Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 12:53

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've been able to use or modify recipes from
http://www.justcrockpotrecipes.com/ and http://www.crock-pot-recipes.info/ and pull off good meals. I'm also not one to feel comfortable leaving my oven on all day while I'm gone. My MIL will go to church on Sunday mornings with something in the oven AND on the stove top!!!

I make mostly poultry or short ribs or dry rub ribs in the crockpot. There is a new Hamilton Beach crockpot (I think) that converts to three different crock sizes depending on the size of the meal. I also make chili and soups in the crockpot - you can get a good simmer going on "high". I almost never use it for red meat (except beef short ribs). That's why I also have a good roasting pan. Ya gotta have gadgets...Cheers!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartersg1
There is a new Hamilton Beach crockpot (I think) that converts to three different crock sizes depending on the size of the meal.

Lord, I saw one of those at Walmart before xmas! I told Mark, "I WANT ONE OF THOSE!" He looked at me funny and I sadly said, "OK, OK, I know I don't use a crock-pot...nevermind." It just looked so wonderful.

I have mostly tried the stew-y stuff and the stuff with the soups on it. It just comes out...I don't know *different* than if you cooked the same thing in the oven or on the stove-top. Especially something that called for the soups...we have recipe for a chuck roast with cream of mushroom soup/onion soup on it. It's DH's favorite meal. It's baked in a covered pan in the oven, but when I made it the crock-pot he wouldn't touch it. And it didn't look right and it didn't taste right.

You've got me DYING to bake a chicken or some ribs in there, however.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 09:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
I guess I must be doing something wrong...most of the crock-pot stuff I make comes out kinda yucky (like it "steams" instead of "bakes") and my family will not touch it. (I do have a recipe for a dijon-rosemary coated beef chuck roast that is really REALLY good, but no one will eat it but me!)

But I have never tried to "bake" a chicken or roast in the crock pot without any liquid added. That I do need to try. And I will definitely brown it first. White skin is pretty gross to me!

With beef--brown first, minimal liquid

Poultry--throw in, minimal (1-2TBS liquid) liquid

I just pulled out some--dark roasty turkey legs that I cooked over night.

Lisa
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Elle, you are not alone. I despise nearly all foods from crockpots, no matter what tricks are used. Meats tend to overcook, veggies have an off texture, flavors are bland due to long cooking times.

Chicken is the worst. I have done beef brisket with a little mexican seasoning on it, and pork for pulled pork -- works if you add a few drops of liquid smoke -- but most of the time crockpot food is something I can't choke down.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 14:59

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

My DH also loathes crock pot food. I've been working to understand why and I've come up with a few guidelines.

1. Browning considerably improves both taste *and* texture. Its become worth the time to brown everything before putting it in the pot.
2. Its very, very easy to overcook things in modern cps. Mine will let you cook on high for 4 or 6 hours, or low for 8 or 10 hours, but what I really need to be able to do is cook on low for 3-4 hours. So I just turn it off when things are done.

I guess that takes away some of the easy convenience, but it does let me cook huge pots of seasoned protein all at once so I'll have plenty of leftovers. And I am willing to run the cp over night, or when I'm out, which I'm not willing to do with my gas stove and oven. Plus, things aren't likely to dry out and they don't really need to be stirred or turned.

I'm planning to see if it will work as a stock pot next. Its very big.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 15:22

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

there are now programmable ones, so it's not on high too long.

One yummy thing is pork roast in the pot... dump in a can of tomatoes (nothing but the tomatoes if you can find them) and some pineapple davinci. mmmmmmmmm
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I'm from SC...we brown most everything (maybe not a whole chicken) before it's gets roasted or braised!

I'm encouraged, however, about the roasting meats. I'm home all day, so I can easily turn it off/take it out when it gets done. When I try baking a whole chx, however, I'm definitely going brown it as best I can first!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 17:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/198.7/160 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

My dh loves my roast in a crock pot. Great for pulled pork also. I don't make any chicken in it because to me chicken cooks too fast anyway to bother with a crockpot. However, the roast is awesome. I spice it up and don't put in any liquid and it comes out great. I have only made one or two things in the crockpot that I have regreted.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-08, 23:00

Plan: ????
Stats: 288/276.5/150 Female 65 inches
BF:Um, Duh!!!
Progress: 8%

I LOVE my crockpot!!! I use it a couple of times a week at least! I made lc chili in it yesterday and DH said it was the best I've ever made! I was hoping for leftovers, but thanks to DH there wasn't any! I have a lc slow cooker cookbook and I've tried several of the recipes and they have all been great!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 03:03
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 195/187/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I just bought a crock pot and I'm experimenting with different meats.

I'd like to know which low carb crock pot recipe book you purchased because trying this without recipes has been disasterous so far. My chicken was bland, it tasted boiled. i dont think i'll try chicken again.

I'd love a good chili recipe thats ok for induction....
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 03:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

The crockpot is the best thing ever for cheap cuts of meat, and low-hassle cooking.

I buy pot roasts, chuck roasts, butts, shoulders, or whatever is on sale for $1.99 per pound, and set in the crock overnite or in the morning, and a few hours later, not only does the house smell great, there lay a couple meals all ready!

Just season the meat to taste, usually just salt, pepper, maybe some garlic powder and some chili flakes, and let it cook - slow and low!

Yum!

Some lettuce wraps for some low carb tacos - oh, man, I'm getting hungry!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 13:58

Plan: ????
Stats: 288/276.5/150 Female 65 inches
BF:Um, Duh!!!
Progress: 8%

The chili recipe I used is in my journal...along with the title of the book I have!

Enjoy!!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 20:29

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm making brats and kraut in the crock pot tomorrow. It's good for items that go together and need a little simmering time together to make it all good AND you don't want to babysit your food. Add a tablespoon of brown Sugar Twin and some onion...yummy to me. It's my version of comfort food. DH isn't so sure. I've never made it for him (in almost 10 years of marriage) so this will be a treat. He's not a fan of sauerkraut but I think he'll eat this version. It's that or get into the kitchen yourself. Cheers!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 08:30

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartersg1
I've been able to use or modify recipes from
http://www.justcrockpotrecipes.com/ and http://www.crock-pot-recipes.info/ and pull off good meals.

Looks like justcrockpotrecipes.com is no more -- or they forgot to renew their domain name, at least. The second site seems to still be in business.

And here's another link to the Crockpot recipes from the Sticky here on lowcarber.org (since I'm bumping this thread anyway).

And here's a post by Orionsdale with crock pot chicken cooking tips.

Last edited by 1000times : Mon, Aug-04-08 at 08:56.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 15:46
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I really love my crockpot for roasts. Like tmatrocks mentioned, I wait for big chunks o'beef to go on sale. Then i rub it with olive oil and put it in my crockpot with no liquid. Add my favorite seasoning (usually a little onion soup dry mix and garlic pepper) and put it on low for 5 or 6 hours.
It comes out tender, brown and delicious.

I agree with not so much liking any of the crockpot recipes I've tried that have liquid, stews, sauces and such. Some have been good, but I'm never left thinking "gotta make this again".

But roasted beef.....Mmm mmm.