Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 04:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Part 4, Excellent, I'd title it the Best Reality Check Ever posted!
Don't give up before the Fasting section, Amy's views about Dr Fung's protocols are spot on.
Funny, I too love blue cheese and Dr Fung http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461563
The term she didn't use in the fasting section is the one that drives me nuts on this forum...the worry over "starvation mode" by those who are 40 + pounds overweight.

To Amy...great post I will be sharing...and desperately need to follow myself! Thank you for taking the time over the holidays to provide better directed guidance than "make a New Year's Resolution" Best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/1...g-weight-4.html
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 08:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yes, I commented on this over on the Fung thread. A truly wonderful post.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 13:51

Plan: Self-designed
Stats: 158/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks, Janet!

Happy new year to all the low-carbers here, too.
Only one more post in the fat loss series...I'm getting tired of it, and my readers probably are, too. Probably lots more things I could talk about - gut biome, hormones other than thyroid - but frankly, I'm running out of steam. There are other things I'm more excited to write about, and there's no way I can cover every possible factor that could hold up weight loss. (Besides, if I did, then I'd put myself out of business. Haha! No, just kidding...actually, stubborn fat loss is probably the single most difficult issue I face with my clients and it's really, really tough to get people to understand how complex it is, and how long it might take before people start seeing results.)

I need to add a link to this podcast somewhere in that series, because Jim Laird was SPOT-ON with his observations from a few decades as a very successful personal trainer. I think anyone struggling with stubborn fat loss would learn a lot from it - particularly working women/working moms, who are spread way too thin and don't realize how significantly their go-go-go lifestyle is affecting their hormones & metabolism: http://robbwolf.com/2015/12/22/epis...g-and-recovery/

Last edited by TuitNutrit : Fri, Jan-01-16 at 13:52. Reason: Forgot something.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 17:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The term she didn't use in the fasting section is the one that drives me nuts on this forum...the worry over "starvation mode" by those who are 40 + pounds overweight.
I don't think the 40+ lb overweights are worried about actually "starving", but about slowing down their metabolisms. It actually happened to people like me when following low-calorie low-fat high-carb diets - I would gain weight if I exercised less than 1 hr/day or ate more than 1100 calories or skipped meals while eating carbs when I did eat. On LCHF and IFing, however, I don't have to worry about my metabolism slowing down even when eating 300 calories on fasting days. The key is avoiding carbs or your personal inflammatory substances.

Leemack, what was causing your 42 lbs of water retention?

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jan-01-16 at 17:18.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 17:32
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra

Leemack, what was causing your 42 lbs of water retention?

A combination of premenstrual hormones and ibuprofen, with the ibuprofen pretty much doubling the 'normal' premenstrual retention I suffer.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 13:16

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nice wrap up posting.
Does she mention medication on any of these postings? I just can't recall. I've done some investigation of the drug I am on and finding interesting info.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 17:27

And another thing (sigh) are you just constitutionally obesity prone? I sure am, and have the baby photos to prove it. It only got worse in elementary school.
Another interesting post from Amy ( and Woo)

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...resistance.html
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 08:54

Amy has a new post, How to Cut Fat on a Ketogenic Diet
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...at-on-keto.html

Another truth bomb from Amy

One excerpt:

Quote:
Too much fat. On a ketogenic diet.
This is possible. It is, as they say, “a thing.”
Remember: when you reduce your carbohydrate intake to the point that your body must switch over to running primarily on fat for fuel, you go from being a “sugar burner” to being a “fat burner.” But what this means is that you’re burning fat. It doesn’t mean that the fat you’re burning will automatically and unfailingly come from your love handles and thunder thighs adipose tissue (your stored body fat). It could be coming from your fatty coffee, avocado smoothie, fat bombs, or a heavier-than-you-realize hand with nuts, cheese, and ranch dressing.

Bottom line: the more fat you eat, the less of a need your body has to tap into its stored fat to use for fuel. If you’re already lean and happy with your weight, this is no problem. You might need a bunch of fat just to maintain your weight. (I hate you. Lucky you.) But if you’re struggling with fat loss on low carb despite doing “all the right things” and being on-point with your diet, there’s a chance you’re simply overdoing the dietary fat.

It’s true. If your carbs are very low, then insulin will be pretty low, which is what allows you to get into “fat burning mode.” But just because insulin is low doesn’t mean you’ll magically drop body fat regardless of how many calories you take in. Even if you’re in ketosis, the food energy you take in still has to go somewhere. It has to be used or stored. And if you’re using the fat from your food, you’re not going to be using the fat from your hips or belly. After all, that’s what stored body fat is there for: as an energy supply to be used when there isn’t enough energy coming in. If you drink a cup of coffee loaded with 400 calories of butter and coconut oil, your body has no reason to use its backup supply of fat.

Continues. Long article, many good links, better read on Tuit Nutrition.

It's a good follow-up to a previous post on 9 Keto Myths http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/1...diet-myths.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-26-17 at 09:19.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 09:50

Amy has started her own YouTube Channel.
Congratulations to Amy, sure that it will be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoY...NcrXMBgDOOT2pY8
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-18, 14:06

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks, Janet, for letting us know about Amy Berger’s Tuit Nutrition YouTube channel. Have only watched a couple of the videos so far, but they are insightful and to the point.

Keto Police
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9F-tP-WXds

The truth about Food Quality on Keto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUSCr_FdD4