Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 196/163.5/150
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default I fell off the wagon!

I just need some support here. I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago and I could not get back on. The more I kept saying, ok today I am going back to Atkins, and then my husband would say "you cant eat that", it would piss me off and I would eat it. I dont know why I fell off, but yesterday I got back on. I have not had any carbs and although most days I would do well, it would be that bowl of macaroni and cheese or that hamburger with the bun. I have not weighed myself in 2 weeks, because I am so scared that I gained weight. Now, I read in another post that once you cheat, your body reacts to the Atkins WOE diffeently and you wont lose anymore. Is this true! I think that I just needed a little break from everything. Going thru a lot of problems and I needed some time by myself. Any help, words, advice...anything...please come forward. I still have more weight to lose and I wnt to stick to this! Thanks in advance.

kandi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 10:55
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Don't worry about it. We've all been there and done that! It's not true that you won't react positively to Atkins a second time around. So you're back on the wagon and only good things will happen.

A question, don't mean to get into your business, do you tend to get more depressed and go off your diet in the winter or is this just something happening in your life right now? If you do tend to get more depressed in winter, you might have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). This might call for a more moderate LC plan until spring. Just a thought.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:

Hi! thanks for replying! No, I dont PLAN on getting more depressed. I stayed on the diet since June and really just needed a break I think. My house flooded a few months ago and now I am living on concrete floors because they took my carpet and tile out and the new ones are backordered, so it is just a mess right now. But I think after November, I'l start feeling better. Also I had hit a huge plateau for over a month and I was not moving any weight, I was just stuck at about 170 give or take a few...That in itself made me want to "cheat". My way of thinking was "well, I it aint coming off anyway, I mine as well eat what I want and splurge". Well, the splurge went on for a bit too long! I feel positive right now and I feel like I can stay back on the diet this time. I am motivated again and feel good about myself again! Also, I was buying those Atkins candy bars, and shakes. I would use those as an excuse to eat them and eat them....Dont think they really only have "2 CARBS"....Anyway, I am feeling much better now and am absolutely determined again!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 12:43
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Texas Gal

I know what you mean about the bars and shakes. On the new packaging they had to put out (FDA requirement) they now list the carb counts as 28-32 gms! No wonder I was stalled on those things. One is over my carb limit for the day and sometimes I was having 2-3/day! They claim that only 2 gm carbs are usable, the rest are sugar alcohols. Well my body reacts to sugar alcohols. Give me macadamia nuts anyday. From now on that will be my emergency/meal replacement food. I am meticulous about not overeating them.

Now that you're off the bars, I know there is a whoosh in your future.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hi TX!!!

Wow you have lost almost 30 pounds! Having some time off will not put those 30 pounds back on. I think one of the problems I face was always thinking in terms of being "on" the diet or "off" the diet. There was never any middle ground and I have been "on" every diet known to humankind (almost).

If you choose to eat something that is not on the plan, you haven't blown the whole thing. You have just made a choice and you have every right to do that. I am better now, I have chosen this as a way of life rather than a diet. When I am old and in the nursing home I am going to refuse to eat my potatoes.

No one has the right to tell you what you can and cannot eat. You might gently remind your husband that you are an adult and you are fully capable of making those decisions. He is probably just trying to help but if it brings up issues for you, it will only undermine you. Probably NOT his intent.

I think we have to get out of the deprivation mind set. That this is not something we have to do, it is not something anyone can make us do. We do this only through choice. Everytime you put a bite in your mouth, you have made a choice.

Hang in there. I think you are gonna make it! Cindi
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 07:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
No wonder I was stalled on those things

Yes, I felt the same way....I was eating 2 or 3 a day and also drinking the shakes! DUH!!!! I have not bought anymore and have stopped altogether eating anything that I was not eating before. I pretty much made up my mind months ago that I was giong to continue this way of eating forever, and after this little splurge, I will not ever eat as many carbs as I did before. They really do make me sick. I get headaches and all the stuff. Plus the fact you always feel bloated. Now, I did weigh myself this morning and despite the fact that I splurged for almost 2 weeks straight I still lost 3 pounds. BUT, I was fortunate enough not to gain...I could have gone the opposite direction, so Please anyone who is reading this...If you feel like you can "cheat" and get away with it, think twice. I was only lucky this time. I got stratight back on this WOE when I realized that what I was doing was exactly what got me at almost 200 pounds in the first place. I was eating fast food, Arby's, Taco Bell, Mcdonalds. It started off with just a little one, "this wont hurt just one time"...then it turned into two times, then three times. That stuff is poison! I also kept thinking of how much I have lost! 30 POUNDS!!!! That is amazing...Do I really want to give that up for a little french fry or hamburger? Absolutely NOT! I have 15 pounds to go. And althuogh we are all only HUMAN, and we will want to have those mashed potatoes every now and then, I think as long as we don't go overboard we will all be ok. Thanks for all your support! "Can we do it? Yes we can!!!!!

kandi