Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 11:39

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Yes, born and raised a Virginian by West Virginian Parents. I love my state...a lot to offer from mountains to the sea. I'm most fond of where I live in the Piedmont. Lived in Northern Virginia the fist half of my life. We also have relatives in neighboring NC.

I am moving our conversation from my Lavash pizza thread to here because its way off topic for that thread and you have now created this thread which can be a catch all conversation about your recipes and more appropriate.

For those interested, Peggy and I have been conversing about various recipes and ideas over here on my Lavash Bread Pizza thread. You can catch up to our conversation there

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...65&page=2&pp=15

Below is the continuation of the most recent conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
Oh, my, I had completely forgotten about that flax-meal recipe for pepper crackers when I mentioned Black Pepper Crackers. One of my earliest cracker experiments, that one. And I did use less pepper in that first batch I created to find out how much I liked in them.

The recipe I linked above is made with almond meal and arrowroot powder and is much crispier. You really ought to try this one. They are sheer cracker Nirvana! https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/...wroot-crackers/ Quite crisp, too! These are so good, I've honestly never made the older recipe since I developed this recipe! I'd remove the old recipe from my site, but some still like that one, as they are seeking the various health benefits of the greater amount of flax meal. I like the texture of this recipe (linked herein) better than any of my others or any recipes of others I've tried to date. These are good eaten alone, topped with butter or used as dippers (provided the dip isn't too stiff). Give these a whirl some time. You'll LOVE the black pepper taste in them. You might even like more, but 3 tsp. was too much the time I tried that much.

Thanks Peggy,

I'll give that recipe a shot as well. I'm just about to order from Netrition, so its a good time to get the arrowroot.

I assume this is the product?

https://www2.netrition.com/cgi/advanced_search.cgi

The arrowroot starch is about the same carbs as cornstarch. What is the purpose of the arrowroot starch? Does it provide something specific for the baking process?

One thing is, the newer better recipe is about 5 times the net carbs if the cracker portion is relative to each other (.2 grams vs .93 grams). You dont provide the macros in a weight, so the best thing to do is to calculate one's own values based on the ingredients, weigh the recipe AFTER baking, then divide the total recipe net carbs by the weight in ounces or grams and multiply the per gram weight by a reasonable serving size of 30 grams (nut thins, cheese wisps and other snack crackers use something in this range). I just did that with the old recipe crackers and its a good portion size. Some crackers use 5 crackers or 16 grams...who is going to stop at 5 butter crackers?! One could stop at 5 of these old recipe black pepper crackers though, they carry a good fiber load and are dense, but still biteable.

Also, by the way, the fried chicken breader did not work as well as a baking coating (If you hadn't already tried that). It wasn't all that good with zucchini sticks, but was not bad with a boneless chicken breast, cut in half and lightly pounded out. The coating gave it a really interesting "thing" but not crunchy and seems to hold the moisture in the chicken breast well. Mine were cooked perfectly, but I also always try to cook to internal temp with breasts, stopping the cook as soon after they reach 165 as possible...the key to not overcooking and making a dry breast portion

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Tue, Jul-31-18 at 11:49.