Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-20, 10:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Lab-grown meat is here – but would you eat it?

Quote:
Lab-grown meat is here – but would you eat it?

As Singapore approves the sale of cultured meat, we pick over the bones of the health and ethical implications of 'fake meat'

Takeaway delivery giant Just Eat has become a household name because of the frictionless way it delivers fast food right to our doors. But Eat Just, an American company producing something entirely different, could become as well-known in a few years.

The firm has received approval from Singapore’s Food Agency to sell cultured chicken meat, which has been produced without slaughtering a single animal. Cells taken from live biopsies of chickens are cultivated in a 1,200-litre bioreactor until they multiply, at which point they’re combined with other plant-based ingredients to produce a chicken alternative.

The whole process isn’t quite vegetarian – as well as using cells taken from live animals, the process also uses foetal bovine serum, taken from blood in the foetus of animals – but it could help reduce the slaughter of animals worldwide. More than 130 million chickens are killed every day to enter our food chain, according to the World Health Organisation.

It’s a landmark moment in a journey towards lab-grown meat that started in earnest seven years ago, when a Maastricht University professor made and cooked a burger produced from 20,000 strands of lab-cultivated beef muscle tissue on live television. The burger cost £220,000 to create, while Eat Just’s chicken meat will cost about a still-not-insignificant £37.50 per nugget.

But experts predict prices are likely to come down. By 2040, 60 per cent of the meat we eat is likely to come from a similar production process to lab-grown chicken or from plant-based meat alternatives such as Quorn or Beyond Meat, say consultants AT Kearney.

That would have a huge impact on animal welfare and on the environment. It could even make vegetarians, who don’t eat meat for environmental reasons, rethink their approach to abstaining. Sixty per cent of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions come from meat production, according to a 2018 study. And while beef is the worst polluter, accounting for up to 105kg of greenhouse gas emissions per 100g of protein produced, chicken isn’t exactly green either: for every 100g of poultry, up to 12kg of greenhouse gases are produced.

A cleaner, less cruel alternative could well make some vegetarians reconsider their diet.

Rob Lawrence, 43, from North Buckinghamshire, hasn’t eaten meat for more than 30 years. While he welcomes the ethical benefits of lab-grown meat, he’s not certain he’ll make the switch himself. “I feel my existing diet is probably well-balanced and I’m not spending a lot of money on vegetarian alternatives,” he says.

Sharon McKee, 51, from Newcastle, is also unconvinced. A vegetarian from the age of 16, she says: “In the olden days you didn’t get many meat substitutes, and when you did they were generally awful.” But it could convince others, she believes. “I do think it’s a great development, and might be likely to persuade people to eat less meat.”

Philip Lymbery, global CEO of Compassion in World Farming, agrees. “Cultured meat presents the prospect of a future of large-scale meat production without the suffering involved in factory farming and with a fraction of the land use and greenhouse gas emissions.

“There is an urgent need for a big shift in meat consumption patterns if we are to stop the suffering of factory farming and leave a sustainable future for the future generation. Cultured meat has the potential to transform the global food market.”

But is it healthier? The jury on the latest chicken alternative is still out, though there are some differences between what you see coming out of slaughterhouses and what you see coming out of laboratories.

“When meat is produced in a lab it has muscle fibres, and sometimes fat cells, that are being grown, so this is quite different to meat from animals where pieces of muscle will be accompanied by blood vessels, fat, connective tissues, bones and skin, depending on the cut of meat,” says Bridget Benelam, a nutrition scientist at the British Nutrition Foundation.

Whether lab-grown meat is as nutritious as the natural alternatives will depend on how it’s produced. Laboratories can add vitamins and minerals to partly replicate the beneficial qualities of meat, in the same way cereal is often fortified with vitamin D. “Lab-grown meat also has the potential for some nutritional advantages, such as reduced saturated fat or increased fibre,” says Benelam.

Although tinkering with products does change the taste and texture, which may put manufacturers off making too many changes.

However, a like-for-like substitution could well convince many to make the switch – and could well save our planet along the way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...meat-would-eat/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-20, 06:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Nope. I would not eat it until there was lots of data on how it affects humans.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-20, 04:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm wary, just because "they" have been so very wrong in the past. And it looks like they are manufacturing "meat" to conform with their prejudices:

Quote:
Whether lab-grown meat is as nutritious as the natural alternatives will depend on how it’s produced. Laboratories can add vitamins and minerals to partly replicate the beneficial qualities of meat, in the same way cereal is often fortified with vitamin D. “Lab-grown meat also has the potential for some nutritional advantages, such as reduced saturated fat or increased fibre,” says Benelam.

I want MORE saturated fat and NO fiber.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-20, 07:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hell Ya I'd eat it! I'll try anything at least once
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-20, 11:05

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
The firm has received approval from Singapore’s Food Agency to sell cultured chicken meat, which has been produced without slaughtering a single animal. Cells taken from live biopsies of chickens are cultivated in a 1,200-litre bioreactor until they multiply, at which point they’re combined with other plant-based ingredients to produce a chicken alternative.

If they're combining cultivated chicken cells with plant based ingredients to produce a chicken alternative, I wonder what the proportion of chicken based to plant based is in the "chicken alternative"?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-20, 06:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
If they're combining cultivated chicken cells with plant based ingredients to produce a chicken alternative, I wonder what the proportion of chicken based to plant based is in the "chicken alternative"?

And it has nothing to do with "health" at all. I'm old enough, and well read enough, to remember when it was a GIVEN that our species developed the big brains from hunting and cooking. When the most important thing to remember about feeding growing children was getting them enough high quality protein. Which meant MEAT.

Now we're told the foundational food of our entire species is deadly and will kill all. All from religious fanaticism and fanatical profit seeking.

The very idea that what we need most is processed food that is the opposite of what we ate for millennia simply shows the efficiency of giant marketing initiatives.

And how poorly the average citizen can think for themselves.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-20, 10:18

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Would I eat lab grown beef or ham?

I would not eat them here or there
I would not eat them anywhere
I would not eat them in a house
I would not eat them with a mouse
I would not eat them in a box
I would not eat them with a fox
I would not eat them on a train
I would not eat them in the rain

With apologies to Dr. Seuss
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-20, 10:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Would I eat lab grown beef or ham?

I would not eat them in a house
I would not eat them with a mouse
I would not eat them in a box
I would not eat them with a fox
I would not eat them on a train
I would not eat them in the rain

With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Perfect!

I don't trust them either, not one bit.

And we can be almost 100% certain that if they're grown from animal protein cells, there's not going to be a bit of fat grown from animal cells in it. That may be part of the plant based stuff they're adding to it - some lovely PUFAs, just to make sure you don't consume any of that dastardly cholesterol laden saturated fat that naturally occurs in real meat.

I'm starting to be glad that I'm old enough that I'm not likely to live long enough for lab grown meat to become the standard protein source for the masses, and that hopefully as long as I live, you'll at least still be able to get real chicken, beef, pork, and seafood, even if it comes with the attempt to administer a huge dose of guilt for eating real animal products.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 08:54

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

And I don't think lab grown meat is saving the planet.

Cows on pasturelands that aren't "finished" on a feed lot saves the planet.

It's not fake news, it's propaganda.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 10:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

One only needs to review the history of manufactured, mass produced "foods" to conclude that this thing called "meat" is potentially fraught with negatives and may be as deleterious to human health and the planet as other manufactured foods. Can manufactured meat add soil nutrients to benefit associated, farm-raised crops in a balanced farming approach? Biodynamic farming practices allow crops and animals to be raised in a complementary, synergistic fashion with natural soil nutrients from animals used to amend soil for continual healthy crop growing. I would say that aware vegetarians or plant-based advocates would benefit tremendously from this model; yet, the marketing of these manufactured "foods" are publicized to appeal to those who have an ethical stance against animal consumption or believe that consumption of animals (especially the dreaded red meat) is dangerous. What a crazy world.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 10:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

You couldn’t pay me to eat it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 13:48

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Never.

Wouldn't touch this science experiment for anything
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 14:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Nope. Never.

Prefer eggs from my free range chickens......and their "chicken".
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-20, 04:35

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I will never touch it, or anything similar.