Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cori
A lot of the argument for LC comes from an evolutionary viewpoint. Don't get me wrong, I'm a smart, educated woman, but I don't exactly believe in evolution. Let's just say I believe in intelligent design. I mean, I believe humans and other creatures have evolved, but I don't buy into the we all came from goo theory. I believe God designed us, put us here.

If you read biblical accounts, man ate everything. Meat, fruits, vegetables, bread.

Part of your problem, I think, is that you're confusing science and religion.

Religion says, "People in the Bible ate a diet of meat, fruits, vegetables, and bread, therefore I should eat a diet of meat, fruits, vegetables, and bread. If this doesn't work for me, then there's a problem with reality."

Science says, "Prehistoric man got fewer calories from carbohydrates than we do -- perhaps a low-carb diet would provide benefits for modern man." Then science tests the idea against reality. If reality doesn't agree with the theory, a good scientist changes the theory. You, working with a religious mindset, seem to think that some of us practice low-carb dieting because we "believe" in evolution in the way you believe in the Bible -- but it ain't necessarily so. I think most of us practicing the LC WOL do so because it works for us -- the speculations about prehistoric diets are attempts to explain why it works.

Quote:
I was just reading the post about low-carb not being sustainable for the "world at large". And it's true. Scientifically speaking, producing meat depletes the earth and it's resources. Not to mention the horrors of pollution and the meat markets.

So I feel all in flux. Science vs. religion??? I have trouble reconciling the stuff in my head. I truly believe that we can choose a diet that will bless our bodies and the earth. But I know the diet that blesses my body (low-carb) doesn't bless the earth. And the diet that truly blesses the earth (vegetarian) does not bless my body. And although I know some of you do it, I have not been able to eat vegetarian low-carb.

"If God didn't intend for us to eat animals, why did He make them so tasty?" It's a tired joke, but I think there's some wisdom to it. If all God's chillun should be vegetarians, why does a low-carb diet work so well for at least some of us?

Maybe God wants you to dedicate your life toward helping build a sustainable agricultural system that can provide more people with meat as well as grains and vegetables. Then again, maybe He just wants you to be overweight.

Quote:
I'm having a great amount of trouble talking myself back onto a low-carb diet. So I came here for some back up. Does somebody have my back???

You want us to convince you to return to a way of eating that is against your principles? Yeah, surely nothing bad can happen, like you feeling guilty and blaming us or something like that...

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Fri, Aug-15-03 at 23:54.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 00:22

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Frankly, there are so many good soy products now that with soy, dairy and eggs, you might have it covered.

Give it a go.

Cheers,

Friday
  #228   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 00:41

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hoo boy, at the risk of making myself a target for a flame-war, I will say this:

I have read the Nag Hammadi texts (i.e the Gnostic Gospels), and I have read them in Coptic. At one point, Mary M says to Jesus, "Who are you who have eaten at my table and climbed into my bed?" There is also a scene where the disciples get mad because he kisses her on the mouth and appears to love her more than he loves them. They griped about that a lot.

Additionally, read the story very carefully where Jesus goes to a wedding and turns water into wine. Look at how his mother fusses about him being late, about the guests running out of wine, etc. They're her guests. Look at all the references to the bridegroom. Look at how the people say to Jesus, "Hey, most people put out the good wine first, and save the cheap stuff for after the guests are already drunk. You put out the good stuff first." It's his wedding.

There is also evidence that the historical Jesus survived the crucifixion and went with Mary M to live with the Essenes.

Cheers,

Friday

Last edited by fridayeyes : Sat, Aug-16-03 at 00:52.
  #229   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-05, 16:28

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

I know this is a couple years old, but man is it ever a good read!
  #230   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 00:29

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Read this whole thread tonight.......

It has added fuel to the fire of pushing me near changing my legal given name (Luke), largely because it is a biblical name and I beleive most of the bible to be bunk.

For the record I was raised as a baptist. But since have read dozens and dozens of religious literature publications, and am entirely agnostic (not atheist).