Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 18:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/139/125
BF:
Progress:
Question newbie question - totally craving fat!?!?

Hey everyone! I'm a "virgin" lowcarber - I'll finish induction tomorrow! Whoo-hoo. And I have a question I hope y'all can help me with. Today I've been craving inordinantly large amounts of fat (for me, anyway). Like I've drunk/swilled a good 3 oz. of heavy cream (and totally felt like a junkie) and ate 3 slices of bacon AFTER my pretty generous giant dinner salad with cheese, roast beef and salad dressing. Any ideas as to the cause? Is this normal?

The only "oops" in my eating today happened at the grocery store. I took The Little Prince (ds) with me and was forced to eat 1 tiny square of one of Atkins chocolate bars 'cause he wanted to "share" it with me in the checkout line. He's three, what can you say? Sharing happens all too rarely at that age and I hate to squelch it! And it was yummy

Could the smidge of choc bar have done it? I feel fine now, I think. No more cravings for the moment. But that was WEIRD! Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 22:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a big fat-o-holic myself. Craving fat is a big improvement over craving carbs AND fat, ie chocolate, ice cream, chips, etc., which is where I used to be at!

Maybe your body's catching up after a couple of less-fat-than usual days?

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 18:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/139/125
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reassurance, Rachel! It is much better than craving a quart or two of Godiva ice cream. At least I'm full for a while when I'm done with my binge.

Until yesterday, I could never eat a "full" meal on the induction menu plan, i.e. instead of the three fried eggs and breakfast meat, I was only able to eat a poached egg and a piece of bacon or two. But I'm ravenous again today so I guess that means my metabolism has picked up. Or Aunt Flow is coming to visit.....

Thanks again!

Danielle
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%

In looking over previous posts, yours attracted my attention because its what I'm going through myself. I thought it was weird, but decided that so long as I'm not craving the carbs I'm much better off with the fat. Now I'm just trying to find a way to limit my intake of fats, particularly after I realized I ate 3 steaks, 5 sausages, and a whole chicken in the course of one day....with no fiber at all. However, since I'm still in the induction phase of Atkins, I'm not going to worry too much about it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 15:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Limiting fats

Tikerberi, you shouldnt be limiting your fats. A diet comprised solely of saturated fats isnt what you want either though. Fats should come from things like nuts, seeds, good oils like olive and flax. Are you eating vegetables? You should be getting 20g of carbs a day from green vegetables. This is also where your fiber should be coming from. It sounds like you're just eating meat? Have you read Dr Atkins book? If not it would be a good place to start. This WOE is not "no carbs", it is low carbs.

Nat