Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What does or doesn't break a stall for you? (Multiple answers OK)
Changing fat, carb or calorie levels helps 68 53.13%
Changing fat, carb or calorie levels doesn't help 4 3.13%
Cutting dairy helps 21 16.41%
Cutting dairy doesn't help 8 6.25%
More or different exercise helps 42 32.81%
More or different exercise doesn't help 6 4.69%
Avoiding aspartame helps 7 5.47%
Avoiding aspartame doesn't help 19 14.84%
Avoiding sugar alcohols helps 44 34.38%
Avoiding sugar alcohols doesn't help 6 4.69%
Going on a meat fast helps 12 9.38%
Going on a meat fast doesn't help 10 7.81%
Atkins' Fat Fast helps 10 7.81%
Atkins' Fat Fast doesn't help 12 9.38%
Adding a certain supplement helps *please say which in a post! 13 10.16%
Adding a certain supplement doesn't help 9 7.03%
Adding coconut oil helps 0 0%
Adding coconut oil doesn't help 7 5.47%
Avoiding wheat or corn helps 18 14.06%
Avoiding wheat or corn doesn't help 5 3.91%
Changing my environment helps (lower stess, different geography etc. *please describe in a post) 8 6.25%
Changing my environment doesn't help 5 3.91%
Going organic or at least 'no manufactured foods' helps 11 8.59%
Going organic or at least 'no manufactured foods' doesn't help 8 6.25%
Nothing has helped so far 20 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 12:08

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Exclamation Big Poll: What does or doesn't break a stall for you?

Thought this might be a good way to get a handle graphically on what works for people and what doesn't.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 12:11
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

What stalls me.......LC bars

What breaks my stall.....two things, exercise and refeed with chinese food which I do once a month.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 12:18

The one thing that's worked for me so far (albeit unintentionally) is traveling to somewhere else... even though I've been a little less careful about my diet there and even though I've gotten *less* exercise there.

Which makes me wonder if it has something to do with excitement/interest (dopamine) etc. Who knows?! But anyway - I've come back from vacations and other trips several pounds lighter. It has come back, but I'd love to narrow down what it is about travel that helps! (Need to book an around-the-world trip or something) :P
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 12:22
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%
Talking

I voted now it wasn't there before. I chose:

Changing fat, more or different exercise, avoiding apartame and sugar alcohols, and supplements. I use OoO.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 00:52
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Increasing fat and calories has helped me. L-carnitine helped with energy levels, but not really weight loss. Nothing else has made much of a difference, although I'm interested in coconut oil. Has that helped anyone?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 08:12

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

Adding more water (not on the list) helped me break an itty bitty (one week) stall.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 09:02

Here's a little update on my own situation... I've been hovering in the 176-178 range for a long time (despite all sorts of efforts of course).

Sunday, after a modest Saturday, my weight bumped up to 178.2 with body fat of 37.2%. So Sunday I started taking 500mg of L-Carnitine with meals, also took an iron supplement, oil of oregano, a grapefruit extract-based anti-yeast supplement (2x) and some drops that supposedly boost the oxygen in what you're drinking. (Whatever, on that last point - I do know of someone who claims it helped, so will give it a shot.)

I had 3pc of (skinless) chicken from KFC and then pork ribs at a regular BBQ place for dinner as well as some other items during the day...

I had about 90 carbs, 140 grams of protein and 1800 calories. So this morning on the scale I was 176.4 lbs. with a body fat of 36.1%. That's the second-lowest scale reading I've had this month and the lowest body fat reading at all this month (maybe longer - just started using CalorieKing for tracking).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 15:37

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I voted "nothing has helped me yet" ....because, in the long term...anything I've done has been temporary. I upped my water intake several times...the first time I did that I lost 3 lbs. After that...zilch. I added more Taurine and a couple herbs to help my fluid retention....after losing 2 more lbs....zilch afterward. I've never tried coconut oil...I heard it might help someone with hypothyroidism. I certainly fall into that category...so I'll be looking for that. I did a candida cleanse that lasted a few months...the first few weeks of that caused me to drop a few lbs....but after that, zilch. I take Carnitine daily...but it only helps give me more energy. Fat fast, meat fast, avoiding grains, dairy, or sugar alcohols don't seem to change a thing. I seem to be in perpetual starvation mode.

Therefore...my next step is going to be a "refeed" for a day....I'm going to try it TODAY. Time will tell if this will start anything....
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 17:21

DerBlumers,

Thanks. By the way, do you recall what the rationale on taurine helping actually is?

Thanks,

CB

PS: Enjoy the refeed day!

Last edited by cbcb : Mon, Jun-14-04 at 17:38.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 17:31

Plan: My Own
Stats: 290/234/200 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

More exercise for me. I have been doing between 70-100 grams of carbs per day for a few weeks now and when I find I am not losing weight. It's because I didn't work out as hard as I should have.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 16:31

Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

I put that nothing works for me. When I exercise I may lose weight the first few days, but then nothing after that. When I up my water, nothing changes. When I increase or decrease my calories I either stay the same or gain weight. When I avoid aspartame, I stay the same. I have tried quite a few different tricks, but it either makes me gain weight, or I stall.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 16:09

BF:

CBCB:

The taurine was used extensively by Dr Atkins in treating people with fluid retention....getting them off their prescription diuretics. I was taking such a diuretic....and since my retention problem didn't seem to be related to hypertension or any heart problem....my doctor told me that if I could wean myself off using something natural, go ahead and try it. I take 3000 mg Taurine, extra B6, and a couple herbs every day......they were successful to the point that they got me off the diuretic.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 16:12

BF:

BTW....I did take a "refeed" day Monday.....but I had a hard time enjoying it...

It caused immense BLOAT....achiness....apparently I hadn't been aware of how much better I felt eating low carb....and when I went backward for a day....the difference was dramatic. One thing is clear: I NEED to be low carb!!!!

#14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 08:25

Stats: 195/136.5/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:33.5%/23.4%/21.5%
Progress: 84%

For me, I bumped up the amount of hours I did not eat before bedtime to 6 and it got me over a stall.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 09:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default contemplating a refeed need advice

Hi all ~
I have been stalled for almost 2 months and have added supplements, added water, etc... I exercise 5-6 times a week both cardio and light weights. I am desparate for a scale change and am ready to try a refeed but don't know how. How many carbs should I eat? One day or 2? Do I do induction again right after? Has anyone done this successfully? Please share your secrets ............

Thanks.