Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-23, 05:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default What vegans eat

I just watched the video, below, from a channel called Vegan Deterioration. This creator tracks vegans on Youtube and what conclusions she can draw about their true state of health.

Reaction to Unnatural Vegan's Snack Heavy Diet For Kids
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qEf-FfM...lQi6hpDJ8NpWffX

Unnatural Vegan is a women with a three and a six year old, so I understand she's coming out of a child's pickiest time with the older one, and in deep with the younger one, so I expected a lot of repetition. I agreed with the commenter that the fresh food was remarkedly low in variety, there were five or six that went into different combinations. I really expected more fruit.

But they ate strawberries and avocados, a clementine, some blueberries, with a grain or some pea-based item, most of it topped with a form of nut butter -- constantly. Everything else came in a box or bag. One shot of her pantry shows Snack Central with the crackers and chips.

When we looked at what food categories they focused on, the sheer manufactured bounty of plant-based items indicated a classic problem I had: I hated vegetables, and never got to liking them that much, except in their starchy addicting forms, of course.

Here's vegan variety: lentil or chickpea? Peanuts or almonds? Agave syrup or honey? Always plenty of sweetener from a variety of places.

The sweetener, and the chocolate. The mother buys many boxes of the Lara Bars, which were originally designed for wilderness hikers and climbers, and named the children's favorite flavors, they were always chocolate and some other flavor like caramel or nut. Essentially, the kids eat a lot of grains, starchy vegetables, nuts and fruit, which is also what they eat on the snack plates the mother is constantly fixing.

I saw plain boiled macaroni and so many soy chicken nuggets. In different shapes. She resists putting soy-based cheese on the pasta and vegetables but sighs and says it's the only way the children will eat them. A plate of pasta primavera with no sauce is not appealing to me, either.

And dinner is smoothies. With all those plant-based pea proteins I keep seeing in the stores. She says she's too tired to cook by evening and the children like smoothies. But I haven't seen her cook anything but bean dips and elbow macaroni but maybe these are snack plates. So many snacks.

I used to see devoted vegans cooking. They come up with ways to say they miss meat the same way Paleos start baking with nut flours But it doesn't matter what kind of fake meat or cheese or milk. It doesn't have nearly the nutrition that's on the label. It's all the same thing, which is why the fresh stuff sparkles so brightly on the plate.

Show me a plate of strawberries and ribeye, I'll take the ribeye. If I'm hungry. That's how we should be thinking. Berries are dessert.

And this vegan mother makes so many ick faces about the food she eats. The commenter says that is why she is eager for each new vegan thing, and makes a video about it.

Seeing it all stacked up like that was the opposite of tempting. Probably years of erosive issues have damaged my ability to digest a lot of plant-based, considering I must avoid gluten, soy, lectins, and oxalates. This supposedly-healthy diet would have me horribly sick within days.

We have doctors who have never seen scurvy, and that's one thing the plant-based people should have a lock on. But it comes up in kids who only eat packaged foods. These are not foods to that great an extent. We're feeding kids like the kidnapped sailors on the high seas navy. Whatever food was cheap and durable.

The four food groups, which I still think of as a "balanced" diet, because it's a reminder of the different kinds of food, was also marketing. But now we are all being herded into far less choice.

With the animal foods portion, where the nutrition is highest and the profit is lowest, is being eliminated as a competitor.

This whole thing was about marketing. From the very beginning, with Crisco and taking the grain germ from wheat and corn flour. And that led to a pellagra epidemic, just like the Middle Ages in Italy.

Maybe this is a low level malnutrion epidemic, all over again. A job for Public Health. That was really big a century ago, and made huge differences to the health of the populace.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-23, 05:52

BF:

Why Pea Is the Future of Plant Protein

Quote:
Key Takeaways
While soy and wheat gluten have been to go-to sources of plant-based protein, more food engineers are turning to peas because it's fast-growing and inexpensive.
Scientists are using a process called precision fermentation to recreate animal proteins, such as myoglobin and collagen.
When pea is heavily processed, it can become chemically similar to soy, which means it can be an allergen to some people.

Which illustrates the dangers of UPF-4. There's no soy warning on the pea protein at my local grocery store. I don't touch it because of the lectins.

Muscle builders can't fall for it because they SEE and FEEL their protein intake. They write honest assessments like this:

Quote:
Cons of Plant-based Protein Powder
Less Absorption of Protein. Plant-based proteins are less easily absorbed by the body than animal proteins. ...
Deficiency of Vitamin B. ...
Incomplete Protein. ...
High in Carbs. ...
Expensive.

But nobody reads that. People read the big online outlets and newspapers where there is no longer any line between ads and news.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-23, 09:01

BF:

#4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-23, 23:01

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
And dinner is smoothies. With all those plant-based pea proteins I keep seeing in the stores. She says she's too tired to cook by evening and the children like smoothies. But I haven't seen her cook anything but bean dips and elbow macaroni but maybe these are snack plates. So many snacks.

I'd say the real reason she's too tired to cook dinner is because she's vegan and not getting anywhere near sufficient nutrients to have enough energy to cook, after dealing with 2 little kids and putting together a constant stream of snack plates all day long.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-23, 04:56

BF:

Vegan Deterioration is a woman who was a vegan for several years. She has since become very knowledgeable on how nutrition is affecting the vegans she comments on.

She not only agrees with you, she has a video section where she explains why vegans are always so exhausted, and it's also anemia. She discussed how the phytic acid in the constant grains blocks what little iron they get. She knows it's best absorbed as heme iron, and they might take supplements. The scary part is they do not emphasize it as much as they should. Why can someone on an omnivore diet get told a multi-vitamin is good "just in case" and yet vegans claim they get everything from plants as long as their bodies are not "polluted" by animal foods.

Vegans have the most restricted diet on earth, you ask me. It's soy, legumes, and grains. I can't believe people go vegan for autoimmune... and last.

I would be one giant red ball of pain in one month.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-23, 07:17

BF:

I just found out her one year old doesn't crawl. Also, never breastfed any of them. I'm sickened.

Now that's a vegan mindset.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-23, 08:46

BF:

Yeah, I've heard of vegans who won't breastfeed.

Not CAN'T breastfeed for some reason, but WON'T breastfeed, because that would be feeding their child something that wasn't vegan.

She's supposedly so into making sure her children have proper nutrition (no matter how limited and repetitive the few foods on their constant snack trays are), and yet she somehow thought it was better not to breastfeed?

Even a vegan should be able to comprehend that if you don't think it's right for humans to consume the milk of another mammal, when your own baby is born and your body produces milk - that milk is intended for your baby.

The leaps of (il)logic are astounding.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-23, 11:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

The leaps of (il)logic are astounding.

Vegans substitute belief for science. It's such a pretty story they tell they feel it must be true.

Vegan and Plant-Based Diets Worsen Brain Health,·September 1, 2019
Summary: Eating a vegan or plant-based diet can be bad for your brain health, especially if you already have a low choline intake, researchers report.

https://neurosciencenews.com/vegan-...n-health-14845/
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-23, 17:16

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I believe everybody has the freedom to do things for pleasure or beliefs that might potentially shorten their lives as long as they don't directly harm others.

Some climb mountains, some hang glide, some smoke, some do drugs, some ride motorcycles, some cave dive, some go skiing, some go wilderness hiking, some go down in unapproved submersibles to see the Titanic, some eat diets that aren't good for them.

Ultimately the gamble is; a shorter life filled with more immediate pleasures vs. a longer life without some of those pleasures.

My parents both died too early due to obesity related diseases. Am I the wise one for denying myself the "live for today" pleasure of donuts, pie, pastries, and cake for a potentially longer life?

What if I got hit by a car and died at a younger age than my father? I would have lost the gamble, and missed the pleasure of the donuts (or whatever).

When my father died, and my mother had a few strokes, I saw that as my potential future. I was on my way to weighing 300 pounds like my parents. I gave up a lot of things that I truly love to eat, donuts, fried potatoes, brownies, cookies, and so on and went Atkins Induction (now keto).

In return, I got better health and a potential, but not guaranteed, longer life. So far, I've outlasted my father's span, but not my mothers, so I haven't really won the wager yet.

I disagree with the mother not wanting to nurse her infant, because she has a responsibility to do the best for the child, and science has proved that breastfeeding is better than formula.

But she could have nursed the child and then fed the child vegan foods which lack 7 essential nutrients you can't get from plants. Which she will probably do anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

My personal philosophy is you can do whatever you want in the pleasure vs. longevity battle, as long as you do not directly hurt other humans. That's what freedom and liberty is all about. But you do not have the right to make me adhere to your personal principles, as long as what I'm doing doesn't directly hurt other humans.

So put your soy in your coffee, and I'll choose organic heavy whipping cream. Eat your veggie-burger, and I'll eat 100% grass-fed beef. Get obese if you want, and I'll choose the cusp between normal and overweight. You can do drugs, and I'll have a glass of wine with my meal. Climb your mountains for fun, and I'll play my saxophone. Everybody has their own point between pleasure vs. potential longevity.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-23, 21:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

My one caveat is that diet affects health and medical conditions. That we all pay for.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-23, 00:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
My one caveat is that diet affects health and medical conditions. That we all pay for.

Not only that, vegan lies about their food products' affect on the global climate is dangerous for every living thing on the planet. Keeping us from restoring soil with more grazing animals.

They starve themselves, but let's not follow.

I completely agree with Bob's point about the odds and the risks, but I ran across something recently that really shook me up. It was a list of vegans and vegetarians who have passed away and their cause of death. There was, considering the small sample, a lot of dementia. And there were two mentions of Lewy body dementia.

This is notable because that used to be extremely rare. And yet, here's all this brain dysfunction turning up in the cause of death list.

The risk of that kind of suffering. Means I don't think there's enough Donuts in the world for me to take that risk.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-23, 09:23

BF:

In the case of the mother who is raising her children on a 100% vegan diet, HER choice to never feed them any animal products is very likely to be affecting their health in multiple ways. Those children have zero choice about what is put on their plates.

The mother is doing this to herself, as are many other vegans who decided as adults that they would never consume any products of animal origin. That affects her, and of course is her choice.

But her children? They're innocent in this scheme to keep all products of animal origins out of their mouths. Even if they are not currently showing signs of serious nutrient deficiency, we are not seeing the children, so we don't know if they are showing signs of nutrient deficiencies or not.

All we know about this situation is what this mother says she feeds her kids (Although the way she describes all her children as crying and screaming while she prepares dinner, by that time they've reached their limit - is it because it's late in the day and they're just plain worn out? Or because they are desperately hungry for some real food by that point? We don't know.

For all we know, the children may visit grandma at least once a week, and grandma may be sneaking meat, eggs, and other animal products into their diet - but again that's just a hopeful supposition for the children's sake.

No one has mentioned yet that the results of feeding a child a vegan diet can result in jail time:
Quote:
On May 16, the Royal Academy of Medicine of Belgium issued an opinion that will make it possible to imprison parents who enforce a vegan diet on their children.

The academy determined that veganism for kids is “unethical” because it can lead to health problems for growing children, the Belgian publication Le Soir reports (link in French). The animal-product-free diet isn’t technically prohibited, and the ruling doesn’t necessarily equate veganism with child neglect. However, it will make it easier to prosecute parents who impose the strict diet and whose children have health problems.

There have been similar concerns raised at a legislative level in Italy. But so far it's not illegal to raise a child on a vegan diet anywhere - it's only when the child's health deteriorates due to nutritional deficiencies that the parents can then be charged with neglect, with heavier penalties for any permanent damage due to the nutritional deficiencies.

Regarding concerns about her 1 year old not crawling: My brother is 18 months older than I am. He never learned to crawl until I started crawling, when he would have been about 2 years old. But it wasn't as if he was physically unable to move from point A to point B - He just pulled himself up and started walking at about 9 months of age, skipping right over learning to crawl. He was copying how he observed others (all adults) around him were moving from point A to point B, so he was copying what he was observing the adults doing. When he saw me crawling, he copied that action, and voila, he learned to crawl too.

Context is important, so while it's entirely possible (and sounds very likely) that the 1 year old is too weak from nutrient deficiencies to crawl, it's still possible that baby is just copying what it observes, as the older children are past the crawling stage.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-23, 09:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

Regarding concerns about her 1 year old not crawling: My brother is 18 months older than I am. He never learned to crawl until I started crawling, when he would have been about 2 years old. But it wasn't as if he was physically unable to move from point A to point B - He just pulled himself up and started walking at about 9 months of age, skipping right over learning to crawl. He was copying how he observed others (all adults) around him were moving from point A to point B, so he was copying what he was observing the adults doing. When he saw me crawling, he copied that action, and voila, he learned to crawl too.

Context is important, so while it's entirely possible (and sounds very likely) that the 1 year old is too weak from nutrient deficiencies to crawl, it's still possible that baby is just copying what it observes, as the older children are past the crawling stage.

My daughter never crawled but at 12 months old she started to walk in the normal way. She was definitely not eating a vegan diet. We need to be careful about letting our biases lead us to make wrong assumptions, which is not to say that I believe children should be fed vegan diets. I don't.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-23, 10:55

BF:

This was in the context of the child skipping crawling, but the child not crawling yet.

But this was mentioned from the comments, and I don't know the accuracy.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-23, 19:30

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

True, but so do the smokers, excess drinkers, obese people, skiers (it's so common, every movie with skiers has someone with a broken let), sport players (the #1 cause of childhood injuries), motorcyclists, hang gliders, and so many others.

As much as I think vegetarianism is wrong, I don't feel justified singling them out, when before I found keto, I was bordering on obesity.