Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 15:40

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 292/286/235 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 11%

I started a pure Ketogenic diet 3 days ago so I plan on keeping a careful eye on how deep into Ketsosis I go. I picked up Bayer brand "Ketostix" at my local drug store (CVS) but haven't taken a reading yet. I will probably do my first reading in a couple more days.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 15:40

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias
I started a pure Ketogenic diet 3 days ago so I plan on keeping a careful eye on how deep into Ketsosis I go. I picked up Bayer brand "Ketostix" at my local drug store (CVS) but haven't taken a reading yet. I will probably do my first reading in a couple more days.

When do you usually take your readings???
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 15:51

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 292/286/235 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gould
When do you usually take your readings???

IDK, like I said.. I just started a couple days ago and haven't tested yet. I plan on testing first thing in the mornings though (first urination) as I drink a lot of water throughout the day and I feel this will give me the best reading (for me).
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 15:56

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
IDK, like I said.. I just started a couple days ago and haven't tested yet. I plan on testing first thing in the mornings though (first urination) as I drink a lot of water throughout the day and I feel this will give me the best reading (for me).

Makes seance. i do the same myself. only started testing. bought a kit and just wanted to make sure i was getting there with ketosis.

happy that i am
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 16:27

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

I've read that the Keto sticks only read one type of sugar/protein that is being excreted while low carbing. Some of us excrete other types instead – which the sticks do not register.

Personally, I never get more than a beige/slight pink on those sticks, while dropping tons of weight. So I quit testing.

I use the bad breath method. If I can clear a room at work by singing the national anthem, my diet is working. (Wish I had a better test though.)
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 22:30

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Amazon sells them for 8 dollars for 100
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 22:35

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
I've read that the Keto sticks only read one type of sugar/protein that is being excreted while low carbing. Some of us excrete other types instead – which the sticks do not register.

Personally, I never get more than a beige/slight pink on those sticks, while dropping tons of weight. So I quit testing.

I use the bad breath method. If I can clear a room at work by singing the national anthem, my diet is working. (Wish I had a better test though.)

I'm so lucky I don't get the breath.... or maybe I do....?
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 08:14

BF:
Progress:
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
I'm so lucky I don't get the breath.... or maybe I do....?

Its something i have not really noticed myself. maybe it is and other people can smell it . who knows all i know is i have lost a lot of weight
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 16:08

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gould
just had a look on Ebay you can get them there and if they have them there they must be available other places online and prob cheaper

Try Amazon.com. They sell everything!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 16:10

BF:

Quote:

Morning is when you will get your weakest reading. The science behind that statement is, you have been fasting all night long. Your body uses the ketones for energy so you do not excrete as many ketones after sleeping. The best time is during the day or in the evening before bed-time.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 16:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew

Ketostix measure the ketone bodies (read:ash from burned fat molecules). The higher your fat intake the higher your ketone reading will be. IT forces your liver to use fat stores for energy in conjunction with your ingested fat. Ketones are also excreted in your breath, your sweat, your bowel movements etc.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 17:54

Plan: Dr. Atkin's
Stats: 216/206.4/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

i ordered my ketostix from amazon as well - not sure if it's because i live in hawaii, but the same bottle on amazon for $8 costs $28 here. yikes!!

i used them every day when i started lc'ing years ago, and it really helped to see a visual validation of what i knew was happening (my body is eating itself!!). i fell off the wagon for a long time, and am using them as a tool to help keep me motivated.

as long as i'm not cheating, i always register high ketone levels. especially at night a few hours after exercise.

i guess it depends on your body and if you register ketones. if you don't, i can see how it can be misleadingly disappointing. just my $.02!!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 11:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagrrl
i ordered my ketostix from amazon as well - not sure if it's because i live in hawaii, but the same bottle on amazon for $8 costs $28 here. yikes!!

i used them every day when i started lc'ing years ago, and it really helped to see a visual validation of what i knew was happening (my body is eating itself!!). i fell off the wagon for a long time, and am using them as a tool to help keep me motivated.

as long as i'm not cheating, i always register high ketone levels. especially at night a few hours after exercise.

i guess it depends on your body and if you register ketones. if you don't, i can see how it can be misleadingly disappointing. just my $.02!!

It could mean that even though you are in ketosis, your body uses ketones so efficiently that you don't have much to excrete in your urine to register. If you are losing weight and are eating a low carb/high fat diet, you are in ketosis. Trust the science.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 13:16

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazLaJauna
It could mean that even though you are in ketosis, your body uses ketones so efficiently that you don't have much to excrete in your urine to register. If you are losing weight and are eating a low carb/high fat diet, you are in ketosis. Trust the science.

very true
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 17:43

Plan: 20 carbs a day or less
Stats: 163/156/15 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

I usually test in the afternoon and test between 40 and 80. I try to maintain 20 carbs a day or less. I like them just because it give me a little extra incentive that i am on the right track