Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 22:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Does less carbs always = more weight loss?

Basically I'm asking this because I would hate to eat the current 5 carbs a day I'm doing if i'll lose just as much eatin 20-25. I removed the diet soda, sugar free bbq sauce, and cheddar cheese(would eat as much as i wanted and it didnt stop me from losing weight)

I'm guessing if my goal was ketosis and not weight loss then less carbs would be better but i'm only doing this strictly for fat loss. So with that being said it really isn't necessary to go super low in carbs because less isn't more? Or would it be correct to assume eating 5 carbs compared to 25 would cause more weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 08:44

Plan: Atkins-keto-IF
Stats: 318.6/235/195 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

The difference between 5 grams and 25 grams of carbs is 100 calories. It's not going to make much difference.

For me personally 25 grams of carbs wouldn't even come close to taking me out of ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 09:09

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
I'm guessing if my goal was ketosis and not weight loss then less carbs would be better

Probably.

Quote:
but i'm only doing this strictly for fat loss. So with that being said it really isn't necessary to go super low in carbs because less isn't more?

Please restate. I don't understand the question here.

Quote:
Or would it be correct to assume eating 5 carbs compared to 25 would cause more weight loss?

Everything else being equal and if you lived in a test tube; Yes.

====

From your first couple of sentences I gather that you want to eat more carbs and still loose weight. If you follow a plan, like Atkins, there is a structured and sort of proven way to do this I think; Adding carbs back and still losing or maintaining your weight. I don't follow this but the theory sounds good and there's plenty of people on this site that have followed. Go check out this thread here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...100#post9289100

I wish you well!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 09:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

FOr some people, as I read about their LC journey, a very los carb level like 5 will stall progress, wereas 20-25, gets the ball rolling.

IMO vegetables have a valuable place in our diets. Might be better to think about total health as well as weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 13:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No, I have read of people going on extended fasts... carbs, calories and everything zero, and they do not lose scale weight.

Our bodies are amazing but they are not "machines". Your metabolic functions are quite different from mine and everyone else on this forum. Your age, length of time you were obese, genetic predisposition to body shape, activity now, etc. You have been on this forum for two years now and you appear to be very successful and healthy...a 6 foot, 211 pound muscular guy. A goal of a 21 BMI seems unrealistic whether you are eating 5 or 25g carbs. Severe calorie restriction might get you there...but Why? Especially when you have asked many questions mostly in various forms of how can you add back processed SAD carbs.

Since you want to build muscle while eating good food on the low carb end of the scale, you might also want to check out Dr. Ted Naiman's information of diet and exercise: http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com He has super simple MEAL plans and exercise routines, a recent version is eat steak and eggs, add some green vegetables now and again.

Remember Dr. Phinney's advice: " If you want my secret to the right weight goal...it's the weight you can get to without too too much of a struggle and when you get there, still have a life, and you have to find that out by experience. I cannot give you a destination and GPS coordinates to get there."

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-08-18 at 04:23.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 07:34

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
"If you want my secret to the right weight goal...it's the weight you can get to without too too much of a struggle and when you get there, still have a life ..."

Now THAT is a brilliant quote!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-18, 10:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Way back I did Atkins and stayed within 20 carbs. When I started adding a few more I stalled and didn’t loose any weight. I think when I reach my goal, again, I will add a few in, but watch to stay within a +/- weight tolerance. The main advantage of this lifestyle for me is how I feel and I feel great with tons of energy. Good luck.