a saucepan, but microwave is quicker). Once it's melted (and be careful not to put it in for too long because then it gets ruined) mix it in with the egg yolks.
Add one spoonful of the egg white to the yolk/chocolate mixture and mix. Then add the rest of the egg white a bit at a time, folding in gently.

When it's all folded in, pour the mixture into a cake tin with a removable base, and put in the oven on low (don't ask me for temperatures!) for about 15 minutes, until it's set/cooked. The base should fill about half the cake tin.

Whilst it's cooking, make the second lot of mousse - basically exactly the same thing except using 8 eggs and 250g of chocolate, and no butter - just melt the chocolate on its own. You can also add some syrup to the mixture - I use Da Vinci's hazelnut or caramel syrup sometimes, or you could add alcohol - rum, cointreau, etc, although that would of course add a few carbs.

Once the bottom of the cake mix is baked take it out and put it in the freezer for 5/10 minutes to cool it down - then take it out, pour in the rest of the mixture, and put it in the fridge. It should set within a few hours.

Once it's set, cut up your strawberries into nice slices and arrange going in circles over the top of the cake so the top is totally covered with strawberries. Take a couple of dollops of the jam and heat it up with some water so you can juse it as a glaze and just brush it across the top of the strawberries. Eh voila! To serve, take it out of the tin so people get to see how beautiful it looks.

You could also whip up a cup of cream and add it to the mixture for the top - which would make the top a bit lighter than the bottom and so show the different sections of the cake more. I haven't tried that yet, but might do next time. You could also replace 50g choc/2 eggs with the cream to get the same bulk for less carbs.

I think last time I made it I worked out that it made about 7g net carbs per generous slice - but you'd have to check whatever chocolate you use for this and adjust the amounts accordingly.

It is really, really good - a bit of an effort, but worth it! And I've made this, and other more simple chocolate mousse desserts with diabetic chocolate for quite a few people over the last couple of months, and nobody even notices that the chocolate is different to normal.

Note, this isn't speciality lc chocolate, it's diabetic chocolate that i pick up in the supermarket. obviously it's an israeli brand, so i can't recommend one to you americans/canadians etc, but if anyone Israeli is reading this, it's Elite Marir.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 18:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The diabetic chocolat,e what is that? Is it sweetened with sugar alcohols?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 01:30
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

yes, it is. maltitol, mostly.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb-My Version
Stats: 278.5/000.0/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 217%

debmeg:
This looks delicious, and I can't wait to try it.
2 questions:
How much is your 1/2 stick of butter. Our butter comes in 1 pound blocks in Canada, not sticks. Is it the same as a stick of butter in the United States?
And what size is the cake pan. I am assuming you mean a springform pan that has the removable bottom with sides that are about 3 inches tall, but what is the width. 8 inch, 9inch or 10 inches.

Thanks,
Ottawa, Canada
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 01:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

A stick of butter is 1/2 cup in the US