Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 20:08

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%
Default "Protected" carb pasta - fact or gimmick?

I just tried the Dreamfields pasta and I really liked it but I'm skeptical about the carb count.
Does anyone know if the "protected" indigestible carbs is fact or a gimmick and has anyone had any stalls because of it?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 10:33

Plan: Curves eating plan
Stats: 186/152/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm not sure if it's fact or gimmick, but I can tell you this...

Hubby and I tried it a few weeks ago. Just once. I had less than one serving and it bothered my stomach. I got sick afterward. Hubby had a bit more than 1 serving (perhaps close to 2) and ended up with serious stomach pain and was sick for 3 days!! Needless to say, we wont be trying it again. I had heard that it wont cause gastric distress like SAs do, but that doesn't seem to be accurate.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 22:45
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I know this post is very old, but I thought I would chime in anyway.

I'll start by saying that I have no idea how much weight I have lost, if any. I'll find out tomorrow at the doctor. Anyways, I'm diabetic (type II) and have to check my blood sugar all the time. I have been eating Dreamfields pasta at least three times a week for the past 4 weeks, and have not had any bad experiences, either intestinally or blood sugar wise. My 2 hour numbers are always where they were before eating, within 5 points either way. And... it's tastes just like regular pasta, not like some of the other low carb "pasta" I have tried.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 11:30

Plan: ****
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 25
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'm pre-diabetic and got the stuff to check my blood sugar. Dreamfields doesn't change my post-prandial numbers at all. Plus, it does not cause carb craving. I love having pasta again, but I only eat it once every few weeks or so. Maybe it should be reformulated so that we do crave it. They'd sell more!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

BBQman, do you check your BS after the 2 hour mark? I've heard reports that Dreamfields registers a spike a lot later- somewhere in the 6 hour realm.

From my own personal experience, 3 to 4 times a week consumption was not friendly to my waistline. Not friendly at all.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 18:39
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

scott123,

I'd say that I have checked after two hours, but only because it's usually time for the next meal. Some days I eat leftover beefy macaroni for all three meals of the day and I haven't had any elevated readings later in the day after eating it for breakfast. And I've still lost weight over the past month, even though I haven't been very strict.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 11:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I'm not diabetic but I eat it once every couple of weeks and have had no stalling. I only eat one serving but that's plenty for a meal. I love it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 16:58

Stats: 176/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I eat it once a week with no side effects or weight impact and it is delicious not like the awful soy stuff
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 04:50
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

It is a YMMV thing. For me it caused cravings, BS spikes, and belly pains. I can't do it. I do fix it for my family though and they have had no issues...

BTW type 2 under control w/ a carnivorous diet...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 06:40

Stats: 167/117/117 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amzippity
I'm not sure if it's fact or gimmick, but I can tell you this...

Hubby and I tried it a few weeks ago. Just once. I had less than one serving and it bothered my stomach. I got sick afterward. Hubby had a bit more than 1 serving (perhaps close to 2) and ended up with serious stomach pain and was sick for 3 days!! Needless to say, we wont be trying it again. I had heard that it wont cause gastric distress like SAs do, but that doesn't seem to be accurate.
It can cause gastric distress because it contains sugar alcohols. Sorbitol is listed in the ingredients.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 178/145/138 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Al Dente

I am also Prediabeteic (Syndrome X) Dreamfields doesn't bother me. There is a better tasting product though
that doesn't contain sorbitol it is from a "organic company"
Al Dente and they make a brand called "Carba Nada"
very, very good pasta.