Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 21:16

Plan: Weight Watchers/S Beach
Stats: 201/195.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Somersizing???

Anyone done the Suzanne Somer's diet? I bought the book, Slim & Sexy forever. It seems to be a sort of low carbers version of a diet, but would like to know if anyone has done this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Yes - I have made a few modifications, but have been following it for almost a year. I suggest you visit the website; suzannesomers.com - click on "community" and "discussion" - they are very friendly people and have some terrific recipes. You can get an idea of the basic plan by reading the posts.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 21:33

BF:

Sailgal, how much have you lost? She seems to be pretty close to WW Core plan. I want to look at the half price bookstore and see if they have any of her earlier books. I'm 48 and need something that will work for my "later in life" weight gain of 50 pounds. It's pretty intimating and trying to keep my head above water, that's why her new book grabbed my attention.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 08:35
Registered Member

BF:

RebeccaA, I'm not a real good example because of IR, but I've lost 22#. I have to confess that occasionally I have a glass of wine (a no-no on level 1) and I need to combine my fruit with a pro/fat due to diabetes, so that could slow me down. Plain fruit spikes my b.g. I find this to be a very easy plan to follow and the ladies who have hormonal problems seem very enthusiastic about it. Please check out the website - go to the "Women's Health" forum, "The Sexy Years" (hormonal issues) and the "General Discussion" - all of the forums are very informative. Before I began the program, I went to the library and checked out all of her books, then I found three of them at thrift shops. I refer to them often and between her plan, Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Schwarzbein I am working on a lifelong plan for me. I hope you will check out the website - I think you would enjoy it
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 21:41

BF:

Thank you Waterwoman, for responding. You're the only one to reply. Guess we're the only ones following Somersizing.

Do you exercise? I am planning to start walking, hopefully, tomorrow. We're suppose to get really hot, above 90 tomorrow. I will have to see.

I also have a glass of wine at night. That's my downfall on most low carb plans the first few weeks. Have you tried the low carb wines? I haven't and wondered how they were.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 13:36
Registered Member

BF:

Rebecca, due to some mixup, I was also sailgal, but that is all fixed now & I'm back to being "waterwoman"- Yes, I powerwalk every day and lift weights/resistance 3x week. You are lucky to start on the road to good health so young - I just found out about it after being diagnosed as type2 diabetic and I am ...hmmm, let's just say in my "silver" years. Fifteen years ago, a dr. said I was borderline diabetic and did not explain the dire consequences if I didn't change my eating habits - I was on a strict no/fat-high carbohydrate program - now we know that is a poor choice of eating. Hope you are visiting the SS website and "talking" to the friendly ladies there. You will find fantastic recipes and great information about any questions or problems you might run in to.

No, I haven't tried the low-carb wines - I usually find that low-carb products have ingredients I shouldn't have, but I haven't looked at the wine ingredient list. I think I'd rather add a little club soda or sparkling water to my merlot

Last edited by waterwoman : Sun, Jun-26-05 at 13:39. Reason: Addition to text
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 17:56

Plan: somersize
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Rebecca

Do you know that suzzane has a new book out about menopause and weight issues? You should really check that out. I love ssing. It's the only plan I have ever been able to stick to. I think all of us ssers need to get a group name and start threads with that name and really do this together. I know I could use the support
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 19:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default SS Recipes

This is a long time sser (debB) website and they are tested by her family - she is a wonderfully helpful gal on the suzannesomer.com forum and among the many contributors. DebB's Buns are an adaptation of hers from an Atkins recipe - they are terrific for use when you want a sandwich - not bread, but a really great substitute when you haven't had any in over a year!

Hope you enjoy

Our favorite Tried & True SS recipes:
http://recipecircus.com/recipes/SomersizinDebB/
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-05, 20:16

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 580/451/165 Female 5ft 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Couldn't help but jump in!

I just wanted to say that I'm also a Somersizer... I've been SS'ing since July of 2003. I've lost 160 pounds. I tried Atkins for awhile to be able to have some of the Atkins products (bagels) but I'm back with SS. I just ordered her new book and I am looking forwarded to reading it. I have a lot of problems with insulin resistance and low thyroid. This woe seems to work best for me. My cholestrol was 265 when I started and it's 135 as of last week. I have problems with my knees and can't walk or stand for too long a time so that limits my physical activity. I have a power chair to help me get around. I just wanted to say hi. I believe whatever plan works for you is a good plan as long as you get a variety of foods. Keep up the good work....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-05, 20:36

Plan: between plans again
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Gals

I guess I missed this thread before. I'm Somersizing and loving it. I am happy with the idea that a carb pig-out is still legal once in a while (if no pro/fats included of course!). So, unlike the way that I felt with ATKINS, I am not mourning the loss of my food. It's great once you get the hang of the rules!

Best of luck to you all!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 07:36

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hello the little SS gang

Just to let you know I am doing SS too...about 8yrs ago when I was bigger, I tried all the diets on earth..didnt work till I picked up a book called Fit for Life...dont know where I got that book cause it was in french..so i read it and it really made sense...anyhow back then I also decided to go for walks every lunch hour at work and still to this day I walk during my lunch...and I really lost alot...went to my normal weight...2 yrs ago i started to premenopause...YES the seven dwarfs started to kick in once a while during the month...i did Atkins but way too much fat for me...i cant take all that fat...dont have a stomach for that...and it made me gag often...so I read SS lastest book which was a lot like Fit for Life but with the 7 dwarfs...ive tried Fat Flush which is fantastic too...i think both are great but since i need to get in tune with my dwarfs i decided to read SS and Dr. S and they are both great...i will be checking up in here once a while..hang in there all

ciao
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 10:52

BF:

Hi Lan

My third plan since being here at the forum is the tried and true Fit for Life. I started with Atkins, then was following SS very well but I think that I was leaning way to much toward the animal products. So for me, (forgive me Atkinsers on the site!) that was just not very healthy. Even with a few days of a re-focus on FFL I can feel a difference and, I swear I can SEE a difference in the skin on my face. It's a glow, I tell you!

Best of luck, no matter which plan that you choose!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 11:48

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

HI Betty...yes FFL is very good too...I am trying SS cause of the hormones...but if I recall, FFL you do eat meat...or its been so long ago that they changed it or its one of my hormones that is giving me a senoir moment...hehe....

nice to see someone not too far from me...Montreal here
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 12:06

BF:

Indeed Lanny! There is plenty of room for meat and dairy in FFL if you choose to eat them! Sorry, that was a pretty unclear explanation from me. In SS plan, I found that it was easier to have pro/fat meals that carb meals. And then it seemed that since I was also "allowed" to have more that one protein per meal, that I had way too many meals and snacks with meat and cheeses and butter...bla bla bla. It was starting to feel a little bit more like Atkins! (apologies again to anyone that may take offence to that statement )

So...I am trying to follow FFL for a bit in order to get back to a few rules that I like:
70% of food should be fruits and veg
No eating within 2 hrs of bed
Nothing but fruit til' noon
And a few all fruit or all fruit and veg days. (I'm really going to test myself with this one!)

I think that SS has a fantastic grasp of the hormone story and that she has a great way of explaining it. I think that both plans are right. Perhaps at this time, FFL might be just 'righter' for me.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 06:07

Plan: GI
Stats: 231/231/143 Female 179cm
BF:

Hi....I think this can help for you: http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/m/healt...-combining.html
this: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=44166

But I think so this can help for you most,there all book,but in rusian language,you can translate all with this : http://www.translate.ru/srvurl.asp?lang=ru
just fill in this URL : www.yamama.ru/books/montisecrets/index.htm ,and choose language transale from Rusian to...