Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 09:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Meal prep can be as simple as doing a large roast (beef, pork, lamb, chicken) over the weekend and then varying the sides for each meal with fresh, low-carb veggies or salads during the week and possibly ending with a casserole for multiple easy meals over the following week.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 11:46

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Meal prep can be as simple as doing a large roast (beef, pork, lamb, chicken)
I do this routinely and slice or dice the cooked leftovers and store them in the freezer in one-portion servings. Frozen meat/poultry thaws just in time for lunch at work, and after work I pull out whatever I am in the mood for, add fresh or frozen vegs (or none) and some fat and dinner is heated up and ready in 5 minutes. At any moment I have at least 20 servings of protein in the freezer ready to go. I also get family packs of ground beef, chicken, turkey, add some herbs and make burgers in my "Starfrit hamberger stacker" and freeze them.
  #138   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 12:57

BF:

Great idea cooking family packs of ground meat and storing it in the freezer. Lots of things you can do with that.
  #139   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 06:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Update, Heal Clinics closed as the business model was not viable, page 4 not available there now. Instead, Dr. Westman has started a new website, and building the content this week.

DrWestmanOnline.com; it is currently on a WordPress blog format.

https://drericwestman.blog

There you can download a new version of "Page 4" Finally! https://drericwestman.blog/page-4/

The Facebook page, TheLowCarbSupportGroup, the on-line presence for the local Durham Support group is still going strong. I updated our list of resources in its Files. Dr. Westman has a tab on his site for his favorite books, the old "white coat" video, upcoming events, new videos, etc.
All new ... a work in progress.

https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...1265013/(latest update)

He will be speaking at three Adapt events in the Midwest in July, with local LC doctors.
Details to sign-up here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482433

Chicago (Loyola campus downtown), Terre Haute, Minnesota.
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 06:30

BF:

Thanks for the update, Janet. Sorry to hear the news. I wondered how Heal would fare, as there were a lot of issues with the idea of online and brick and mortar clinics that had patients counseled by advisors based on a low carb program. Many can do this for themselves if educated, and there are excellent resources like DD and IDM that help.
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 08:19
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I'm sad that the Healcare program failed, too. Some people find their own way, but when it comes to good dietary advice online it really is wilder than the wild, wild west out there. There is so much noise, so many agendas, and loads of people trying to make a buck. So many people don't have a clue what they really need to do. Yes, the Healcare program cost $$ - but the participant received guidance for a proven program with support and encouragement along the way.

My daughter Courtney recently referred me to and encouraged me to post on a FB group that she belongs to called Keto for Beginners. It is a huge group - thousands of likes & posts daily. It is much like this forum was 17 years ago with so many people stuck in the mindset of a quick-fix, temporary diet. People posting photos of, even bragging about what they ate on their cheat day, etc. It really is a group of beginners, with more bad advice being dished out than good. I've posted there some, but 10 seconds later any post is buried 20 posts up by the rapid fire action in that large group. It's really not a good use if my time.

Those of us that have hung out in the LC community for some time see this as a permanent healthy lifestyle change. We are in continuous learning mode and what we are doing seems logical -- almost 'normal'-- to us, anyway. I sometimes forget how foreign this looks to those on the other side that are dipping their toe in the water for the first time. A lot of people need help. We have a long way to go.
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 08:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Those of us that have hung out in the LC community for some time see this as a permanent healthy lifestyle change. We are in continuous learning mode and what we are doing seems logical -- almost 'normal'-- to us, anyway. I sometimes forget how foreign this looks to those on the other side that are dipping their toe in the water for the first time. A lot of people need help. We have a long way to go.

This is a good observation and one that should remind those who have made low carb a way of life for several years that it was a mystery in the beginning. It does become normal and easy for us, but we often forget how our lives were in the first weeks, months, year of moving to low carb. I was completely unaware of how I would respond, so I feverishly kept low carb snacks around assuming I would still eat at the frequency and consume the quantity I ate when following a SAD. Once I adapted to fat burning, my appetite at meals diminished, my meals per day went from 3 plus snacks to 2 with zero snacks. I believe business objectives like Heal Clinics can serve a purpose, especially with people just starting a WOE change, as you observe, Ken. The correct formula for food and nutrition guidance that people are willing to pay for while also ensuring the business has enough revenue to survive is the art here. Businesses like Virta Health and IDM that have a different model still need to demonstrate long-term success, but seem to be attractive enough to people requiring sound nutrition guidance. I would rather have businesses like Heal than the many low carb and keto foods that seem to be flooding the market, but we knew that would happen too. Yes, we have quite a way to go . . .
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 09:26

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am an anomaly I guess. This was easy for me. I was happy to switch up my diet. I embraced low carb whole heartedly and haven't strayed very far since. I think it's been about 15 years. I also think it really helped that weight was only a part of my motivation. I was after much better health right from the start. It is a shame that the Heal Clinic model didn't succeed because we all know that Dr Westman's approach works and has worked for so many people. It must be a great disappointment to him and I imagine he feels bad for all the people who invested in it.

One reason I think it was easy for me is that I kept it simple. There wasn't as much distracting information. I followed Dr Bernstein's 6-12-12 eating plan and combined it with a paleo diet that I learned about from a book entitled "Neanderthin" by Ray Audette. I read other things but these two were my mainstays. There is too much distraction out there nowadays, too many opinions, too many complications. I also participated in the forum on Dr Bernstein's website which at the time was very active and very helpful.

Last edited by cotonpal : Fri, Jun-14-19 at 09:52.
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 10:17

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, it is easy for long-timers like me to forget how strenuous Dr. Atkins's "induction" plan felt at first, and how hopeful I was for magical results.

Now, I find that my mind tends to dwell more on the disappointment of not maintaining my "goal" weight (as of twelve years ago) rather than the triumph of never, ever returning to my highest weight at the beginning (almost twenty years ago). The body really does have its own program, and there's only a certain amount of intervention that's humanely sustainable.

The WOE, as we call it, becomes natural and easy. But the health benefits (and they are many!) which include things that didn't happen are harder to measure than weight goals or body size and shape wishes.

At 72, I attend many funerals, pray for others' surgeries involving body part replacements, grieve with friends standing by as dementia seizes their loved ones, and thank whatever gods may be for my dumb luck so far.

I like the civilized and informative conversation here, assisted by subscriber contributions (with that wonderful "no ads" benefit!) I subscribe to DietDoctor which seems able to continue its site without ads or products.

And I hope a few "beginners" will find their way to a healthier lifestyle.
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-19, 14:13

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Anyone going to the Adapt event in Minnesota this Saturday? If you are, PM me. Let’s meet up.
  #146   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-19, 04:46

Just saw this. Have a fun day! Adapt has posted 18 photos from Chicago..a sold out audience. Someone thanked me on the Ketogenic forum that he was able to find a good local doctor, one who spoke there, and a second joined in that it was great to be in a room of all LC. The cancer talk was also good, and Adapt will eventually post on their YouTube channel.
  #147   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-19, 06:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Just as some people were slow to warm regarding online stores: that's the future of retail.

Likewise, online medical care will be resisted, but that is futile. It's already happening on a cultural basis.
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 12:45

So many new talks by Dr. Westman, but this is his newest speech given in Tel Aviv at the MetabolixOrg conference, posted yesterday. Also posted on the same YouTube channel, a new talk by Gary Taubes and Dr. Steve Phinney. Short interviews with some of the other speakers, their talks should also be added soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4odBoZYyaw
  #149   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 09:40

Newest podcast/video on DietDoctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-doc...dr-eric-westman
  #150   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 11:28

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Love Dr. Westman! His perpetually boyish looks and low-key charm are irresistible. But more important, he looks at the evidence: not only of so-called controlled studies but also of clinical results. He has attracted the attention of the medical community in a big way. And "just folks" like me with issues and questions know where to go online.

Thanks, Janet!