Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 03:50

Plan: Atkins(maintenance)
Stats: 154/128/128 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have just put in a rolled joint of belly pork. Browned and seasoned it first, put it in on Low and hope to eat in about 7 hours. First time I have tried a whole joint in the slow cooker apart from a whole chicken.

I'll let you know later how it turns out.

Nic
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 09:42

Plan: Atkins(maintenance)
Stats: 154/128/128 Female 67 inches
BF:

Wow, the pork was great, tasted lovely. Only problem was it was difficult to slice as it was so soft. Next time I'll do it for just 6 hours.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 198/168/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Crockpot Turkey Breast!!!

I Love To Take A Turkey Breast, Fill The Cavity With A Small Onion And A Chopped Up Stick Of Celery, Salt And Pepper Inside And Out And Place The Turkey Breast Side Down In Your Crock On Low For 7-8 Hrs For A 6 Or 7lb Turkey Breast! It's Moist And Tasty....all You Need Is A Quick Green Bean Stir Fry Or Other Veggie To Go With It After A Long Day At Work....and You Should Have Some Leftovers To Eat On Later! I Tell A Lot Of My Friends And Family About This....and They Are Like...youre Kidding ! I Never Thought About A Turkey!!! Its Much Tastier Than Chicken, To Me, And Easy!!!!!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 20:04

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I enjoy using my crockpot too...allrecipe.com has some great recipes... I recently tried a pork chop recipe that my dd loved... My favorite dish is cabbage and smoked sausage....just throw it all in and cook on low...

TJ
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 09:23

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:
Default I was in heaven!

Keep in mind that whatever you cook in the crock pot will make its own juices so if your one of those people that thinks you need to add water or cover your meat with liquid, you don’t. I used to think that too. That seems to be when it comes out mushy or tasteless because all the flavor will go into the liquid/water during cooking.

However if you cook things pretty dry they make their own juice and then it’s delicious.

I had the bone from a Honey Baked Ham in my freezer since Easter. I was on a low fat diet from April until just recently so it just sat there staring at me for months, peeking out from behind it's golden wrapper.

Yesterday I pulled that sucker out. I put onions, Italian green beans, a bit of water (1/4 cup) in the bottom of a crock pot and but that big frozen bone on top. I really didn’t think it had that much meat on it.

When I got home and took the lid off the whole thing was still in one piece and it was all black. Kind of looked scary. I took a fork and slowly approached it, then gave it a poke. All the meat fell right off the bone and this amazing aroma wafted below my nose.

I tried not to drool into the pot as I picked the big bones out and gave it stir. I took a bite and it was so good that I started eating it right out of the hot crock! I live alone so I can do that! It was to die for! I kept thinking...Man this would be good with a cornbread waffle.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 09:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbflower
... seems to be when it comes out mushy or tasteless because all the flavor will go into the liquid/water during cooking.

However if you cook things pretty dry they make their own juice and then it’s delicious.
That's why I often bake pork belly in the oven then brown it on broil-- it takes about 45min at 350 but you can cook it slower. I save the lard for cooking eggs
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 09:45

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:

I haven’t gotten bored enough to eat pork bellies yet!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 14:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbflower
I haven’t gotten bored enough to eat pork bellies yet!

What, you don't eat bacon? Poor baby

#39   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 06:27

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 211/200/140 Female 5 feet three inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I like to throw in chicken breast, a jar of low carb salsa, and cook it until it shreds ( I usually do low for 7-8 hours ). Then I shred it and eat it opped with sou cream and cheese. Mexi-chicken!

Beef stew...use stew beef, turnips, whatever you want for veggies ( I like celery and onions )

I'll also throw in a cheap pork brisket or pork butt ( whatever is on sale ) with a bottle of low carb BBQ sauce for pulled pork. You can do it with just seasonings as well, and not use the BBQ, or just keep the BBQ on the side, depends on your liking.

OMG! This all sounds so good right now! We are in the middle of moving so have a couple of nights left in our "Extended Stay Hotel" - my crock pot is packed, and I am not bothering to cook these next few days........but as soon as I get into the new house, I am going to make all three of these recipes!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 07:04

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Great idea Ceddiana.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 07:12

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

There's a recipe here for mexican cabbage beef soup.. and all I can say is YUMMY!!!!!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 20:11

Plan: Low Carb, IF
Stats: 160/141/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 95%

can someone post a lc chili crockpot recipe?
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 20:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie2MeJL
can someone post a lc chili crockpot recipe?

You'll find links to several crockpot chilli recipes here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=219464
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 20:56

Plan: Low Carb, IF
Stats: 160/141/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 95%

Thank you! I appreciate it.