Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-14, 08:08

Plan: Keto
Stats: 177/167/158 Female 5'5
BF:Too high :)
Progress: 53%
Default Insecurity

In high school I was 210... At 5'5 it was big, I was uncomfortable...no one made fun of me though to my knowledge I was blessed... I met my husband who has never mentioned or minded my weight when I was 18 (200#) I immediately started low carb and between 2 pregnancies and 9 years I've maintained 140-160lbs...but I'm now at the high end of that 159/160... I feel insecure a lot worry that my husband doesn't like how I look even though I've weighed so much...it annoys him that I worry about and weigh myself an let it effect me...it's a double edged sword because I want encouragement to lose weight but he wants nothing to do with it...he doesn't judge what I do to get there though... I just want my clothes to fit comfy again and feel confident...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 19:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Sounds like you are doing terrific with your weight loss. You're really only a few pounds above your goal!!

I too have insecurity issues, so I can relate to what you are saying. I have also found that the less I say to my husband the better off I am when it comes to eating low carb. He too wants me to look great, but doesn't really want to discuss it.

Not sure if I have any great advice, but just wanted to let you know I can really relate.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 19:29
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Oh my gosh---I can relate here too. The reason I started on Atkins again is because I was feeling fat, ugly, and like my husband probably didn't like the way I look (all not true in his eyes, thankfully). I am 5'5" and a couple of days ago I was 168. My clothes were uncomfortable and I had *just* bought a larger size jeans. My husband doesn't like to discuss LC that much, it's just not his thing, and he isn't really a cheerleader for my weight loss per se, I think probably because he doesn't want me to feel pressure to be a certain weight to make him happy. The flip side is that I don't get a whole lot of compliments either, but that's ok.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 10:47

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jumping in where angels may fear to tread, but here goes. As an older woman (I'm 64) who has been insecure about her weight since she was 12, even though I was below average weight most of that time, I cannot resist offering a hard-won perspective that I wish I'd discovered decades ago. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not bashing, just sincerely hoping to help.

Women who talk about their weight to their men come across not only as insecure and self-obsessed but also BORING. It doesn't matter how much he loves you or how understanding he is, constantly hearing about your weight, your food, and your appearance is a turnoff. If I had to start over losing weight again (God forbid) I would quietly get on with it without discussing it, within reason, with my SO. One quick explanation that I eat a certain way for my health, and that would be it.

Discuss your weight as much as you like with your girlfriends. They are the ones who "get" it. They are the ONLY ones who will find it remotely interesting. Men don't understand on a gut level how tied-together weight and self-esteem are to women in our society - because society doesn't treat them the same way. They may understand intellectually, but that's not helpful to you. BTW, this is not theoretical. I have an amazing relationship with an amazing man. Low carb, weight loss, and "does this make me look fat?" are not part of our time together. So freeing.

If this seems like the rantings of an old fart so be it, but when I think back to when I was young and almost perfect (as most young people are) I shudder at my lack of confidence. A woman who has confidence in her own body is incredibly sexy to men at just about any size and, perhaps surprisingly, any age. I wish I had learned that much sooner. Until you have genuine confidence in your body, fake it with the men and save the laments and insecurities for your girlfriends.

Last edited by Whofan : Fri, May-30-14 at 11:58.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 11:40

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

This made me cry when I watched it, but it helped me understand things a little better about how I perceive myself:
Dove Real Beauty Sketches

Your husband, and likely others, see the beautiful person you are inside because your beauty radiates to the outside.
I can't speak for your husband because I certainly do not know him or what he is thinking, but it may just be that your focus on the weight loss and worrying about your weight all the time is radiating an attitude to him that is not as beautiful as he knows you really are and can be.

In someone's sig line it says something like (I can't find it now): "What happens in LC Club stays in LC Club." I think there is much wisdom in that concept if you have a significant other that is not also challenged with weight issues and also trying to lose weight along with you.

Anyway,
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 13:10

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan

Women who talk about their weight to their men come across not only as insecure and self-obsessed but also BORING.

Discuss your weight as much as you like with your girlfriends. They are the ones who "get" it. They are the ONLY ones who will find it remotely interesting.

If this seems like the rantings of an old fart so be it, but when I think back to when I was young and almost perfect (as most young people are) I shudder at my lack of confidence. A woman who has confidence in her own body is incredibly sexy to men at just about any size and, perhaps surprisingly, any age. I wish I had learned that much sooner. Until you have genuine confidence in your body, fake it with the men and save the laments and insecurities for your girlfriends.

This is so very true and TOTALLY HIT HOME!!!! It's so hard to "fake it" but so very true. When I hear those words "your so sexy" I wish I could turn the (ya right doubt in my mind off) and just BELIEVE it.

Whofan you have such a way with words! I needed to hear those words today, I may even write a few down
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan

Love this.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 21:45

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%

A woman who has confidence in her own body is incredibly sexy to men at just about any size and, perhaps surprisingly, any age. [/QUOTE]

Take it from a man...truer words have never been spoken!!