Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:05

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 176/166/150 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default How I Got Induction to Actually Start Working...

Hi everyone,

So I was on Induction for two weeks, and although I'd dropped two pounds, I wasn't going any further. I was religiously eating less than 20g of "net carbs" a day, exercising, and all, but I wasn't going any lower. More specifically, I would drop a pound or two lower, then rebound right back up. This happened several times, and I was sure frustrated.

Then, following the advice of people on this board, I threw out all of my Atkins Advantage Bars and anything else that was sweetened with sugar alcohols. Atkins says that only the "net carbs" matter, but I remembered losing weight once on Atkins *before* the bars were available, and lo and behold, once I threw them out, I started losing every day! IGNORE THE "NET CARBS" LIE! At least, if you're having trouble losing on Atkins. Count total carbs, including all of those fake sugars that Atkins claims don't affect you. They sure affected me.

Also, I had been drinking lots of carb-free beverages that contained citric acid (Fruit-2-O and others), which I heard on this board was a staller. I cut out all of those and started drinking only pure, natural water.

So, a week after throwing out all the bars and drinks with citric acid, I'm now down six pounds! And what's more, once I gave up those sweet, too-good-to-be-true Atkins bars, I've been SO MUCH LESS HUNGRY that it's ridiculous. I don't crave anything now.

It's too bad that Atkins' company is undermining the success of their own diet by trying to make money off unknowing, trusting people, with these pre-packaged products... Rather than dishonestly saying that Net Carbs are all that matter, they should really warn on the box that some people are affected by them just as they are by regular carbs, and to proceed with caution...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:55
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Great post, and you are absolutely right.

This WOE is about learning how to live healthy; and refined, processed, chemical laden food is not the way!

Meat, fat, vegetables, and fruit if appropriate for you. That's the way to go!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 15:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I second that-- Great post! So, very true . . . .
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:53
Registered Member

Stats: 211/175/155 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Question

I sure appreciated your information. I have lost 40 poundsw but am just sitting here. I have been eating the "0" carb bars and thought I was doing right - what did I know. we will see what happens next week when I weight without the goodies. I am having a problem with constipation. I started eating flax which doesn't seem to be doing anything. Do you have any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefire03
Hi everyone,

So I was on Induction for two weeks, and although I'd dropped two pounds, I wasn't going any further. I was religiously eating less than 20g of "net carbs" a day, exercising, and all, but I wasn't going any lower. More specifically, I would drop a pound or two lower, then rebound right back up. This happened several times, and I was sure frustrated.

Then, following the advice of people on this board, I threw out all of my Atkins Advantage Bars and anything else that was sweetened with sugar alcohols. Atkins says that only the "net carbs" matter, but I remembered losing weight once on Atkins *before* the bars were available, and lo and behold, once I threw them out, I started losing every day! IGNORE THE "NET CARBS" LIE! At least, if you're having trouble losing on Atkins. Count total carbs, including all of those fake sugars that Atkins claims don't affect you. They sure affected me.

Also, I had been drinking lots of carb-free beverages that contained citric acid (Fruit-2-O and others), which I heard on this board was a staller. I cut out all of those and started drinking only pure, natural water.

So, a week after throwing out all the bars and drinks with citric acid, I'm now down six pounds! And what's more, once I gave up those sweet, too-good-to-be-true Atkins bars, I've been SO MUCH LESS HUNGRY that it's ridiculous. I don't crave anything now.

It's too bad that Atkins' company is undermining the success of their own diet by trying to make money off unknowing, trusting people, with these pre-packaged products... Rather than dishonestly saying that Net Carbs are all that matter, they should really warn on the box that some people are affected by them just as they are by regular carbs, and to proceed with caution...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:54

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I increasingly believe that eating a more natural diet like Neanderthin or Paleo is the way to go.

I eat lots of nuts and vegtables, and probably get more fiber than I ever did before I started low-carb.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 17:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

You only eat the net carbs of everything? Even things w/ fiber? do you minus the fiber in nuts, veggies? Bou do i feel guilty if you do , and ive been taking full advantage of the fiber subtraction to get my net carbs. can you explain please? thanks gina.(turtle)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 19:59
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Gina, you can subtract the fiber carbs. Just count the sugar alcohol carbs in your total.

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 10:29

Stats: 222/195/160 Male 5 ' 7 "
BF:
Progress: 44%

I should have known those candy bars were too good to be true. And deep down I think I did, it was just a legal way to cheat.

Its sad to think some people will not come to the same conclusion and think their metabolism is resistant or worse that it is just another fad diet that doesn't work.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 21:17

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Yep, sadly, I have to count sugar alcohols. If I don't, I just don't lose weight. It sucks, but that is the way it is.

Orchid
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 22:12
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default True Atkin's Induction Rules

Folks,

Induction is not just "under 20gC" net carbs a day. I went back and re-read the induction menus and rules recently. Please also realize that induction was created BEFORE Dr. Atkins allowed fibre to be subtracted from carb totals!

The original induction was 20gC TOTAL CARBS for the day. That's the real 1972 Original Atkins Induction.

In a nutshell, you are only to eat fowl, beef, pork, lamb, eggs, fish, shellfish and diary products such as cheese, cream* and butter.

*Note that there is also a limit of 2-3 tbs of cream a day on induction.

Only TRUE low-carb veggies allowed - mainly lettuces and things like cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus (see the induction vegetable list).

NO CAFFIENE, NO ASPARTAME or ASPARTAME beverages. All artificial sweeteners cost you 1G or CARB no matter WHAT it says on the packet.

NO BREAD. I don't care if the bag says 'OK for INDUCTION' It's not in the rules.

NO FRUIT. I don't care what fruit it is; clearly no allowed.

NO NUTS or SEEDS. Really? Yes, I found this one to be mind blowing (some of the Induction sample menus in the book have nuts and seeds in them!)

Look at the Twelve Rules of Induction; I will single out the one's I see ignored by people on this board regularly:

1,2,3 * no problem

4. "Eat ABSOLUTELY no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starcchy vegetables, or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat NUTS, or SEEDS in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and cabohydrates such as chick peas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time."

- Rule 4 note: people are eating low-carb tortillas and bread because they are "low-carb". Sorry, not in the rules. Even strawberries, rasberries, blueberries and melons are not allowed on induction.

5,6,7,8 * no problem

9. "Avoid food or drinks sweetened with Aspartame. Instead, use sucralose or saccharin. Be sure to count EACH packet of anyone of these as 1 GRAM OF CARBS."

- Rule 9 Note: You count 1G whether the packet says 0.2g or 0.5 or 0.8. Count 1G!!!!!

10. "Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been known to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar."

- Rule 10 note: I admit it, I am addicted to caffeine. If I stop for 2 days I get headaches. However, rule 10 clearly says to avoid these beverages for two weeks.

11, 12 * no problem.

Quotes taken from "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" Chapter 11, And Away You Go: The Induction Phase, pg 122,123,124 ISBN 0-06-001203-X

Rules are to be OBEYED. If you are not following ALL the rules, you cannot call what you are doing INDUCTION.

Please realize that this book has been added to so many times that there are contradictions through-out the book. That's just human nature and Dr. Atkin's wasn't out there to mislead anyone.

I always wondered why I could not do induction and so many others had done it! What was wrong with me? My problem is I'm too bloody anal and follow rules too strictly!!!!

Hey, if you break a few of the rules and still lose 15lbs in TWO WEEKS WHO CARES???? I put my hands together and pump my fist in the air - awesome!

My issue is with the many people who are honestly trying to follow the induction "rules" they have been told and can't get things going.

Re-read the Induction chapter and start Induction clean. It's a tough two weeks; I've never gotten past THREE DAYS without giving up.

If you are truly stuck, then re-visit these rules; it will help you troublehoot your stall.

Good luck!

PS I'm not afraid of criticism; FLAME ME PLEASE! I have a journal on the board; you are free to put in your 2 cents worth.

Tom.

Last edited by tomsej : Sat, May-29-04 at 22:33. Reason: Add eggs and change two to two-three
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 18:21

Stats: 202/159/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:30
Progress: 60%
Default thanks for the truth

I too was fooled by the "net carb total stuff". Now that I have learned the truth I am once again loosing.......slowly......but surely. Thanks for your post.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 03:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

thankyou guys for all the great info, pretty much backing up what i really know...just need to adhear too. Im seriously thinking of going back & doing another 2 weeks induct. 1972 version to see if it really makes a difference. The problem that i think is going on is that i only have about 15 lbs to loose so that adds to it. Thanks for the boost!! gina.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 04:05
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

This is an excellent post, with excellent responses! I wish everyone ...well not only on the board... but in general who complains that low carb doesn't work for them could read an understand this.
Thanks! (grin) hopefully it can be posted as a link to many many questions now.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 21:53
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Latest Rules on Atkins Website - 13 now!

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

The "three cups of lettuce" in the 1972 version is still in the new book. It's crazy.

Once cup of romaine lettuce is about 0.3gC net. I eat about 5-6 cups.

I honestly prefer Protein Power due to it's simplicity and minimal rules.

Their "Induction" is Phase 1 and is 30g net carbs. Much, much easier.

Here is the link; I'll let you decide!

http://www.eatprotein.com/faq/faq.html

Tom.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I did my induction the hard way.

It worked.