Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-04, 20:37

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Blueberry Scones

Hello there peoples. I dunno about you all but I'm really missing baked goods. So I made some VERY low carb blueberry scones. I estimate they are about 3g carbs each, and they are pretty big too. Unfortunately I'm not big on measuring anything, LoL. Anyways here's the ingredients:

LC Bisquit Mix (see photo)
Shortening
Splenda (to taste)
Pinch salt
Cinnamin
Heavy Cream
1-2 eggs (I used 1 and they were kinda dry, sooo 2?)
Water
Blueberries (i'd say about 1/4 cup - 1/3 cup, or to your taste lol)
Chopped Walnuts (optional)

I poured the bisquit mix into a big bowl and sprinkled in cinnamin (to taste), splenda, and salt. Then I "cut" in shortening (imagine making a pie crust) until it resembles little tiny pebbles. In a small seperate bowl crack the egg(s) and whisk gently, add heavy cream then pour into the bowl containing the bisquit mix. If it's not wet enough add some cold water. I suggest going alittle on the wet side as mine came out kinda dry. Just not so wet it's all slop LoL. Add the blueberries and walnuts. Once it comes together and you feel it's ready, sprinkle alittle bake mix on your countertop and pour out the bowl onto it. Shape it, flatten it, etc until it comes together. I made mine into an oval. Then using a large knife or pastry cutter cut it into desired sized pieces (see pics below).

I sprayed a baking sheet lined with foil with some buttery spritz. Layed the scones on top. Sprayed the tops of the scones and sprinkled alittle splenda on top. Baked them at 350 for about 15-20 mins or until done.

Since traditional scones are eaten with clotted cream I thought I should make some sort of accompanyment for the scones. So I made some of my favorite sweetened cream cheese we used to buy at Bagel World in merritt island. I simply creamed together cream cheese, alittle butter, alittle splenda, cinnamin, pinch salt, and alittle vanilla extract.

I give these a rating of B+ for a LC baked good that is very low in carbs. I think if I made them into muffins they would have been better. I will try that next time, going to make zucchini muffins. Will post that recipe next weekend when I give it a try.
Sponsored Links