Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 23:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default should i cheat to get going?

i've been on this diet for about a month and i have lost NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 23:52
Registered Member

BF:

sorry bout that i pressed submit before i finished writing it. anyway i was thinking about cheating on heaps of carbs then going on an egg or meat fast. would this help me lose weight? i just getting sooooooooo frustrated your opinons would be greatly aprieciated.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 00:11

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexxa

I know how you feel... I was on a 5 week stall. I have tried everything.. I cheated for 2 days, Nothing! Eat less, Nothings! Eat More, Nothing! so I just continued my deit, hoping soemthing will move..
and this week, a pound! and yesterday, another one! eventually it moves.. Just don't give up. You know what he allternative is, right? the alternative is to get off this WOE and gain all the weight back..
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 05:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexxa

I think either your body type is not made for results on the Atkin's Diet, or you need to go back and read the chapter on induction because you are possibly doing something wrong.

I have to tell you, almost all the people I've met in the past year have all lost at least 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks of induction. The rare few who don't have the wrong body type, or are making mistakes in what they eat.

I've had many stalls during the past 10 months on this WOE, but definitely not in the first 4 weeks, where I lost 15 pounds.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 06:20

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

Whoa whoa. There are all kinds of posts from folks who don't lose in the first couple weeks. It's weird (to most of us), but it does happen.

There's a chapter in DANDR about being metabolically resistant. I would read that, there are some medications and other reasons this can happen. Also, from reading this board, many folks recommend giving up "frankenfoods" if you've been eating them during this time.

OK, here's my anecdote: One woman in our office started on Atkins in February. She was so excited. She brought in whole chickens and other things to eat. She had taken the test in the book, and realized that sugar had been ruining her life. The slow-down in the afternoon, the disoriented sleepy hours... A few days into Atkins she was alert all day with more energy than she ever had. The bad news? She lost no weight for the first month! And she stayed on induction! She stuck with it, and started to watch it pour off in month two.

By June, eight of us had started Atkins, and we all lost a bunch in the first two weeks, but I'm so grateful that woman went before us because she's happier, more energetic and 27 pounds lighter. She looks great. If it were me, I would have gotten discouraged in a month of no weight loss. Also, she's proceeded to go through several stalls of 4-6 weeks, but she just stays with the diet, and then loses. Again, that would bum me out, but watching her body change - the total long-term payoff - reminds me that I'll be glad I stuck with it. I can either be 3 months, 6months, or a year older and look the same. Or I can be a bit older and a bit thinner!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It could be what you are or are not eating, so what are you eating and are you drinking lots of water?

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:23

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Should You Cheat....???

Well I'm going through the same thing..2 week stall... At any rate, I have been reading a lot on fasting and refeeding (overating for a day or 2)...

The jury is still out on whether refeeding works for everyone... Here is a link of people discussing it and what happened with them....

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=119509

Also some people prefer to do the fasts...or go back on induction... Some people say tweeking high sodium foods...eliminating them works.... Some people say if you are eating too much protein that may cause it... Do some research...start by charting everything you put in your mouth to see how many calories you are consuming, because if you are consuming too many the concensus is that you will not lose... Also try increasing your water...

Read the posts in this room to see what others are doing...

You have to find the best approach for your body type...I'm trying a refeed this weekend...for one entire day...I'll let you know next week what happens...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 20:24
Registered Member

BF:

thank you for your advice, i am drinking lots or water, when i was on the diet before i was eating exactly what i'm eating now. i'm going to go on the egg and meat fast, if that doesn't work i will probly lose my mind with frustration and run around my house screaming, then i'll come back to this forum and cry about my problems to every one. i going to refeed my self on sunday then start the egg and meat fast, i'll come back and inform you all of my progress.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:45

Thumbs up Attempting It Myself....will Let You Know...

Well good to you and I will let you know how it works for me too... Keep the faith because that fat fast is difficult...lol
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:47
Registered Member

BF:

crap crap crap, i just binged on carbs for TWO DAYS IN A ROW! ahhhhhhhh i kept justifying what i had done by telling my self eating carbs would shock the system and get me loseing weight blah blah blah....
my tummy really really hurts
i wish i didn't do that, but tommorrow is the begining of my meat and egg fast, like i said before i'll come back and tell you how i did,
fingers crossed! wish me luck!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:32

Lightbulb Refeed Trials...

Well day 1 after REFEED...full of energy...bloated though.... Stuck mostly to simple carbs.... My hips have definited expanded...that's usually where my weight shows up first.... Didn't get on the scales though...will wait until tomorrow...

But, I'm going to eat right today, exercise, and follow my weekly goals... Will post later this week on my progress....

Alexxa....don't know if I would have done it for 2 days...I only did 24 hours and I kept it to simple sugars... Also, I don't have any cravings today at all....back on 20-30 carbs a day.... Like I said, feeling energized...
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 02:02
Registered Member

BF:

today, after my 2 day carb binge, i feel really sick, i'm so bloated and scared to death to stand on the scales! i feel really really heavy, i don't think i'll weigh myself untill next week,
i really lost my appetite too, but i manage to shove 8 eggs and a can on tuna into my mouth however that is only 800 cals, but i can't eat anymore
i was going to exercise today but its raining outside, i guess i'll start tommorrow (any excuse)
skeeweeaka- tell me how your first day went
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:32

Thumbs up Lots Of Energy Post Refeed...

Well I must say that I do feel a little bloated...but have been drinking plenty of water to eleviate that... Also I don't have any cravings...went directly back to low carbing with 20 carbs this week.... I also had more energy than I usually have on low carb with 20 carbs... so it felt great when I exercised...step aerobics...

Today I plan on walking and doing some weight lifting...upper body... I did notice that my hips are wider again....that's usually the first place where my weight shows up... I did get on the scales today and am up 4 pounds... We'll see where I am on Friday.... Other than that I do feel great though...

Now I understand why weight lifters do this because it does give you tons of energy to use for your exercise during the week...

Good luck, hope you feel better today...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:23
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

i'm curious about the results myself. I'm thinking about doing a refeed in about 10 days. I noticed that at the end of my 2 week induction cycle..i usually go buck wild w/ carbs and gain. a pound or 2.
What foods did you guys eat on your refeed days???
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:49

Default Refeeding...and Foods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpeach
i'm curious about the results myself. I'm thinking about doing a refeed in about 10 days. I noticed that at the end of my 2 week induction cycle..i usually go buck wild w/ carbs and gain. a pound or 2.
What foods did you guys eat on your refeed days???

Peach....they really suggest doing high GI foods the first part of the refeed and then transitioning to low GI foods for the remainder of the refeed...but they also suggest keeping it at low fat options...

For suggestions, see this thread....

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=16165

Hope this helps...I ate a lot of sugary items....felt really bloated...and definitely gained some weight back...but today...Tuesday....I am down 2 pounds... We'll see how I look on Friday.... I hope the scales show some progress...beyond my weight prior to starting....

Like I've said before...it depends on your body....those who do it says it speeds up their weight loss as well as gives them more energy for their exercise sessions immediately afterwards...