Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-23, 10:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Britain’s obesity problem is always someone else’s fault

Definitely a contentious issue!

Quote:
Britain’s obesity problem is always someone else’s fault

Experts downplay the role of exercise and a healthier culture of eating in favour of taxes and regulation

Every so often a bit of BBC archive material from the 1960s or 70s goes viral; either a vox pop video or footage of urban life. The differences are myriad; the cut-glass vowels, the London fog and red buses. People of all ages and classes appear exceptionally smartly-dressed, with not a tracksuit in sight. Most strikingly, almost no-one is fat. Current data bears this out. The average man now weighs almost a stone more than in 1993 while the average woman is 11 pounds heavier.

Clothes sizes in high-street shops have expanded commensurately too; pulling the wool over our eyes (and spare tyres). A woman’s size 12 today corresponds to 14-16 then, as you discover when trying on vintage or retro clothing. Stretchy waistbands were unknown.

This burgeoning problem brings ever more drastic calls for action. This week, government “food tsar” Henry Dimbleby urged ministers to treat junk food like cigarettes, with tobacco-style packaging. We already impose sugar taxes, advertising restrictions and order restaurants to display calorie counts on menus – perhaps because these are the easiest things to regulate.

But since the problem remains one of culture, such interventions are often fruitless, recalling Sir Humphrey’s “politicians’ logic” from Yes, Prime Minister; “Something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it.”

Contrary to common belief, we don’t actually “eat more” than our 60s and 70s forebears. All the evidence indicates that per capita consumption of sugar, salt, fat and calories has been falling in Britain for decades. What has changed radically is our relative exercise level. Millions of jobs have shifted from manual labour to offices. We drive where we previously walked or cycled.

Yet health gurus regularly dismiss the importance of exercise as a weight loss tool. “You can’t outrun a bad diet” is a common refrain, even though this is self-evidently untrue. Three of my friends are cycling fanatics. Using half your annual leave developing saddle sores bicycling across Europe isn’t my idea of fun, but they can (and do) eat anything they want and still look like they’ve wandered down from Mount Olympus.

Our slimmer forebears might not have been pumping iron at the gym, but they did spend long hours on their feet. Nevertheless some “experts” dispute or downplay the effects of activity in the face of common sense, history, even basic thermodynamics.

The quality of ordinary 60s and 70s food is often overstated; a limited range dominated by stews and basic roasts bulked up with pastry, batter, dumplings and vegetables that weren’t so much “boiled” as seethed into a murky gunge. Yet people observed proper mealtimes and rarely snacked.

Today, we have more variety than ever but less sense of ceremony around food. It’s become far more socially acceptable to scoff mindlessly on the sofa; and not just for urban dwellers for whom a proper dining table, let alone a dining room, may be the stuff of myth. Nations with lower obesity rates, such as France, have retained their mealtime rituals far better.

Variety and moderation are the keys to health, and yet society favours extremes, both in diets and in physical attributes. Male body ideals tend towards maximum henchness (compare the James Bond of athletic Sean Connery with hyper-muscled Daniel Craig).

Female fashion fluctuates between lauding obesity and skeletal thinness; rarely do “mid-sized models” (UK size 10–14) make an appearance. Some popular diets are equally drastic. For most people, cutting out entire food groups is unsustainable for long. Much of what passes for “clean eating” displays an unhealthy fetishisation of particular foods as “good” or “bad”.

Take the current mania over “Ultra-Processed Food”. Science writers such as Christopher Snowdon and Stuart Ritchie have complained that this singles out foods based on arbitrary criteria and may be too broad a category to be useful. For instance, most kinds of brown bread are deemed unhealthy simply because they contain a preservative that you wouldn’t find in your kitchen.

There are risks to encouraging uncertainty over whether a product is UPF or not, and a strong class element too, since non-UPF alternatives are often expensive. At its worst, dedication to this fad has become a quasi-moral exercise; a badge that the middle-classes can wear to prove their superior concern for their diets – more Mr Pooter than Mrs Beeton.

The whole debate often seems dogged by fatalism, with technocratic tweaks and nudges replacing personal responsibility. Obesity is never treated as anyone’s fault, but as a mystifying affliction. The very word “fat” is couched in euphemism. This week, one anti-sugar campaigner spoke of adults “living with overweight or obesity”, whatever that means. It is often claimed that due to poverty and “obesogenic environments”, maintaining a healthy diet is impossible for poorer households, but cooking from scratch is usually cheaper than grabbing a takeaway.

I don’t pretend to have all the answers, but more positive interventions are surely needed; encouraging people to learn to cook healthily and pursue an active lifestyle, rather than fruitlessly attempting to hector or tax them into compliance. A good start would be proper home economics classes in schools for both sexes; ideally covering not just meal preparation and nutrition but personal finance and budgeting. Ultimately, changing bad habits will depend on culture, willpower, and conscious choice.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ne-elses-fault/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-23, 14:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

That seems to be a meaningless rant. I remember the 50s, 60s, and 70s quite well. People were the same then as they are now. There were lots of office jobs where people sat at desks all day. People take as much personal responsibility now as they did then. The big difference is that people ate meats with saturated fats and drank whole milk. Now it's fat =-free junk food and vegetable 'milk'.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-23, 00:59

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Let us not forget that smoking cigarettes was a majority passtime for adults and many teens back then. Whether nicotine revs up the metabolism or was just a no calorie accompaniment to tea, coffee or beer, it certainly helped with the "no snacking" culture. Adults I knew who were trying to give up the habit often turned to sweets instead because they "had to" have something to entertain the mouth, and hence gained a few pounds.

Don't think smoking would be approved for weight loss today though, but who knows in this crazy world.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-23, 07:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
But since the problem remains one of culture

Is it? I don't think so. It's another article which constantly contradicts itself, so i doubt it has a point to make. But here in the US, data shows people tried to follow the Food Pyramid. We DID adjust our diets according to what we were told.

Now, I hear that 80% of the US population is obese. That's what happened. We were told all the wrong things, and we're STILL told all the wrong things.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-23, 17:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Let us not forget that smoking cigarettes was a majority passtime for adults and many teens back then. Whether nicotine revs up the metabolism or was just a no calorie accompaniment to tea, coffee or beer, it certainly helped with the "no snacking" culture. Adults I knew who were trying to give up the habit often turned to sweets instead because they "had to" have something to entertain the mouth, and hence gained a few pounds.

Don't think smoking would be approved for weight loss today though, but who knows in this crazy world.

I agree - smoking was definitely a factor in weight control.

There was of course the mouth entertainment factor - that cigarette kept their mouth as well as their hands occupied.

But I knew people that gave up smoking - and it wasn't so much that they needed mouth entertainment, but without smoking dulling their taste buds and olfactory senses (the smell of a food affects your overall enjoyment of the food), suddenly everything tasted so much better, and they were so thrilled with the taste of everything that they wanted to eat more and more.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-23, 19:48

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Is it? I don't think so. It's another article which constantly contradicts itself, so i doubt it has a point to make. But here in the US, data shows people tried to follow the Food Pyramid. We DID adjust our diets according to what we were told.

Now, I hear that 80% of the US population is obese. That's what happened. We were told all the wrong things, and we're STILL told all the wrong things.

That's definitely one of the biggest factors involved in the fattening of the population.

But that doesn't mean there's not other factors involved.

There's the proliferation now of ultra processed foods so readily available and easy to pop in your mouth while working at the computer, watching TV, or driving in the car.

There's the commercials while watching TV that whet your appetite to go grab a snack. Product placements during the TV show itself entice you to go get a snack of the product shown. Product placement during theater shown movies having the same effect to make you want to hit the snack bar. The small bag of popcorn (about a quart way back when) you used to buy to munch on while watching a movie - that's graduated to a 5 quart bucket of popcorn (which I understand some movies will do a free refill - what a bargain!)

So you exercise to work off the excess calories, but depending on what kind of exercise you're doing that may not help much, since you can certainly walk'n'munch at the same time. (I recall a TV commercial a few decades ago which showed us exactly how to do that - with a guy walking along a sidewalk, eating his bag of chips.)

Even Marathon runners keep carby snacks in their pockets so that they can keep their energy up (because most of them are running on carbs, and need to constantly top up their blood sugar to keep going)

People also drink a lot more empty calories now than we did 50-70 years ago. As was already pointed out, we had whole milk at meals (full of nutrients), maybe a little glass of juice at breakfast for vitamin C, and drank water in between. A small soft drink was a rarity, reserved primarily for special occasions. Now, there's at least a full aisle of sodas and sports drinks and vitamin waters and energy drinks and coffees (essentially coffee flavored-milk-shakes), and flavored teas, so you can easily consume a whole day's worth of calories without ever taking a bite of food - and consume all those calories in the form of sugars.

Add to that the desire to reward yourself for eating more and more of those rancid tasting hearthealthywholegrains, by eating a treat.

And that's not to mention those of us of a certain age who are physically slowing down while still having as much appetite as when younger, but not the stamina, muscle mass, and joint flexibility to work it off any more.

It all adds up over time, so that the younger you start eating like that, and the longer you eat like that, the harder it becomes to not only change your habits, and improve your strength and stamina, but also unload the excess weight.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-23, 05:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
People also drink a lot more empty calories now than we did 50-70 years ago.

I noticed it went into overdrive 20 years ago, when the Big Gulps and 2 liter Mountain Dews were welded into the hands of teens and young adults.

Though the six ounce sodas were still available when I was a child and we visited the grandparent's farm, in the old vending machines. But the cans were already 8 ounces at that time. Both were rare treats, not a daily staple.

Now, I see daily 16 ounce cups of coffee, grain "milks," flavorings, and sugar syrup. People down the equivalent of three or four candy bars and call it coffee. That's the Big Gulp of grown-ups now.

Yes, I agree with your point about smoking, too. This is connected.

Their taste buds have been beaten into submission and that's why so many seems to crave these over-flavored, sugar saturated, lab-created sensory bombs. Their coffee, breakfast, and snacks are all interchangeable now!