Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1996   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

When I did it successfully, I ate meat, eggs & lettuce w/oil & vinegar dressing using splenda. Back then I did use the Atkins bars for when I was extremely hungry or was shopping or out where it was going to be really hard to stay at Induction level. However, most say not to use the bars on Induction, or at all. Back then I also cut out all caffine, tea & soda; but I see by the '72 version you can have some of those things if you can still loose weight. Good luck on your LSATs.
Sponsored Links
  #1997   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 13:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/151.2/135 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 66%

so the 72 version is about how many carbs per day on induction?
  #1998   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 13:54

I'm not sure - I think it's 20 but most people stay closer to 10 on Induction.
  #1999   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 14:05

Plan: my own/atkins 72ish
Stats: 187/153/137 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI goal<22
Progress: 68%

Veronica -

You've done so well so far!

What if you swapped out the cheese and prosciutto for some other kind protein? Like chicken, fish, pork or beef. That might get you out of your rut, and it would likely reduce your sodium intake as well, which could be the boost you might need. When I was hungry on induction I ate much larger portions of those meats than I do now, sometimes with some cheese or a butter sauce. The increased fat can help with hunger.

Heavy cream is a dairy product. You could make it if you had a cow

When it comes to tv snacking, I simply had to cut it out. I substituted mint tea and I drink several cups a night now. It may be sold as tisane in Italy. It helped when I told myself I could have a snack after I finished my (large) cup of tea. I ate less, and eventually realized I didn't need or want it.

Other options include cheese on celery sticks, a crunchy green salad with some protein, chicken strips or a simple chicken soup made with canned broth, chicken meat seasonings of your choice.

Good luck with your studies!
  #2000   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 14:08
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
I realize this post was from June, but I just found this thread. What is "cader"? You mean there is one diet plan I haven't heard of? Really, the "reward meal" sounds like just the plan I need. <At least AFTER I get this 10 pounds off.
CAD is the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, and people who follow that plan call themselves "caders."
  #2001   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 14:10
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
I'm not sure - I think it's 20 but most people stay closer to 10 on Induction.
No, '72 Induction is nowhere near 20g/day! It is very close to 0. If followed correctly, you will consume around 5 to 8 grams of carbs per day. It is only for one week. The rules and food lists are in the first post on Page 1 of this thread. Please read that post, so you understand how to do '72.
  #2002   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 14:13

I don't think I had the '72 book, but it wasn't the New one either. Since I lost mine, I ordered one yesterday. It didn't say New Rev. so I assumed it was the '72 one. i sure hope so.
So, you're saying the '72 Induction is only 1 week instead of 2?
  #2003   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 14:16
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
I don't think I had the '72 book, but it wasn't the New one either. Since I lost mine, I ordered one yesterday. It didn't say New Rev. so I assumed it was the '72 one. i sure hope so.
So, you're saying the '72 Induction is only 1 week instead of 2?
Yes, that's correct. The Original plan was first published in 1972. It was republished in the early '80s. All versions after that are more lenient.

I find the '72 version to fit my tastes perfectly. Veggies are not "required," and you can add back low carb foods in 5g increments, using pretty much whatever order you like.

ETA: In the '72 book, Dr. A. says to eat frequently, up to 5 or 6 times/day.

Last edited by Kisal : Wed, Nov-19-08 at 14:23.
  #2004   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 15:56

Plan: Dukan Diet
Stats: 209/198.5/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
The big difference I see between the old '72 Atkins Induction and the Zero Carb diet is this: Atkins says we can eat several meals, don't eat past full, but can eat again when hungry. Zero carb people say to eat plenty and only eat 2 or 3 (or even once) a day, because every time you eat, the insulin is released. So I'm finding myself in a dilema as to which of those ideas is the best. Eating something low carb whenever I was hungry is what got me back to 20 lbs overweight. So, although this group is for doing it the '72 Atkins way, I'm hesitant about that. OTOH now I find myself eating past 'just satisfied' to eating until I'm 'stuffed' just so I won't be hungry fo 5 hours. How often do the rest of you eat?

I have kind of morphed into a zero carb diet. I just found it easier and it works with my lifestyle. I guess I'm not strictly Atkins '72 anymore, but I like the people on this thread so I keep checking in and keeping up with people here. I hope they don't mind

I started experimenting with intermittent fasting about a month ago and LOVE it!! It was a little hard to get used to in the beginning, but now is pretty easy and I love not bringing food to work. I usually eat around 6 or 7pm and then again around 8 or 9pm, then nothing till the next evening. Again, this works really well with my lifestyle so your experience may differ. I feel like I have a better understanding of hunger now and I don't overeat at all. I think my stomach shrunk so I can't eat as much as I used to. In fact, I really hate the feeling of being stuffed or too full, so I'm a lot more careful about how much I eat. It's really helped me be more disciplined about my eating. A lower meal frequency might help you eliminate constant grazing and limit your calories by shrinking your stomach. The other nice thing about IF is I'm not afraid of being hungry. I think a lot of hunger is a state of mind. I mean I think we can psych ourselves up to think we'll drop dead if we feel a little hunger, but really you can function comfortably for a long time before it becomes a problem. I would definitely advise against eating in fear of future hunger. When I first started IF I kind of did that and it really doesn't help.

I think there are benefits to IF, but the most important thing is to have a program that works with your lifestyle otherwise you won't be able to stick with it and/or will be miserable. Try both methods and see what works better for you. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  #2005   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 16:14

BF:

i hadnět thought of IF but that is so true about the fear of being hungry for ex if i am running low on food I freak out if i can't go grocery shopping right away....when i work i forget to eat!! I think that's another part of it, is being busy.... i am going to research IF thanks!
  #2006   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 20:51
Never Give Up!

BF:

I'm back on Induction!
  #2007   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 11:51

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 252/158/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 88%

Me too! Kisal......good luck to both of us!!!!!! I mean everyone......
  #2008   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 13:17
Never Give Up!

BF:

Yesterday was a perfect Induction day! Now, I'm making a point to have another today!
  #2009   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 13:27

BF:

I jsut started today...my meals consisted of: 1. diet coke 2. like 1lb of ground meat cooked with 1/2 onion...it has been like 5 hrs since I ate and I am really full...yay!

as far as taking measurements, i am not sure exactly how to do that...it seems dumb, but I am afraid that i am either not holding it tight enough, or that the next time I measure I might measure less tight and/or in another spot which is maybe off by like an inch and then it won't be accurate....help ! I need tips on this REAL bad up to now I have just being weighing myself, but since I want to start working out now I need another frame of reference so i don't freak out when i gain a pound ...

thanks for your help!!
Veronica
  #2010   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 19:07
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome_tours
I jsut started today...my meals consisted of: 1. diet coke 2. like 1lb of ground meat cooked with 1/2 onion...it has been like 5 hrs since I ate and I am really full...yay!

as far as taking measurements, i am not sure exactly how to do that...it seems dumb, but I am afraid that i am either not holding it tight enough, or that the next time I measure I might measure less tight and/or in another spot which is maybe off by like an inch and then it won't be accurate....help ! I need tips on this REAL bad up to now I have just being weighing myself, but since I want to start working out now I need another frame of reference so i don't freak out when i gain a pound ...

thanks for your help!!
Veronica
I don't measure myself, unless I need to buy new clothes! Then I have to, so I know what size to buy!

For weight loss, I go by the scale, but also how my clothing fits. I always have a pair of jeans around that are too small. I try them on every so often, maybe every 2 to 4 weeks, to see if they're any closer to fitting me. This works better for me than any tape measure could.

Welcome to the group!
Closed Thread