Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 11:44

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko
Ah Martin, perhaps try typing on an iPhone and see where that gets you. Is that what you are reduced to? Grammar policing?

You have nothing of value to add to any scentific discussion, but that does not stop you - so I see no reason not to add something.

Care to explain entropy in the example of tef? Or will you do the patented Martin Levac truffle shuffle?

Hm, maybe it's your iPhone again but you wrote "so I see no reason not to add something". That's a double negative, it's confusing even for me. Does that mean you will add something? I mean, when you take out the double negative, you're left with "so I see reason to add something". Look buddy, it's obvious you have a problem you need to take care of so just go and do that and come back when you can have a decent discussion with the rest of us, OK?
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 18:28

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I don't know that it would make sense that an increase in plasma fatty acids would down regulate lipolysis. However, it would be in line with all the other negative feedback loops. On the other hand, since you speak of adrenaline, which is a fight-or-flee hormone, then it would also make sense that lipogenesis would go up to replenish what was used during the bout. On the third hand, I don't immediately see how that would fit when no carbohydrate were eaten. Maybe lipogenesis still goes up, only less so due to the lack of glycerol substrate.

On the last hand, since there is no glycerol substrate, or very little, then the fuel that will be used will come from the gut, not from the fat tissue. Consequently, the fat tissue will somewhat lose some of its former function and atrophy. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the fat released from fat tissue and the fat eaten go through different routes before they end up in the bloodstream and that could have some impact on all those variables. Also also, digestion is much more expensive than merely releasing fat that was stored and already in a form ready to use. This implies that eating fat would require some amount of fuel from the fat tissue, before the fat eaten could be utilized, thereby reducing the total fat stored further. This implies further that eating more fat would reduce this fat further still.

The system would shift toward putting fuel to digestion instead of everywhere else. A new homeostatic equilibrium would be reached at some point whereby the focus of fuel metabolism-utilization would be put on the gut, not on the fat tissue. Again one more reason for the fat tissue to lose its former function and atrophy.

Finally, maintaining all that fat, while not being so expensive to release from fat tissue, is rather expensive and some fuel would be diverted to it making it unavailable to other tissues who actually need it. This implies that being fat makes us more hungry.

And really finally, since the whole idea isn't merely to provide enough fuel to the gut but to provide enough fuel to the brain, and all other tissues that need it, the gut, indeed the whole system, would become quite efficient at digesting and metabolizing the fat eaten at some point and would require marginally less fuel. Thus making us satiated more quickly.

There's one thing I don't know, it's the time table for all these things to happen. I have no idea.

It's an extension of the "expensive tissue" idea that I just thought up. Here's Eades on the subject:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...arians-part-ii/

Thanks for the link, that is a fascinating article!
  #243   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 00:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/253/220 Male 183
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Hm, maybe it's your iPhone again but you wrote "so I see no reason not to add something". That's a double negative, it's confusing even for me. Does that mean you will add something? I mean, when you take out the double negative, you're left with "so I see reason to add something". Look buddy, it's obvious you have a problem you need to take care of so just go and do that and come back when you can have a decent discussion with the rest of us, OK?

The shuffle, it starts.

How about you answer a question

Care to explain entropy in the example of tef?

Shuffle to the left, shuffle to the right
  #244   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 07:22

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
The shuffle, it starts.

Hi Cycomiko,

Maybe instead, you could explain to us your version of how entropy is applied to the human body regarding obesity? That would be interesting.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
  #245   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 07:31

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
The shuffle, it starts.

How about you clarify what you meant by "so I see no reason not to add something"? Did you mean "so I see no reason to add something"? In which case, it makes me wonder why you still post in this thread. On the other hand, it's the second time you ask me to explain entropy in the example of tef. Why do you ask me, I wonder. Maybe you're trying to put me to the test? If I thought that would benefit me, I'd probably answer. However, I'm pretty sure that my benefit isn't your intent here. Maybe you don't know yourself so you ask somebody, me for example, to give you the answer? I'd like to help you there but again, I don't see a benefit to myself. All you're left with is other people, or the internet, or go back to school and learn the damn thing on your own.

Finally, if you were not already aware, you are harassing me. For what purpose, who knows and it doesn't matter anyway. The point is that you are at fault and if you do not take steps to address your behavior, I will.