Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 06:00

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals ~ Tuesday, November 11

Morning! It's Veterans' Day, so I have the day off. DH and I were supposed to do some shopping in a nearby outlet center and have a nice lunch, but he has to work at the last minute. Life of a consultant. You can never make plans. So maybe I'll go alone, just for the change of scenery.

Marjorie, the transition from Level I to Level II would probably go the same way. 10-gram jumps a day, and stay there for 5 to 7 days. If your goal is 125, 20% of that is 25 pounds. So, if you're at 138 now, you're within 20%. According to the book, you should go to maintenance when you're within 5% of your goal (125 x 5% = 6.25 pounds), which is around 132 pounds. You're very close.

My goal is around 150, so I should start moving to maintenance around 157 pounds. I'm not sure I'll do that, though. Other than the 10 pounds I lost in October, the pounds are coming off like molasses. I gained back a couple pounds in water, so that should be going away again in a day or two. I'll probably start increasing the carbs a little around 155, but keeping the fat and calories very low. Right now I'm enjoying eating primarily protein and keeping the calories around 1100. I like not feeling hungry all the time.

Hey, how come no one even groaned at my sorry attempt at humor (Chicken a la Orang)? I thought it was pretty darn clever!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 07:02

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

I LOVED Chicken a la Orang, laughed out loud in my cubicle,people probably thought I was crazier than usual.

Still hanging in there on plan. Wound up leaving work 2 hrs early yesterday as I really didn't feel good. This AM I am back at work but sneezing a little.

Sounds like Wendy and Marnie are doing well, kudos to both of you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 07:35

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Yesterday was another tiring, but great day. I walked 1.4 miles last night (had planned to do 4.2 miles) - but had to get out the O2- think I'm coming down with an infection in my lungs

As for my WOE - I am still grazing between breakfast and dinner - I am holding steady but not losing right now, but considering all the eating out and such lately - this is a good thing. I'm having real difficulties getting a viable plan for my new restrictions in place - I have eliminated egg yolks and beef from my diet altogether now and getting a menu I can honestly live with isn't coming easy.

Glad y'all enjoyed my chicken dance
BTW, Bawdy I was ROTFLMAO re: the Chicken a la Orang comment

This week was going to be less hectic, but I found out yesterday I will be busy. There are some major changes going on in my son's life - mostly not good changes. He will need a lot of help with these changes... Next weekend I am going to my step-daughter's play Friday night, driving to my mom's and taking her to her sister's 50th wedding anniversary Sat and then coming home (this is going to be about 400 miles driving for that day ) and I'm supposed to be doing something at church on Sunday, but I'm looking hard for a substitute.

Now for the really good news: The cardiologist that evaluated the MRI called last night - he says the scar tissue is only adhered to the artery and heart in a couple of small places and they will be able to safely remove it using a bandaid procedure! This will likely be done sometime next week - I will keep you posted.

Bawdy:
You mention feeling thinner - bet you are getting ready to whoosh again. My fat is getting jiggly on my belly so maybe I will see some results on the tape measure this Friday - all the walking and hiking likely means I won't see movement on the scale.

What are you doing in the way of exercise these days?

Hope you enjoy the retail therapy

Elaine (ewinpa):
Sounds like you are losing if the clothes are feeling looser.

Glad you are feeling a bit better today - take care of yourself. I know it is cold, wet and miserable up there right now - at least, that's what the weather channel says.

Lisette:
Glad to hear it has warmed up some there. You said the "s" word - 'snow' is considered a four letter word worthy of having ones mouth washed out with soap here

Wow, I didn't know calves would come when they were called. I'll bet that is really cute. How big are they now?

Marjorie (marnie):

Outstanding Achievement Award
to

Marjorie
for the loss of 50 lbs !!!

Re: the transition question: I took hubby's carbs up about 5 gms every three days to 55 to 60 gms when he got within ten pounds of his goal. Since he reached goal, I increased his carbs 5 gms every three days - His weight has stablized with him eating 95 to 110 gms of carb per day - fairly evenly divided thru-out the day. We are finding that not all carbs are created equal - he does not do well at all with certain carbs - rice and potatoes make him retain water and feel awful. So does corn starch, but not corn or corn meal???

Robin:
Missed you yesterday. Hope you were out having a great time.

RobNJ:
We have a notable lack of yeti input - don't make me have to find a new tattoo'ed man....

Seriously, how are you doing with the WOE, loss and life in general?

Wendy:
Sounds like you've stumbled into a relationship. I'm very happy for you. You are a wonderful young woman and you deserve to have someone you are comfortable with and who feels the same about you - big grin + a warm hug.

Now about that weight loss:

Your progress has been amazing.

Last edited by Orang : Tue, Nov-11-03 at 07:51.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:56

BF:

Orang, it's going to rain here but it's around 50 degrees.
I am so happy that you will not need the more invasive procedure.

For lunch, I took a can of broth, some diced chicken and brocolli, heated them with cream and then pureed the whole thing in the blender -voila, lowcarb penicillin!! It tastes good even if it looks like Cream Of Mystery I also brought salad, an apple and an ounce of cheese. Breakfast was an egg, 2 whites and a slice of lc bread. AM snack was a lc bagel with pb. PM snack will be a protein shake.

A friend at work said I was looking slimmer to her, so I guess some of the bloat is gone but no real progress on the scale and I tried on a pair of pants that fit this time last year and they still don't, so I have some work ahead of me. Feeling lousy and not being able to workout hard is not helping either. If I stop sneezing long enough, I may try my Tai Chi tape today. You use a weighted ball with it (it's an upper body workout) and I just use the one from my WATP kit.

Our local TV station did a feature on the "Low Carb Craze" (oh brother) but at least they put out some local resources and restaurants serving low carb fare, so it was at least informative.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 11:15

BF:

I have Mastercook which I use to save recipes I collect from the internet. If anyone's interested, this place sells the cd "free" and just charges 7.50 for shipping/handling.
http://www.free-cdsoftware.com/sku-...t0206jmIZ1AJcqb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 14:24

BF:

Followup to our local news story on low carb. Some fellow is opening a low carb store right next to the bank branch that I use near work! Don't know how cheap he will be but it's great to know there's a resource so close. Trader Joes is also around a ten minute drive, so I have no excuses, ladies and Yeti.
http://www.richardslowcarbcenter.com/
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:13

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Orang, I am soooooo happy the MRI turned out the way it did. All of our positive thoughts were with you. Isn't it interesting, too, that by reducing the protein helped you in your unique situation. Just goes to show that everyone is different and we absolutely need to listen to our own bodies.

Where's Wendy today? Oh, I see her! She's over there on Cloud 9!

Just teasing you, Wendy. We are all just so pleased that you found a kindred spirit. It's hard meeting people these days (I hear), and it sounds like you've lucked into a winner.

So, Marjorie, to what do you attribute your success? I know you were doing the KISS plan for quite a while there. Think that was it? Did you do it "by the book"? I think I would have trouble with the dairy thing. On the other hand, it's certainly worth a try.

Orang, you asked what I've been doing for exercise lately. Ummmmm. Pushing 50? Raising my voice? Stretching the truth?Exercising my free will? Jumping to conclusions? 4-ounce bicep curls (Irish whiskey)?

Elaine, ya, I love "the low-carb craze." The new "fad." Sheesh. Trouble is, all the food manufacturers are now jumping on the bandwagon and it's no more going to solve America's obesity problem than when they made all the low-fat products.

By the way, my retail therapy went very well. DH bought me the most wonderful necklace for our 25th. Ummm. Well. He wasn't actually there, but I felt his presence with me as I said "Wrap it up." Just like he always feels my presence when he's at Home Depot drooling over the next cool tool.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 18:19

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Orang- I am so happy to hear good news! I was really praying for you.

Not feeling very well the past few days My allergies are acting up and triggering some bouts of vertigo along with a headache that won't go away. Not a bad one but a dull consistent ache behind my eyes.

Happy Veteran's Day!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 19:27
Registered Member

Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Good evening folks,
Well, I finally made it on here. Every time I tried, I'd get error messages. Very frustrating. Finally rebooted the computer. Still got error message. Then tried again, and here I am.
Renee, I am so happy and relieved for you. That was just wonderful news!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions concerning moving from Stage 1 to Stage 2. When the time arrives, I'll probably be looking for suggestions as to what to add to my diet. I am currently very comfortable with what I'm eating and there's nothing that I'm desperately hankering to add. I may branch out into some slightly carbier veggies such as winter squash, beets and brussels sprouts. But those certainly wouldn't be every day things. Then there's the matter of bread. Our local bulk food store just started carrying Keto bread mixes. For the fantastic price of $8.99. I don't think so! I was looking at the grocery store yesterday and found a regular bread at 7.5 gm. of carb per slice. Most were about twice that. There's another store I want to try as I heard there was one there that wasn't too high. But bread isn't something I'm really missing in my WOE.
Kathy, I really don't know what to attribute my success to other than consistent determination to get this weight off. I simply don't cheat. It's not an option. I was on KISS twice. Once for about 6 days and once for 12 days. The last time I was very strict with it and lost 6 lb. That was shortly before we left for Vegas. I was going to go back on this week if I hadn't lost on Sun. But I didn't have to. I wouldn't stay on it long term as the no dairy and no fruit would drive me nuts. I found I got constipated on it so if I did it again would allow ground flax seed.
More fruit is something else I could add to my WOE, but I'm eating fruit twice a day now. A raspberry/blueberry/blackberry mix at noon and strawberries that I froze for supper. And this time of year there's not a lot of good fruits available here. Lots of apples but they are fairly carby. And bananas are right out. Maybe half a tangerine or something.
Anyway, I'm rambling.
Wendy, have fun. We're enjoying your new friendship vicariously.
Marjorie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 20:44

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just a quick Hello this evening.

Glad to hear the good news about your mri Orang!!

I will write more tommorow!

Hi to Marjorie, Wendy,Kathy,Elaine,Ellie,Rob, Robin,Kristine, Rebecca, and anyone else here!! Have a good evening!!!

Last edited by Lissette : Tue, Nov-11-03 at 20:46.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 22:02

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Hi all

I don't know what happened to this board/site.... I have not been able to access it for days!! Anyways, finally got here

Things are going fine. One thing I noticed tonite when I was talking to a friend online - he was doing his normal eat/drink maalox routine....and I just realized I have not had heartburn since starting PP!! Is this a positive side effect of LCing? If so, I am happy

Robin