Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-20, 13:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Confused About Nutrition?

You'll be even more confused if you read this. Talk about conflict of interest:

https://www.clifbar.com/stories/con...you-should-know

Quote:
"We all want our food to help us be healthier, but it’s confusing to know what foods to eat when there is so much nutrition information out there. Just know you are not alone if you feel overwhelmed and frustrated.

I hope that your biggest takeaway from this article is to think critically about where you get your nutrition information from before you make any dietary changes."

Yep, no wonder the public is confused. That's ok, as Luna, the manufacturer of Clif Bars, is going to help you separate fact from fiction. Thank goodness someone is taking care of our best interests. It's lonely out there sometimes . . .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-20, 14:02

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

congratulations Andy, you are well on your way to becoming yet another registered dietitian!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-20, 14:54

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Yep, no wonder the public is confused. That's ok, as Luna, the manufacturer of Clif Bars, is going to help you separate fact from fiction. Thank goodness someone is taking care of our best interests. It's lonely out there sometimes . . .
Without printed nutrition labels on commercial packaging, how would we ever be able to find nutritious foods?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-20, 15:28

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

When looking for reliable nutritional information I always search for a social media influencer and aspiring registered dietician, especially when they are associated with a commercial junk food product masquerading as a health food.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-20, 06:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
When looking for reliable nutritional information I always search for a social media influencer and aspiring registered dietician, especially when they are associated with a commercial junk food product masquerading as a health food.

That made me laugh!

My own journey is probably whackier than most, but it was studying actual nutrition working in my own body which led me to my present happy place. Now, I just tell people, "You have to figure out what works for YOU. I can tell you what works for ME... but be prepared. It's weird."
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-20, 09:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal

This made me Thanks Jean and happy holidays.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-20, 15:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I'm sooooo glad I studied nutrition in college. It has been a great jumping off point........too many published articles for lay people is misleading......and biased.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-20, 07:47

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Where my head is right now, if you have to rely on nutrition labels, you're eating the wrong foods. Yes, that package of steak has a nutrition label, but I think you get what I mean. Instead of the numbers on nutrition labels, we should be instead focusing on the list of ingredients. Whole foods, not foods processed with lots of chemicals, preservatives, and sugar.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-20, 11:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Kind of obvious why this "social media influencer and aspiring registered dietician" feels compelled to teach people how to read labels. Here's just one list of ingredients of many of the available Clif Bar flavors, Chocolate Peppermint Stick:

Quote:
Ingredients

PROTEIN GRAIN BLEND (CRISPS [SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, RICE FLOUR*, ALKALIZED COCOA*], ROLLED OATS*, ROASTED SOYBEANS*, SOY FLOUR*), BROWN RICE SYRUP*, CANE SUGAR*, CHICORY FIBER SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OIL*, ALKALIZED COCOA*, PALM KERNEL OIL, UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE*, PALM KERNEL SOLIDS*, SOY FLOUR*, NATURAL FLAVORS, SOY LECITHIN*, SEA SALT, BEET JUICE CONCENTRATE (FOR COLOR)*.

*ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Allergen statement

CONTAINS SOY. MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS, TREE NUTS, AND MILK.

Yes, one would need a Phd in label reading to conclude that not only does this "food" provide little nutritive value, but it contains more sugar than I would care to consume. Many companies like Luna are hiding behind the addition of fructose implying that it's the healthier sweet and that people need it for their healthy energy requirements. In their ads, they show healthy, fit, athletic people who have obviously benefited from regular consumption of Clif Bars. Subliminal messaging at its best.

Am I correct in thinking that Andy Arnold is possibly the modern day version of Betty Crocker?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-20, 17:59

BF:

- Palm Kernel Oil -

How Dare They!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-20, 18:03

BF:

Quote:

Am I correct in thinking that Andy Arnold is possibly the modern day version of Betty Crocker?

you may be right Rob!

==== internets sez ====

Q: Was Betty Crocker a real person?

Surprising, then, that Betty Crocker isn't actually a real person. She is the brainchild of an advertising campaign developed by the Washburn-Crosby Company, a flour milling company started in the late 1800's that eventually became General Mills
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-20, 07:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
In their ads, they show healthy, fit, athletic people who have obviously benefited from regular consumption of Clif Bars. Subliminal messaging at its best.

Well said. I consider myself an educated consumer and not one to be drawn into such subliminal messaging, and yet I've caught myself more than a few times thinking, "If they all can all be attractive and fit and eat/drink __________, I should be able to, too!"