Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-20, 06:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Long COVID research desperately needed

Like so many of us, I got into low carb for weight loss more than health. But it turns out it is the same thing. It acquired a much deeper level when I discovered how transformative it was for DH, who suffered from CFS/ME, aka Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Now, we might see a worldwide awakening. In the article The many strange long-term symptoms of Covid-19, explained, I am seeing a giant mirror to my husband's battle. Now, people need to know what worked for him.

Quote:
Before Covid-19, Brown was a healthy, active Black woman in her 30s. “But when I came off the ventilator, they had to coach me how to breathe.” The smallest pleasures — like eating a sliver of ice after her feeding tube was removed — became something to treasure.

Six months later, Brown is still very ill. She has been hospitalized for blood clots and has lingering heart problems, nerve pain, and extreme fatigue. “Even making breakfast is now out of the question,” she says. Most troublingly, she’s still experiencing severe brain fog, which makes it hard for her to return to work.

Brown is just one of many previously healthy people whose life has been derailed after a Covid-19 infection. While early research on Covid-19 focused on its respiratory symptoms, we now know its impacts — both direct and indirect — can be much more extensive and relentless.

This is what is now called "post-viral syndrome." It's autoimmune and malnutrition and bad nerve wiring and metabolic disorders all rolled together in a toxic stew of misery.

The only possible silver lining in this cloud is how people like DH will stop being scorned for "making it up" when there are millions of people struggling to deal with something. That many people can't be told, "It's all in your head."

Quote:
For those who survive, like Brown, the questions are pervasive. “How will this affect me when I want to have a baby?” Brown asks. “What is next? We have no idea. No one can tell me anything specific.” She’s frustrated that friends her age still assume that if they get infected, they’ll recover.

“You might be okay, but you might not,” Brown says. She says she’s angry about how the pandemic has been measured in deaths rather than in lives disrupted. “The disparities are shocking. And more will be lost if we don’t make adjustments.”

The most chilling part is that these persistent issues can occur even in people who had what they thought was a mild illness, or were even non-symptomatic. Some might not even know they have been infected until they discover they have mysteriously lost vigor and acquired a set of disturbing issues.

So, I wanted to post the best doctor I know, Dr. Sarah Myhill. She is treating this syndrome with diet, supplements, and strategies. She says, "eating keto is more than half the treatment" and she's got a lot of great ideas for managing this condition.

And as I know with my own health struggles, a condition well-managed is essentially not a condition at all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-20, 11:11

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Thanks for the link! As a long-haul Covid-19 survivor, I will check it out and see if there is anything I missed.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-20, 20:58

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I read that same article. And had the exact same thought – much more research and studies are needed! I am using COVID as my motivation to stay on plan. And if I slip, I remind myself of the risks of COVID to get myself back on track.

There’s another MD that has posted that a ketogenic diet may be beneficial in strengthening the body against COVID. Dr. Liji Thomas. I’m sure there are others as well. But I’m trying not to binge read about COVID at this point.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 08:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

On Dr David Perlmutter's blog today:

Quote:
The term “long-haul COVI D” has now entered our lexicon in relationship to this infectious disease.

Unlike so many other infectious events, it looks like, in many people, COVI D-19 is not monophasic. This means that a significant number of individuals have persistent symptoms for extended periods of time.

This experience may now be affecting millions of people globally following their supposed “recovery.”

These long-term issues may involve the lungs, the cardiovascular system, the brain and other parts of the nervous system, and even may have psychological consequences, any of which may prove to be debilitating.

And they are anything but uncommon.

An article recently appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association entitled "Long-term Health Consequences of COVI D-19" authored by Carlos del Rio, MD, Distinguished Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Emory University School of Medicine.

Dr. del Rio joins us today to discuss these long-term health consequences in terms of their frequency, mechanisms, and possible therapeutics, and what the future may look like with reference to this emerging issue.

Click to listen here:

https://www.drperlmutter.com/long-t...69e3 cfd4ff832