Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-19, 14:53

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Confession....I am going to go on a carb bender....

Backpacking with my son M-W in Cranberry wilderness. I know I could go low carb in the back country, but my son and I have a routine and meal plan when backpacking, so I am going to go on a high carb bender for 3 days. We are going to be hiking about 26 miles over the 3 days, 13 on Monday, 9 with climbs on Tuesday, 4 out on Wednesday morning.

My carb sins will be plenty....and I hate to admit I am looking forward to some of them. But I will come back to reality and proper eating on Thursday, understanding that if I return to my nacho chip, ice cream, french fry eating ways I will find myself looking 6 months pregnant in a matter of months.

So, this is my pre-confession and my pledge to get back on the low-carb path.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-19, 19:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I say enjoy every bit; Food and fun with Son. You know what to do now return or not here.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-19, 07:27

BF:

Just a follow-up. Backpacking trip is behind me, 25 miles in 2 days. I did go carby, beginning with a Chick fil a biscuit as we drove to the hike, and ending with a Five Guys Cheeseburger and fries after the hike...and the sum total is that I lost a little over 1 pound. Probably would be down 2-3 lbs if I stayed low carb, but the cheeseburger was good, as were the reeces peanut butter cups.

Back to low carbing it...no regrets and no hesitations to get back on track quickly.

Until next time:-)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-19, 09:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Early discipline over time with LC consistency limits the negative results and enables a quick rebound. There are certain activities where it is far more important to function spontaneously and enjoy the moments. Good stuff!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 10:47

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

As someone who's been trying to be low carb for quite a few years and falling off, I hear ya. I'm the last person to judge anyone. But I just would keep going back on it after a cheat, and try to stay on it. It was terrible for losing weight doing that. I just kept going up and down, but I kept at it and now I'm low carb/keto and really determined to take care of my health. The last time I went on a wheat junk food bender, I came down with the cold from hell. My immunity plummeted. Now since being low carb and actually sticking to it, I haven't gotten a cold in a year so far.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 12:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

When I'm on vacation, especially in a country where I've never been before and probably will never return, I don't deny myself, but try to control myself, saving the carbs for what seems like the most delightful treats.

Fortunately for my body I don't more than one vacation per year, unfortunately for my brain I only get one vacation per year.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 14:24

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I did a 3 day hike in 2017 on the Kepler Track in Fiordland National Park here in New Zealand, covering about 50km/30mi in that time.

The food I took with me was mostly low carb: I took half a dozen eggs, some sausages, a can of vege soup, prepared some bunless burgers in advance and a couple of wraps (the exception), as well as a pair of bags of grated cheese and macadamia nuts for nibbling on, as an alternative to the usual scroggin-type mixes.

Contrary to some expectations going in with regard to the food, everything went fine. In fact, the vege soup was never needed at all and I only got halfway through one of the bags of cheese and nuts. The thing that stood out to me was not so much how hungry I was but how thirsty I was, but there was never any shortage of waterways through the forest from which we could refill our bottles.

I can understand the reasoning for mixing the food up a bit for something like this, though. When I travelled to the States in late 2016, it was pretty much a case of managing as best I could with whatever options were available, with a few more choices that one could consider to be outright deviations. It's kind of a one-off experience that you don't want to have impacted too much by a LC WOE, so I get that.

But as soon as I was back home, it was straight back to the regular eating routine again. I think that's the most important thing with these kinds of situations, that they remain one-offs, and that when you're at home etc just living your daily routine, you're still making LC part of that regular daily routine.

Carry on.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 16:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
I did a 3 day hike in 2017 on the Kepler Track in Fiordland National Park here in New Zealand, covering about 50km/30mi in that time.

The food I took with me was mostly low carb: I took half a dozen eggs, some sausages, a can of vege soup, prepared some bunless burgers in advance and a couple of wraps (the exception), as well as a pair of bags of grated cheese and macadamia nuts for nibbling on, as an alternative to the usual scroggin-type mixes.

Contrary to some expectations going in with regard to the food, everything went fine. In fact, the vege soup was never needed at all and I only got halfway through one of the bags of cheese and nuts. The thing that stood out to me was not so much how hungry I was but how thirsty I was, but there was never any shortage of waterways through the forest from which we could refill our bottles.

I can understand the reasoning for mixing the food up a bit for something like this, though. When I travelled to the States in late 2016, it was pretty much a case of managing as best I could with whatever options were available, with a few more choices that one could consider to be outright deviations. It's kind of a one-off experience that you don't want to have impacted too much by a LC WOE, so I get that.

But as soon as I was back home, it was straight back to the regular eating routine again. I think that's the most important thing with these kinds of situations, that they remain one-offs, and that when you're at home etc just living your daily routine, you're still making LC part of that regular daily routine.

Carry on.

It is kinda funny, but my son and I always carry way more food then we will ever eat. After busting ass all day you really are not that hungry...thirsty yes, but only moderately hungry. We packed food for 3 days, probably could have lived well off the food for 5 days, and knocked out the hike in 2 days. We carried out probably 2/3 of the food we packed in. The extra weight was all good, as it worked the legs more

(I would love to see New Zealand some day)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 18:40

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

When traveling I always carry 'emergency food'. Nuts, low-carb bars, and so on. Especially for airplanes as there is nothing on the plane that is worth a carb.

On vacation I do watch myself, but there are things unique to a foreign land that I would regret if I didn't at least have a small taste. It's part of being there, tasting their food, listening to their music, drinking their beverages and immersing myself in their culture to the extent to which I am able

Bob