Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-19, 12:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Back when sugar was healthy!

https://www.businessinsider.com/vin...aid-ads-2014-10

"The sugar in a soft drink, a couple of cookies, or a candy bar turns into energy in minutes," the ad says, claiming sugary foods are helpful for "cutting your appetite and increasing your energy."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-19, 12:14

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

From Dr. John McDougall (The Starch Solution) -

Coke Keeps You Thin (Sugar Is Not Fattening)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-19, 16:16

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC

Oh my gosh! What?!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-19, 20:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I love this from 2012:
Quote:
A group of 224 adolescents (124 boys and 100 girls) who reported consuming at least one serving (12 oz.) per day of sugar-sweetened beverages or 100% fruit juice were enrolled. The 1-year intervention consisted of home delivery of non-caloric beverages (e.g., bottled water and “diet” beverages) every 2 weeks, monthly motivational telephone calls with parents (30 minutes per call), and three check-in visits with participants (20 minutes per visit). The authors’ conclusion: “…replacement of sugar-sweetened beverages with non-caloric beverages did not improve body weight over a 2-year period…”

Wow . . . . . . . . . . can we get any looser in a "study?" And the adolescents, what were their ages??? What were the "diet" beverages? Was there a control group? What did the control group consume? Shocking, sad.

Edited to correct a ridiculous spelling error

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sat, Oct-12-19 at 09:07.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-19, 07:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC

Just shocking garbage.... but I can see how a little but of bad info leads to very wrong and tragic advice.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-19, 10:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Gee - too bad I didn't know sugar would keep me thin when I was in high school. I had always been a bit chunky, but high school put me in charge of what went into my mouth. There was a DQ across the street for cherry cokes, vending machines in the school with Cheetos (I had orange fingers thru most of my junior year), and the best ever huge cinnamon rolls (those lunch ladies were wizards!). If I said I needed more money for lunch mom gave it to me so I had plenty to spend. All that sugar kept me craving more.

What I've learned on low carb is that the less I eat of something, the less I crave it. And when I do have a craving, it's easier to defeat.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-19, 12:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS

What I've learned on low carb is that the less I eat of something, the less I crave it. And when I do have a craving, it's easier to defeat.

THAT could be carved in stone. A golden rule.

You reminded me of the pizzarei that also sold candy.....a daily torture as students going to grammar school had to walk within 100 feet of tge storefront. Oh, the aromas and temptation !! We bought bags of candy.... which mother promptly took away.

If only she had known all that candy would have kept me thin!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 04:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

My favorite refutation of Dr. John McDougall (The Starch Solution) comes from Mark's Daily Apple:

My Escape from Vegan Island

Quote:
My wife’s parents have been strict vegans for nearly thirty years and are ardent followers of Dr. McDougall. McDougall’s own story involves having had a severe stroke at age 19 from which, at 59, he still limps. He became an MD and eventually realized that diet was an important part of the health equation. He’s a very likable and charming guy. I had a few superficial discussions with him, even attended a few of his nightly lectures. His heart is certainly in the right place, but I fear he is leading people down a wholly inappropriate dietary path. At the risk of oversimplifying, the basis of his program is that almost all starch is good, all fat is bad and meat of any kind is deadly. It is, in his words, a “starch-based” diet, high in grains and legumes.

If I ate a "starch-based” diet, high in grains and legumes, I would be in the hospital and they would be baffled about what was wrong with me.

Quote:
But he does imply that when you eat vegetarian, you can have all you want…and therein lay the source of much amusement for me. The lecture would adjourn and everyone would line up for the buffet line which would, at virtually every meal, include copious amounts of breads and rolls, rice, potatoes, pasta, beans, some anemic-looking steamed vegetables and a romaine-only lettuce salad. No dressings allowed. The only fat I could see was in the guacamole that served as a spread. The desert table had a variety of fruits and at least two choices of so-called “healthy” cakes. The drinks were generally overly sweetened fruit drinks.

This takes me back to the 90's, when I lucked into a free mountain climbing machine and tried low fat. I kept myself in a size 12 that way. With low carb, then keto levels, I'm now a size 6/8. Better results.

AND I'm not tooting like a steamboat heading upriver. One of the amazing things about NOT eating sugar and starch, grains and legumes, is that such embarassing gas issues have essentially vanished.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Oct-27-19 at 04:30.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 09:09
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

All these years since 1972 there could well have been an enlightening study. If only anybody had cared enough, I'd have been happy to have been their guinea pig. I'm proof positive that McDougal was wrong, and I don't limp.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-19, 14:04

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
...AND I'm not tooting like a steamboat heading upriver. One of the amazing things about NOT eating sugar and starch, grains and legumes, is that such embarassing gas issues have essentially vanished.

McDougall acknowledges the gassiness problem in (at least) one of his books and says the people at his 10-day program call themselves "McBuglers" because of the tooting. My own family was not so understanding when I was doing the McDougall diet, apparently because the McBugling was accompanied by McStinking.