Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 01:44

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%
Wink 99% Cocoa Chocolate - Made for Atkins?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a Lindt commercial - its not
When my wife and I stared induction, we remembered reading that dark chocolate was low in carbs. Most of the chocolate bars we checked however had considerable amount of carbs.

Then we found Lindt chocolate bars. They have 70%, 85%, 90%, and 99% Cocoa varieties. The 70% and 85% were prohibitive, but one 10 gram square from the 90% had 1 net carbohydrate (of sugar). Taste wise, It was very bitter but it grew on us eventually as our palate adjusted.

After the first week I saw their 99% in the supermarket. A 50g bar had 4 Carbohydrates. 3 grams were Fibre and 1 gram was sugar. That was for the entire bar! Well, it was definitely bitter the first time I had it. I've been having it for about a week or so now .. and I am definitely over the bitterness, I actually prefer it to the other stuff now. I can eat one bar a day and only get one net carb. And one bar can be nursed the whole day when at work. I also leaves a dryness in my mouth which prompts me to drink more water (yay!) We all know chocolate is healthy .. full of antioxidants (80,000 ORAC rating). I was reading that 99% Cocoa is the best of the best and one of its great attributes is the fact it has more magnesium than calcium - 6:1 ratio! (Mag to Calcium is supposed to be 1:1 but on average people have 18x more Calcium than magnesium ..)

Wow that really did sound like an advertisement. The point I'm trying to make is that its been making induction very easy for us. We ran out on Friday and didn't get to the store to get more ... we kind of fell off the wagon this weekend. Bought some more tonight ..

Weight-wise we've been having it for a week or so now .. weight loss is semi-consistent .. I'm losing about a quarter to half a pound a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 06:26

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Are you sure the label is a USA-style one rather than a European-style one.

Do the listed fibre (not fiber) numbers come immediately below the total carbs number or are they in a different part of the label (below the fat numbers) like in the example here?

If so then the fibre has not been included in the total carb number (outside USA fibre is not counted as being a carb) so the total carb number shown is actually the equivalent of US-style net carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 06:35

BF:

double post

Last edited by Elizellen : Mon, Feb-08-10 at 06:43.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 07:04

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

wow. even if the fiber was already substrated 4 grams is not bad for a whole bar which is probably 10 squares I am guessing correctly. I eat one square of 85% (1.5 carb) from time to time and am pretty darn satisfied. I will keep my eye out for the 99%, although I found it odd the 90% had more carbs than the 85%.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 07:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Are you sure the label is a USA-style one rather than a European-style one.

It is a European product, but the company has a sticker back applied to the packaging so they can adhere to Canadian food regulations, of having the Nutritional / product information displayed in French and English. The Fibre/Sugars are listed (indented) below the Carbohydrates.

If you aren't adjusted to it - this chocolate is PRETTY bitter - I can see there being 1g of sugar in the whole bar .

Also, the listed ingredients are: Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Powder, Cocoa Butter, and Brown Sugar.

My Custom Ingredient P.L.A.N. Entry

Its good

Last edited by Yesurbius : Mon, Feb-08-10 at 08:03.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 08:20

BF:

Wow, then it IS lowcarb!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 08:41

Plan: Atkin's diet
Stats: 135/128/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%

I like the Ghirardelli, 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate, it is in the baking section at the store.

43 g 220 calories, 14 carbs, 7 fiber, o sugar, net carb 7
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 09:01

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Lindt Nutritional Data

Maybe I am looking at the wrong data, but according to the Lindt website the carb count for an entire bar of 99% Cocoa shows Total Carb 13g with Fiber 6g. This is still a low amount, but could be up to 25% of your daily carb allowance if you aren't careful. I occasionally indulge in a square of very dark chocolate when hormones get out of control, so I am not being critical of your choices. I just wanted to make sure you have the correct data. Knowledge is power!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 09:39

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I have had a part eaten bar in my cupboard for about a year. I don't know how you can eat it! It is so bitter. I'd rather brave the sugar alcohols in diabetic chocolate!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 09:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd did
Maybe I am looking at the wrong data, but according to the Lindt website the carb count for an entire bar of 99% Cocoa shows Total Carb 13g with Fiber 6g. This is still a low amount, but could be up to 25% of your daily carb allowance if you aren't careful. I occasionally indulge in a square of very dark chocolate when hormones get out of control, so I am not being critical of your choices. I just wanted to make sure you have the correct data. Knowledge is power!

Do you have the link for that? I'm curious. If it contradicts the info I have, I'll fire off an email to them for confirmation (maybe request a full nutritional breakdown)

Lindt Canada's Product Info with Nutritional Label (Mirrors Packaging)
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 09:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
I have had a part eaten bar in my cupboard for about a year. I don't know how you can eat it! It is so bitter. I'd rather brave the sugar alcohols in diabetic chocolate!

*giggle* I gave a square to a coworker of mine and she gagged and choked for about 3 minutes .. You _have_ to work your way up to the 99%. I don't even taste the bitterness anymore - in fact its a bit sweet now. The 90% stuff is super sweet to me now.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 09:48

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

The bar on the website with 1g carbs seems to be a 50g bar which is a very small one.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 09:51

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

I used to hate dark chocolate, but now I think the 85% bar is delicious. You just have to get into the habit.

I wish I could find a place that sells the 90% or 99% bar.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 10:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd did
Maybe I am looking at the wrong data, but according to the Lindt website the carb count for an entire bar of 99% Cocoa shows Total Carb 13g with Fiber 6g.

I found where you saw that. On the Lindt USA site. Even if they subtracted the carbs - it doesn't add up to my Label. I fired off an email to the company asking if they have a detailed nutritional breakdown, and if its a different product then what is in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
The bar on the website with 1g carbs seems to be a 50g bar which is a very small one.

Its half the size of the normal bar (100g). They have a it packaged differently. The chocolate is thinner, and the squares are smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
I used to hate dark chocolate, but now I think the 85% bar is delicious. You just have to get into the habit.

I wish I could find a place that sells the 90% or 99% bar.

Up here in Canada, I can get the 90% at all major supermarkets (including Safeway). The lowest price / best selection is actually at a store called London Drugs which is kind of like a K-mart. You can also go to their website and use the locator - but the actual Lindt stores here in Canada are nowhere close .. you may have better luck.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 10:46

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%

If you're near a World Market, they have 99% chocolate bars. I think it's 5 or 6 carbs in the whole bar, but one square is enough for me.

They're really awesome if you melt them over a double boiler, add some ginger and sea salt, then freeze. The saltiness cuts out some of the bitterness.