Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-03-24, 04:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Today I have my oncologist appointment, 17 1/2 years after diagnosis of breast cancer. Already had a clean MRI so we often just chat about diet and exercise. His wife eats "Paleo", he is a whip thin runner, so he wants to know what I do now to maintain a steady 22 BMI. I’ll share:

Quote:
A good self-assessment as to whether we are building up our defense is always a good idea:
-Muscle mass produces beneficial and anti-inflammatory chemicals to help fight off free radicals and inflammation, are we working hard to build/maintain it?
-Muscle mass releases these chemicals during adequate workouts. Are we doing them?
-Fat mass produces an overabundance of hormones and inflammatory chemicals that work against our immune system and metabolism. Are we minimizing it?
-Beneficial chemicals in colorful veggies, berries, and bitter vegetables like polyphenols and sulfurophane stimulate our immune system and detoxification pathways. Are we including these in our diet?

A healthy BMI is now my "big why".

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-03-24 at 04:35.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-03-24, 12:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Today I have my oncologist appointment, 17 1/2 years after diagnosis of breast cancer. Already had a clean MRI so we often just chat about diet and exercise. His wife eats "Paleo", he is a whip thin runner, so he wants to know what I do now to maintain a steady 22 BMI. I’ll share:

Quote:
A good self-assessment as to whether we are building up our defense is always a good idea:
-Muscle mass produces beneficial and anti-inflammatory chemicals to help fight off free radicals and inflammation, are we working hard to build/maintain it?
-Muscle mass releases these chemicals during adequate workouts. Are we doing them?
-Fat mass produces an overabundance of hormones and inflammatory chemicals that work against our immune system and metabolism. Are we minimizing it?
-Beneficial chemicals in colorful veggies, berries, and bitter vegetables like polyphenols and sulfurophane stimulate our immune system and detoxification pathways. Are we including these in our diet?

A healthy BMI is now my "big why".

Janet, my thoughts are with you, and I'm certain the superb metabolic health you've achieved will continue to serve you well. Your focus on health and learning to adapt to optimize your WOE to achieve health has served you well. Sharing the information as you travel your journey is one of the bonuses we get on this forum. While we all don't get the same results, using your reports of success or not has enabled many of us to experiment and find better ways to evolve beneficially.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-03-24, 12:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The culprit, as Johnson explains is fructose and the fructose pathway, recently clarified in research. Depending on one’s phenotype, you can experience metabolic derangement whether obese or slim if this pathway is unnecessarily turned on with frequency.

This reminded me of the clues found in extreme athletes, like Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple. String-bean physiques on marathon runners is not a guarantee of dodging diabetes. I also think that phenotype varies the way our symptoms of metabolic derangement are expressed.

Great, insightful comment, WB. The reason I used the term phenotype (instead of genotype) is due to the fact that our genes are expressed in part due to our genetic makeup, and most likely in a larger part by our environment, which includes everything we are exposed to including what we eat and drink. In addition to Mark Sisson, we can include Tim Noakes, Mark Cucuzzella, and Sami Inkinen, who were competitive endurance athletes with little body fat who had to fight diabetes. Yes, we are all unique in certain ways we respond to foods and how our genes are expressed, but achieving a good degree of metabolic health levels the "playing field" and makes life a lot easier.