Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I will check that diet out to. I am new to low carb and am checking out all low carb diet plans right now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 22:47

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

CAD is a good plan. I have lost 5 pounds in two weeks. I try to have complex carbs with my reward meal. I combine CAD with IFing and usually only have one meal a day. I thoroughly enjoy eating like this and DO NOT FEEL DEPRIVED.

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Sat, May-17-08 at 22:55.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-08, 01:57

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's
Stats: 168/167/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I did carb addicts years ago, with great results. I'm going to try it again. The thing that I liked best about it was that I could have a normal meal with my family, without needing to do too much thinking. My kids always give me a hard time when I don't eat with them, so at least at one meal, I'm safe.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 11:52
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Renar- and everyone!-
come on over to the CAD/CALP area! We have lots of info, lots of threads and a daily thread. We love talking to anyone who is interested in CAD/CALP/CAHHP and wants to be part of this great plan!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 15:12

Plan: non processed food
Stats: 165/114/119 Female 5' 7.72 /1.72 m
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default The Carbohydrate Addict's Program for Success

With fascination I've only recently read the book of Rachel and Richard Heller, in which 2 complementary and 1 reward meal are allowed.

For me the only difficult time in the day is after diner. During those hours I mess up everything good I've done all day.

The Heller program also takes care of that by allowing me one full hour of indulging the food I like.

In this way I get slim and learn how to control myself at night.

In 10 days I've lost 4 kilo's (approx. 9 pounds). I haven't felt week, didn't have a headache and therefore I was able to briskly walk 7.2 km a day in one hour's time (in the park).

Aren't there any more people who have experience with this program?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 12:31

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

What do you do , eat two low carb meals and then one regular meal a day?
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 18:46

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo

This is how the majority of people will eat, yes.

It's not like eating Atkins twice a day, though. There are certain foods that are acceptable on Atkins but not on CAD CMs (complimentary meals)...and vice versa.

Most people start CAD with two CMs and one RM (reward meal) a day. If you find you're losing weight too quickly (every woman's or man's dream!), you should add one CS (complimentary snack). If you find you're losing too slowly--less than half a pound a week--you should eliminate one CM and have only one CM plus your RM each day.

The idea is to eat infrequently and to have any meals except for one be very carb-controlled, so that you control the frequency and way that your body releases insulin. There's more to it than I described, but that's the gist.

I personally eat one CM and one RM a day and am losing between a pound and a half and two pounds a week. I could probably eat just the RM, but I like eating; I like the experience of it. So I eat twice. My RM is very balanced. Some people will argue that the original books didn't put much emphasis on balancing, but every version of the book that I've ever read has had at least a mention of balancing. The idea of balancing is this: start with a salad or LC veggie. Then mentally separate your food into thirds: one-third low-carb veggie; one-third protein; and one-third carb.

I find that if I don't balance, that's when I get cravings, and who needs that? So I balance. Yum! I eat cake or cookies every single day. I also eat absolutely delicious fresh veggies every day. Believe it or not, though I truly enjoy my carb-y treats, they're not "the" golden ring to work toward grasping in my day or anything. I love my tuna salads and cucumbers too and I feel very happy digging right into those.

You won't find as many people here because the site itself does have the word "low carber" in it...hence, in a Google search, not as many CADders probably post here. However, I know of one CAD site where I can't even keep up with the posting. Google and you will find loads of forums...BUT stick around here, too...jump in on the Hour Power on the CAD forum...we would love to have you.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 03:51

Plan: non processed food
Stats: 165/114/119 Female 5' 7.72 /1.72 m
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo

Sorry for the late reply Sissy, I hadn't seen this entry because most of the time I am on the other thread (of CAD/CALP).

Usually I only eat one reward meal a day. When I feel really hungry I add one complementary meal, only consisting of one egg and a couple of slices of cucumber.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 14:03

Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I tried this approach while was on atkins years ago. I was board, and also stuck at the same weight. I thought that I had my eating under control and would do fine. OMG. I had not unlearned any of my old eating habits. I also lived for that reward meal. I thought of it all day, and when I fnally sat down to eat it I ate everything. Almost like the mindset of anything I could eat in an hour was fine. It was ot meant for someone like me that will binge. I remember eating the first meal and thinking omg, this is great. I feel so rewarded and happy..then with the next 50 min. I continued to eat anything in the house that I had denied myself for over a year. I quickly got totally out of control and ate like wild fire for weeks. I gained so much weight back. It was like as soon as I had that reward meal I felt like I could eat anything in that hour time, and then it carried over to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted. I was like a caged animal that was let loose. I scared myself to death.

I don't have enough self control for it.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-08, 20:40

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I don't do CAD but the next plan by the hellers that came after further research by them - CALP. I've previously lost over 70 lbs. with it, but as with all plans, nothing works if you don't do it

The key imo, for the RM is to follow the rules (no, I don't always either and that's when I can get into trouble)...salad first or double portion of a cm veggie, ****balance*** your rm is to be 1/3 cm veggie, 1/3 protein, 1/3 carb. I find eating towards my carbs does work best, and having that raw salad at the beginning does help me start to register that I am getting full before I'm at dessert thinking I'm really still hungry. The Hellers mention in CALP that the RM was never meant to be a one hour binge.

I can eat for emotional reasons, but the largest issue that CALP allows me to control, is family recipes at holiday times, or just wanting to be able to eat out. I may only have a tiny portion, but I don't have to say No to anything...though some things I don't find a small portion worth it, so I may deem it not carbworthy I've found what works best for me...i.e. if I have ice cream, I do best with a whole single serving container, or a whole snack bar size Hagen Daz...I like having "all" of something.

As of today, I am 1 day shy of 6 months back on plan, my daily weight for today was over 50 lbs. off (for today...I only list my averaged for the week weights in my stats), and it is going really well.
I can not honestly imagine eating any other way.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 07:43

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I tried CAD some years ago but found it didn't really address what I considered to be fundamental problems I have with carbs, mainly that they MAKE ME HUNGRY. I would eat the RM and then just OBSESS about food all the rest of the day. With regular LC, my cravings for carbs are just GONE and after a meal I just plain don't think about food again. That feeling of always being hungry for some unnamed "something" goes away with LC, but with CAD it was still ever-present, maybe because I was always focused on the RM.

just my 2 cents....
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-09, 08:43

Stats: 285/260/185 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey, I've been doing Atkins induction for a few months now, but have gone on and off as I had certain events and a couple of vacations planned. I know it's not great to go on and off, but I think it's better than doing nothing.

During a random conversation with a random person about carbs and LC dieting, I heard about the CAD. Does anyone know if it's possible to do the Atkins induction most of the time, and every once in a rare while (special occasion) have a "reward meal" without throwing yourself OUT of Ketosis?

I've heard the CAD authors do not agree with Ketosis, but my understanding is it's the best way to burn fat.

I've lost a decent amount of weight after doing this for 3+ months. Not sure how much cuz I didn't weigh myself when I started. I did weigh myself recently, so I'll be able to track weight loss from now on.

So does anyone know if I can grant myself the occasional reward meal (eaten within an hour) without having to restart the process of entering ketosis which may take a few days of low carb eating?

In the past, I've used the Ketone Test strips to see if my "cheats" put me out of ketosis, and according to the sticks I was still in ketosis. So I thought I had it made. Although now, I'm hearing that those test strips are unreliable.

Can anyone help me??
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-09, 08:47

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

well, i haven't been doing too well this time around. However, when I did very well on Atkins before, I found that I could cheat one day as long as I went back on it the next day. I usually didn't lose anything, but I didn't gain either and I would have no trouble getting back on it the next day.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 12:07

Stats: 285/260/185 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks quietone... that's what I was thinking, based on the ketone strips showing at least trace amounts of ketones. The weighing myself thing is kinda new. I just got my bloodwork back from my doc and he wants me to go back in a month to do it again. Have to drop as much weight as I can and improve some numbers, or go on meds... so I think I better stay on the straight and narrow, at least til then!!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 06:01

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

A month isn't much time for your numbers to imporve...you/he should give it 3-6 months I would think.