Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 13:57
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peach Cobbler

Using 2 cans of peaches, I came up with a delicious Peach Cobbler today! I don't usually care for canned peaches, but DH brought these home from the store and I wanted to use them up.

This quick cobbler is made from canned, no-sugar-added peaches. The pastry goes together real easily and you can be enjoying deliciously sweet cobbler in no time. I find that even though fruit is artificially sweetened, they are usually not sweet enough for me using straight out of the can, therefore I add a packet of Splenda or Stevia to the filling every time when using canned fruit. To date, that approach hasn't backfired on me. The peaches may vary from can to can, brand to brand, so do a taste test on YOUR peaches to decide if you want to add that additional packet of sweetener or not. You can substitute ¼ tsp. xanthan gum for the glucomannan powder as your thickening agent if you prefer. This recipe is not suitable until the advanced fruits rung of the OWL ladder of Atkins, in pre-maintenance. The crust is taken from KevinPa’s (former member on LowCarbFriends forums, who sadly passed away last year) pie crust recipe, for those familiar with his baking prowess.

FILLING INGREDIENTS:

2 14.5-oz. cans no-sugar-added peaches (I used Del Monte which are artificially sweetened)
¼ tsp. cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
½ tsp. glucomannan powder
1 packet stevia or Splenda
2 T. unsalted butter (plus 1 T. more to grease the baking dish)

CRUST:

1 c. + 2 T. Carbalose flour
6 T. resistant wheat starch
½ c. + 1 T. shortening or butter
¼ tsp. salt
¼ c. ice cold water

DIRECTIONS: Grease the bottom and sides of an 8″x11″ baking dish with 1 T. softened butter. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, mix the peaches (with their juice), cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia and glucomannan powder (or xanthan gum). Stir well and pour into buttered baking dish. Dot with the 2 T. of butter. Preheat your oven to 350º.

For the crust, in a clean mixing bowl, measure out the flour, wheat starch, salt and shortening. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut the shortening into the flour to break it up until it is the size of coarse cornmeal. Slowly add the water, a little at a time and begin to stir into a solid dough. Do not overwork the dough. When you can form it into a single ball, it’s ready to roll. I have two sheets of plastic I use for rolling out dough, but two pieces of any plastic wrap will do. Moisten your counter top so the bottom piece remains still while you work. Place dough on the bottom plastic and cover with a second sheet of plastic and roll the dough slightly larger than your baking dish. Lift the top piece of plastic off the dough gently and lifting up the bottom sheet of plastic, invert the dough onto your cobbler (folding the dough in half helps to lift it). Trim off the excess dough about ¼-½” beyond the pan edges and crimp the edge inward so that it is entirely inside the dish. Decorate the top with any surplus dough. I like to roll it out and cut out leaves and a representation of the fruit in the filling to dress up the tops of cobblers. This time I also took a pastry brush and dipped into some watered down food coloring for added effect. I sprinkled erythritol onto the peach as well. Pop into preheated 350º oven for about 25 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Cool slightly before attempting to dip up.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 servings, each contains:

330 calories
26.3 g fat
21.27 g carbs, 13.17 g fiber, 8.1 g NET CARBS
1.23 g protein
108 mg sodium
70,5 mg potassium
44 % RDA Vitamin C
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 17:19

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

What can I use instead of the glucomannan ?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 20:06
Patience Personified

1/4 tsp. xanthan gum or guar gum should work OK Gracie.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 11:09
CherryCola

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

So glad I found this! Just got some beautiful peaches from the farmer's market!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 12:36
Patience Personified

I think you'll like it, CherryCola. Do let me know how it comes out with the fresh peaches. You'll want to add a little water to your peaches and filling mixture so you'll have the moisture the canned peaches have.