Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 12:31

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I just came back to my local GNC and by fluke i saw this brochure on Hoodia Gordonii...i ask the guy if he had any so i can read whats inside...he said he has never recieved yet but i do have a webpage on the brochure and yes i did see it but on 60minutes...so heres the webpage:

http://www.maxionnutrition.com/what4.html
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 12:34

BF:
Progress:

ahhhhhh got that interview from that webpage above...lol...here it is if your interested

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004...C-SearchStories
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

What brand(s) was GNC advertising? When I looked in my local (admittedly quite small) GNC, they didn't have any -- maybe they do now?

Thanks!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 13:05

BF:
Progress:

the brand they have or suppose to have is in that webpage i posted...have a look...there is a place not far from my house they sell it and its 200mg for 60caps...so if you take 2 per day one hour before each meal at 40$ a bottle it is expensive at the end...good for maybe only 1month...so is it really worth it...i dont know...dont know even if it works cause there is so much junk out there that promises you all sort of weight lost and just to find out they are all crap...im not saying this one is crap but not enough surveys done on it so far for weight lost....loads of vitamins too are not that great either and they all swear by them...only thing i can say for now is watch what you eat and exercise cause there is no miracle out there that makes you lose weight in a flash unless you live near silicon valley and have tons of money to waste and them doctors sure lives in massive homes and drives all nice cars with the despreate women wanting to be perfect without doing the effort...
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 14:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 271/269/165 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default hoodia response

Hi,

here is an email response from www.hoodia.com

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry and your order!

Your product was shipped at the end of last week.

In many cases, the Post Office does not update scans until the package
arrives at the destination post office.

With the holiday, your package should arrive either tomorrow or Friday.

Thank you again,

Hoodia.com Customer Service

I don't think its the same as the canadian site, but I also don't know what they're talking about, as it doesn't take the post office ten days to deliver a priority package. Also, the order was after Christmas. I feel really stoooopid, buying from someone without a telephone listing

Michelle
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 14:27

yeh, I'm beginning to feel like I've been taken -- hopefully, I'll eventually get something

So far today, I've had absolutely no response (I asked for my order to be re-shipped). I can understand a backorder, but not that the post office is super slow, the holidays are screwing everything up, that my order has finally shipped, etc., etc. Particularly now that others of us are having similar experiences (I have a strong suspicion it's all inter-connected.....).

I can't understand what they think they have to gain -- I am hoping that my order eventually arrives -- it looks like an established supplement location....

Oh well, wait and see -- what else can I do at this point!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 19:00

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Sorry to hear that your order is taking so long. I bought mine from
this company . This comany said that I would recieve my order within 3-5 buisness days. They gave a tracking number, but it did not offer any info about its shipping status other than the post office was notified about the shipment. I was worried that I was going to suffer the same fate that you did. It came in the regular mail and I recieved it in three days (they're in CA and I'm in OR). I give the company two thumbs up!

I have been taking it for three days now and therre has been a decrease in my appatite. From what I am reading it will take full affect several days into taking it. So far I am pleased. There has been no adverse affects except a slight headache, but that could be due to caffien withdrawl.

Last edited by Bandito : Wed, Jan-05-05 at 19:08.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 19:56
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM
I just ordered a bottle from www.iHerb.com:

Hoodia Extract ( Hoodia SN-1875 Gordonii 20:1 ), Source Naturals, 250 mg, 60 Tabs -- $17.00

I am absolutely sure of this place, we get all our supplements through them (they're fast and inexpensive, no shipping charges for >$20 order, etc.).

I was hoping that the other stuff was out of Canada, and might be the real thing -- but I've not had reason to complain about any of the Source Natural products, so....

Michelle, how is yours working? Do you still see any appetite suppresion? Etc.? Etc.?

Thanks!
Bonnie, that price seems too low to be pure hoodia. Do you get a look at the ingredients list?

Here's a site that lists the Top 10 Tip-Offs You're Buying the Wrong Hoodia Product.

The Canadian site I used has a toll free number which I called to place my order via credit card. I think there's been a supply problem from what I gather ever since the 60 minutes segment aired. At least I can get my money back if I don't get my order. Unfortunately that doesn't happen with PayPal.

Wanda
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 09:42

BF:
Default Hoodia, et al

Wanda,

The stuff I'm still taking is also "source naturals" and was 22.95 for 60 caps of 250 mg. The $17 price sounds more legitimate, as its just under half the dosage of the others and is to be taken 2 at a time. My health food store is the only game in town and super high priced whenever they can be. IF the new stuff ever comes in, that source is really cheaper than anything I've seen posted and I'll relay the website again.... once more i say IF IT COMES IN!

It seems to still be working, but I've gained around 5-6 pounds this holiday season, before taking the hoodia, and the "cold" turn here means less running around, but I'm still hitting Curves for a workout.

I really hope the other stuff gets here as I want the hoodia to help keep my appetite down on the cruise where all that stuff is constantly available.

Bonnie, did around 20 of the breathing "lifelifts" yesterday, and will keep trying to work my way up...just feel like I'm getting into hyperventilating pretty easy - I had to unsubscribe from the Yahoo list as the volume of mail is too great for me - spent years and dropped lots of email accounts trying to get my spam/mail under control. I've always preferred one on one emails to the lists as they really do bog your box down with many repeated messages just to send a "great" message to someone who's posted.

As for the HOODIA - well, there seems to be no adverse effects, no nervousness or anything else.

I've also just added glucomannan to my supplements list, and will be trying to add some Alpha lipoic acid as soon as I can figure out how to remember what to take when!

Good luck all.... type to ya later!

Michelle
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 09:53
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%

I have been taking this kind
http://www.hoodia-dietpills.com/fortified_hoodia.htm
for about 9 months and I love it! I have had problems receiving it, however and when I have contacted them they say that sometimes it is hard to get and the orders get backlogged. That said, I have never NOT gotten an order, sometimes it has been delayed. The last 2 orders came within 5 days. It says to take 2 pills before every meal, but I find I can get by with using it once or twice a day so it lasts longer which is good because it is $$. I have tried a couple of other ones (including the ones you guys have linked to), but this is the best. Good luck!
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 10:05

BF:
Default Hoodia, et al

Bonnie,

Yes the product is still working, and I'm taking 2 pills only one or two times a day. The Source Naturals product seems quite good.

I normally shop at Vitamin Shoppe and have for years, and I'll have to check their prices on the hoodia and get back to you. I'm so glad they now opened in texas...means I can actually pick up the stuff instead of just having it shipped.

Just shoved a large teaspoon of coconut oil into my coffee. It could be worse, but I still can't see how I'll get 3 Tbs into me each day So far, the "mounds" were a bust, but I like sauteeing water chestnuts and frozen bell peppers and onions with garlic into the oil, with a dash of teriyaki seasoning- then adding some of the dried coconut for a minute or two when its nearly done. Even my husband liked it.

Michelle

j
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 15:56

Well, I still haven't gotten my order ... but I did get an answer back from the company that they will reship it -- and they expect that I'll get the reshipment and my first order at the same time....we'll see....

Michelle, regarding coconut oil -- I really can't stand adding it to my coffee -- try adding it to some sugar-free cocoa, that's really good! Also, brown your meats in it, it works really well, doesn't burn and adds no discernible flavor. It works nicely in curries (I also add coconut cream to these recipes).

My favorite way is to add it to my morning cereal (Atkins low-carb stuff) -- I put frozen blackberries, coconut oil, whole flaxseed, walnuts, and some water in a grabit -- nuke for 2 minutes, then add cereal and Hood's milk, and nuke for another minute. I really like this stuff! And I figure it's 8.0 ECC, 31g protein, and 450 calories -- not bad for a breakfast meal. If I get to worrying about calories, I cut back on the walnuts.... this keeps me comfortably full for a good long time, and is such a welcome change from eggs!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 16:31

BF:
Progress:

Mishugenah you shoved a large teaspoon of coconut oil into your coffee???? OMG i guess your not a coffee fan...LOL...why dont you melt it down and put it in salads...or in veggies...or in a shake...but not coffee..i will never look at my cappicinno like i use to now that i know someone puts coconut oil in coffee...lol...i am so fussy with my coffee...i grained my nice dark 3blend strong espresso beans everyday and enjoy my cup in the mornings...i dont even drink coffee from a filter manchine...thats how fussy i am...my coffee is like my wine...got to be the best...thats why when i read you put coconut oil in your coffee i i i i i dont know...now i need a shrink to get rid of the image in my head oil floating in the cup...LOL...im just kidding...you can put it where you want but plz consider in salads or a shake...
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 08:12

BF:
Default Hoodia, coconut oil, etc

Hi Lonnie,

Just think of tropical coffee I am a coffee drinker who grinds her own beans, and will soon start roasting them too! It wasn't the worst thing I'd ever tasted, but its not as good as my coffee, au naturel' - then again, it was only one cup!

Still no receipt of the hoodia and - I'm in tech hell! My phone went out 4 days ago, and yesterday the puter I use all the time died on me. Can someone explain to me why SBC can't fix problems on outside telephone lines for 5 days? I'm the "shoemaker's child' - walking around barefoot. My husband, the professional computer genius, had to relegate himself to blogging on my old heap of a puter last night instead of the server big enough for a corporation we usually use. Just waiting for the cable to blow and we'll have a triple whammy!

I think the hoodia "might" be working, but yesterday, I ate NOTHING but that coffee till around 3:30 in the afternoon, was too busy to stop, and wound up pigging out on anything in site I REALLY REALLY hate days like that! Hoodia or no hoodia, its not going to stop totally bouts of cravings if you don't eat regularly.

Michelle
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 08:18

BF:
Default Hoodia, coconut oil, etc

Lanny! sorry I got your name wrong!

Bonnie, I'd love the cocoa, but I'm afraid it will stir cravings a little more for me....I'm in the middle of a "post holiday" fragile time!

The morning cereal sounds great...but I'm afraid I'm floundering right now. Might go on a "fat fast" for a day or two ala atkins to get myself "back on track". I really need to be strong BEFORE the cruise.

Might even try the hoodia 3 times today, as recommended on the bottle.

Michelle