Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 08:06

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Anyone tried the South Beach Diet?

I was at the yahoo main page and found this link to South Beach Diet

South Beach Diet on Prevention.com

I have read feedback that it is a more liberal version of low-carb...but as well as a little of low-fat because they stress on removing the skin.

Our forum here doesnt have any sub forums on this diet. Any more feedback?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 12:19
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Try putting South Beach Diet in the search engine above. Click on the World symbol. I remember there were a couple of big, long threads about this.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 110/102/98 Female 5 feet
BF:

I love the SBD! It is a very well rounded way of eating~ I could have skipped phase one of it and went straight into phase 2... but mostly cuz i don't have that much weight to lose. I was in search of a healthy way of life...and I believe I have found it with the SBD!

I wish i wish i wish they would add a south beach catagory on this site already! Maybe because it isn't "low-carb" enough? Hmmmm.....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 22:33

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:

Probably another reason SBD doesnt have a subforum here is because it stresses it is neither a low-carb nor low-fat diet...

Atkins didnt mention about removing the chicken skin yah?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 00:56
Registered Member

BF:

I think Atkins does encourage people to eat lean meats but I don't know think everybody follows that rule. For example on the sbd you are not supposed to have any bacon outside of canadian bacon because you are supposed to always try and eat the leaner healthier cuts of meat.

In the end I feel as if both eating plans are probably pretty similar after induction. sbd probably stresses the lowfat/good fat and good carb a bit more than atkins.

Go to the prevention sbd forum ...and do a search for atkins on it and you can see all the comparisons that other peple have made. Some switch over with better results and others go back because atkins was more successful for them.

In the end you control your diet to be what you want it to be~

Last edited by sakura58 : Sun, Aug-17-03 at 01:00.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 16:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

South Beach isn't really like Atkins, except for the 2-week Phase 1 part which doesn't allow fruit, bread or cereals. I have the book, and after reading it, have to say that it appears to be a low calorie, lower fat, higher carb diet, based on the Glycemic Index. It's rather similar to Sugar Busters. Unfortunately, the arguments against saturated fat are based on the high carb, high insulin model ... but the author provides no references or further reading suggestions.

The menus are simple to follow, but many recipes use low-fat egg substitutes and non-stick pans.

And yes ... the very first sentence in the very first chapter is .. "This is not a low carb diet."

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
South Beach isn't really like Atkins ...

I'm glad you posted because I've read the SBD but haven't read the latest Atkins. I usually read comments from Atkins folks saying that the atkins maintenance is just like the SBD phase 2. They always say..."It's just Atkins maintenance with a new name and less controversy" With the re-introduction of carbs and the stress on lean meats and such... that's what I thought~ OOps!

So after reading all the books you settled on Thin for Good? I've never heard of that diet....What is the difference between that and the other plans?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I am starting it today! After doing atkins for like 6 months, I started to develop some digestive system poblems, so I am switching to SBD. I think A major problem I was having was eating too high of fat. Also, it appears to me that the 1st stage of SBD is very similar to atkins induction (a bit easier in that you don't count carbs and that nuts are ok) and then that stage two is very similar to atkins for life, just with lower saturated fat and potentially higher carbs. It makes more sense to me, but thats just me!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:50

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 162/144/140 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I have been on SBD for 7 weeks. I am very happy with the diet, it works for me.

I am not a veteran dieter, by the way, this is only the 2nd diet I have ever been on. I was on WW in 1999 and reached my goal, but gained it back over the years.

Do what works for YOU!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: the South Beach Diet
Stats: 155/150/130 Female 5-3
BF:
Progress:

Yes... I too love this diet!!!

I ate my 1st whole wheat bread today!! It was sooo yummy!

I've gathered a lot of people on Atkins really do not like SBD. I don't know why... but so it seems.

I don't know how much I have lost though ~ I STILL haven't bought a scale! (money's been tight!)

Oh and I prefer the leaner cuts of meat anyways. I'd much rather eat the canadian bacon than fatty bacon ya know!! So that party doesn't bother me!!