Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 04:46

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 145/145/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:
Default Low Carb Snacks?

So what do people have for low carb snacks, if at all? I suddenly get a craving for something crunchy about 6 or 7 at night. Usually I do pork rinds, but is there anything else that's crunchy? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 05:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Celery. I don’t snack anymore, especially not after dinner. Usually one or two meals is more than enough for me now.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 06:42

Plan: hybrid-Atkins/S. Beach
Stats: 206/198/170 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 22%

I think a lot of people will tell you to get out of the habit of snacking which is great advice! When I want a crunchy low carb snack I usually turn to vegetables (like snap peas, pepper strips, celery). You can dip them or they taste great plain. I also have been known to eat those parmesan cheese snacks that are just cheese cooked into cracker shape, they are a bit pricy though. My favorite LC snack is sunflower seeds in the shell. They aren't really crunchy but they fill the need to mindlessly shove food in my face. Carbs are low and they take so long to eat that I'm satisfied LONG before I've finished even half of a serving. I also think a pickle might fit your needs and the salt is good for lowcarbers.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 12:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Snacks are rare, but when I crave crunch celery is the safest. Nuts are too high in carbs & protein and are way too more-ish. I eat celery dipped in plain or seasoned mayo for dessert.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 20:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, millaburg. What you'll find as you continue to stay consistent with low carb eating, your snack cravings will go away, which is why you've gotten some responses from people who don't snack. Count me as one of them, as I eat 2 meals a day, first at around mid day between 12 and 1, and the second at around 5:30. I don't snack, and never eat anything before or after my meals.

As you get used to it during this transition, pork rinds are fine, as are the other suggestions you've gotten. Enjoy the journey.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 11:21

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 145/145/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:
Default Snacks

It's funny, because I never used to eat after 3pm, and was not a snacker.....Now that I'm alone, I think it's a nervous habit which I don't want....Was never a fan of celery either, unless dipped in onion dip. To me, I feel fat is fat, and still has lots of calories.

Anyway, thanks for your answers.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 12:31

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Millaburg, one of the stumbling blocks to going "all the way" with low carb, is all the information you have been absorbing over the last umpteen years. Unfortunately, with the new research, what we have been told is a big fat lie.

If you are really serious about losing weight, educate yourself on the physiology of nutrition.

There are many resources on this forum to help you learn that "fat is not fat" and "has many calories."

A low carb diet is designed to switch your body from relying on carbohydrates for energy to relying on fats. So, if you can't eat carbohydrates, you are left with fat and protein. Period.

Good luck. Read as many threads as you can handle at a time and look up all the good references people provide.

A low carb life style is based upon science - not guesses.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 12:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by millaburg
It's funny, because I never used to eat after 3pm, and was not a snacker.....Now that I'm alone, I think it's a nervous habit which I don't want....Was never a fan of celery either, unless dipped in onion dip. To me, I feel fat is fat, and still has lots of calories.

Anyway, thanks for your answers.

You should read some low carb books to truly understand low-carb and how it works.
The low fat concept has been so ingrained in us since the 70s that it's hard to shake and ignore calories and stop being afraid of fat because the body has to run and when you remove those insidious carbs which turn into sugar once in your body, your body will convert and begin running on fat, both your own and what you consume.
You might want to read an older Atkins book written by him and it will explain the mechanism of how low-carb works.
Atkins warned not to go low-fat and low-carb at the same time because you will become malnourished.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 14:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Millaberg. You are so right to try and stay on top of the snack habit. Like you, I’ve found that snacking is mostly a result of low-level anxiety, or more often, simple boredom. I have to ask myself, “Are you hungry?” The answer is usually NO and that stops me in my tracks to the kitchen.

If I decide on snack, I like pork rinds dipped in a bit of mayo, or a couple of big green olives. I can’t eat a great quantity of either one, and it zaps the snack attack until the nearest meal.

Best wishes.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 19:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I do miss some of the old foods. Yes, I could polish off a whole box of Wheat Thins. To replace the crunch, my kids and I enjoy herbed almond flour crackers. Recipe in recipe section. Rolked out thin and baked until a nice crunch. Use caution as they are nuts in disguise...... cant eat just one.

There are other crackers, too, that are low carb.

I do find weight loss is acheived when I ask myself, am I hungry or is this thirst? Then drink a glass of water, and see if the hungries arise again. Then either eat, or reach for more water.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 19:54

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I eat one light meal a day, and what I consider some snacks (grazing).

Breakfast is 18 raw almonds and a couple of cups of tea

Mid morning a Grass-Fed whey shake

Then lunch, which is my main meal. It might be some egg whites with cheese and bacon, a grass-fed cheeseburger in a "keto bagel" and perhaps a veggie.

A cup of coffee about an hour later with one square of 85% chocolate

Later on around 5 I'll snack on a small handful of roasted nuts or some nut butter

And around 10 another light snack. Maybe some olives, cheese, or keto ice cream.

I found that grazing works better for me.

You have to find what works for you.

There are lots of keto snack food at netrition.com and amazon

Watch your total calories and your carb/protein/fat ratios.

Good luck,
Bob
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-20, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Raw salad vegetables or kosher baby dill pickles are a good crunchy snack. Olives are not crunchy but also make a good snack. You can have a little dairy with them if you like - cream cheese, cheddar or Swiss cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, etc.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-20, 09:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

dill pickles, diakon, radish, saur kraut, kim chee - have worked for me
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-20, 04:33

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Now that I am 2 months into a "very serious" attempt at low carb, and have learned from this forum that I don't really have to eat vegetables, and the adage "eat only when hungry," I do not feel a need for snacks anymore. I am grateful.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-20, 18:11

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I don't eat many veggies. I suppose I should eat more than I do, but the only ones I like are too carby for me.